1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hallow I found it very difficult to understand why the calculation

1. Sep 9, 2011 #1
    Hallow!! I found it very difficult to understand why the calculation

Hallow!! I found it very difficult to understand why the calculation for deducing the capacitance of the parallel plate capacitor differs from that of spherical and cylindrical capacitor...
    In the sense that, the electric field in parallel plate capacitor is obtained as a resultant of the electric field due each capacitor..IE. The electric field is twice that produced by each plate... But for spherical and cylindrical capacitor the electric field used to obtain the potential difference across the surfaces and hence the capacitance, is as if only one surface is responsible for the electric field...
    Now which is which...??
    Personally am comfortable with using the electric field as the resultant of two fields from each surface.. Based on coulombs law of static electricity...

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 9, 2011 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Re: Capacitors

Ask yourself: What's the field within the cavity of a hollow spherical conductor that carries a charge?

4. Sep 9, 2011 #3

Doc Al

My point is this: For all three configurations--parallel plate, cylindrical, and spherical--you can always find the field between the plates by adding the contribution from each plate. But in the latter two configurations, the outer plate contributes nothing.

5. Sep 15, 2011 #4

Now that's what confusing, see this, in all capacitors both charges, positive and negative are present, whats makes the other geometries different to the parallel plate?

6. Sep 15, 2011 #5

Doc Al

In the cylindrical and spherical capacitors, one conductor encloses the other. Not so in the parallel plate arrangement.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook