Proofing Capacitance: Understanding Electrostatics

• Thread starter Humanist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of capacitance and how it relates to the charge and electric potential of a capacitor. The engineer explains their understanding of capacitance and how it is affected by the size and geometry of the conductors. They also mention using this understanding to solve problems in their mechanic courses.
Humanist
Hello everyone, I'm an engineer, and though I highly doubt I'd use this in my mechanic courses...I do truly want to understand what it is I'm putting into application here:

So I'm going to explain my understanding of capacitance, be prepared for an extensive reading. I'm doing this because I feel like if I'm explaining things to people, I'll understand the underlying concept to an extent that doing problems alone will not. Here it goes (please correct me in any area that I'm wrong in, this is a very basic and humble understanding of my knowledge in electrostatics), also it would be helpful if you wrote along what I'm saying to see where I'm mistaken:

Assume parallel-plated capacitor (PPC) and in a vacuum -

Capacitance (C) is the ratio of charge (Q) to the electric potential (V) of the two conductors in a capacitor, where C is measured in one Farad (Coulomb/Volt). Capacitance is the ability of a capacitor to store charge, and therefore store energy.

Proofing that Electric field (E) of PPC is E = Q / (epsilon-nought x Area of plate):
In a single charged plate, we find through using a Gaussian surface that flux will be equal to 2EA. Setting 2EA equal to Q enclosed over epsilon-nought (Gauss's law) where Q is equal to sigma times Area of Gaussian surface, we find that the electric field for one charged plate is E = sigma / 2epsilon-nought.

Now, in a capacitor, with two charged plates (one negatively charged/one positively charged) the Electric field will be twice that of E = sigma / 2epsilon-nought since the electric field of the negative plate and positive plate are traveling in the same direction (From positive plate to negative plate). So, our Electric field equation for a PPC will be E = Sigma / epsilon-nought. Where Sigma = Charge per unit Area, we also derive E = Q / epsilon-nought x A.

Because the electric field is uniform and given a distance (d) between the two charged plates, we can find the electric potential of the capacitor. From the negative plate to the positive plate, the Electric potential (V) is measured as electric field (E) times the distance between the plates (d). From the previous paragraph, we found E of a PPC is E = Q / epsilon-nought x A. Plugging in, we then get the electric potential (V) = Qd/ (epsilon-nought x A).

Having obtained the Electric potential (V), we then plug into the equation C = Q/V and get:
C = (epsilon-nought x A) / d

Looking at this equation, I conclude that the capacitance of a capacitor is therefore independent of the charges placed on each conductors and is dependent on the sizes of the conductors.

This is what I got out after piecing bits of information on capacitance, and was written through by analysis. Just wanted to confirm if my thinking process was correct in figuring out the capacitance this way, and if there's anything wrong, please let me know. This basic understanding of capacitance will help me understand way more things that I'm doing right now for a course...

Physics news on Phys.org
Humanist said:
... I conclude that the capacitance of a capacitor is therefore independent of the charges placed on each conductors and is dependent on the sizes of the conductors.
Yes, it is. That's like saying that the length of a ruler doesn't depend on what it measures or the resistance of an ideal wire is independent of the amount of current it is carrying. The charge you put on a capacitor is just something that you do TO the capacitor and does not change its fundamental properties. It has capacitance whether it carries any charge or not.

Humanist said:
Having obtained the Electric potential (V), we then plug into the equation C = Q/V and get:
C = (epsilon-nought x A) / d
Not εo. This will be ε which is short-hand for the product εoεr.

Looking at this equation, I conclude that the capacitance of a capacitor is therefore independent of the charges placed on each conductors and is dependent on the sizes of the conductors.
... dependent on the geometry of the plates (area of plates and their separation), as well as the dielectric.

1. What is capacitance and how does it relate to electrostatics?

Capacitance is the ability of a material or object to store electric charge. It is directly related to electrostatics, as it determines how much charge can be stored and how easily it can be transferred between objects.

2. How do you measure capacitance?

Capacitance can be measured by using a device called a capacitance meter. This device applies a known voltage to the object and measures the resulting charge, which can then be used to calculate the capacitance using the equation C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is voltage.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The capacitance of an object is affected by several factors, including the material it is made of, its shape and size, the distance between the object and other charged objects, and the dielectric constant of the surrounding medium.

4. How does capacitance impact electronic devices?

Capacitance plays a crucial role in electronic devices, as it allows for the storage and transfer of electric charge, which is necessary for the functioning of many components such as capacitors, transistors, and integrated circuits. Understanding and controlling capacitance is essential for designing reliable and efficient electronic devices.

5. Can capacitance be used for anything other than storing charge in electronic devices?

Yes, capacitance has many practical applications outside of electronics. It is used in power factor correction to improve the efficiency of electrical systems, in sensors to measure temperature, humidity, and pressure, and in touch screens to detect touch input. It is also used in tuned circuits for filtering and frequency selection in radio and television receivers.