Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain

In summary: S_0|1\rangle=S_0\cdot(0\cdot|1\rangle)+1\cdot|1\rangle=|1\rangle## and similarly for the other spin matrices.4. Substitute these actions into the Hamiltonian and simplify using the basic properties of matrix multiplication. For example, we have $$H=\frac{1}{2}\bigg(\sum_{i=0}^{L-1}P_{ij}-\frac{L}{2}I\bigg)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix
vbrasic

Homework Statement

[/B]
A 1D spin chain corresponds to the following figure:
my99pDT.png

Suppose there are ##L## particles on the spin chain and that the ##i##th particle has spin corresponding to ##S=\frac{1}{2}(\sigma_i^x,\sigma_i^y,\sigma_i^z)##, where the ##\sigma##'s correspond to the Pauli spin matrices in the $z$-basis, so that ##\sigma_i^z## is diagonal. The goal of my code is to implement the Lanczos algorithm to tri-diagonalize the Hamiltonian for a 1D spin chain. However, to do so, I need to know the action of the Hamiltonian on a random vector ##v##. However, I'm having a lot of trouble computing the Hamiltonian/it's action to begin with.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Here is where I am getting confused. My professor defines $$S_{i}\cdot S_j=\frac{1}{4}\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & -1 & 2 & 0 \\ 0 & 2 & -1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$ which is just the standard tensor product between two spin matrices. He then goes onto say that $$P_{ij}=2S_i\cdot S_j-\frac{1}{2}I=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix},$$ where ##I## is the identity matrix. Clearly it is the case that ##P_{ij}## is just a permutation matrix which permutes ##i## with ##j##. He then goes onto say that the Hamiltonian for the spin chain is $$H=\sum_{i=0}^{L-1}S_i\cdot S_{i+1}=\frac{1}{2}\bigg(\sum_{i=0}^{L-1}P_{ij}-\frac{L}{2}I\bigg).$$ My question is, how do I compute this Hamiltonian? What is ##j## in the summation? Alternatively, how can I figure out the action of this Hamiltonian on a random vector ##v##, as is necessary for the Lanczos algorithm?

You can see my prof's full notes here.

Attachments

• my99pDT.png
    my99pDT.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 914
Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, let's clarify the notation. In the Hamiltonian $$H=\sum_{i=0}^{L-1}S_i\cdot S_{i+1},$$ the index ##i## represents the position of the particle on the spin chain, not the particle itself. So, for example, if we have a spin chain with 5 particles, the Hamiltonian would look like this: $$H=S_0\cdot S_1+S_1\cdot S_2+S_2\cdot S_3+S_3\cdot S_4.$$

Now, to compute the action of the Hamiltonian on a random vector ##v##, we can use the following steps:

1. Write the vector ##v## as a linear combination of basis vectors. For example, if we have a spin chain with 5 particles, we can write ##v## as $$v=c_1|0\rangle+c_2|1\rangle+c_3|2\rangle+c_4|3\rangle+c_5|4\rangle,$$ where ##c_i## are coefficients and ##|i\rangle## represents a basis vector with all particles in the spin up state except for the ##i##th particle which is in the spin down state.

2. Use the definition of the spin matrices to write out the action of each ##S_i## on the basis vectors. For example, we have $$S_0|0\rangle=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1 \\ 0\end{pmatrix}=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 \\ 1\end{pmatrix}=|1\rangle,$$ since ##S_0|0\rangle=|1\rangle## and similarly for the other spin matrices.

3. Use the definition of the dot product to write out the action of ##S_i\cdot S_{i+1}## on the basis vectors. For example, we have $$S_0\cdot S_1|0\rangle=S_0(S_1|0\rangle)=S_0|1\rangle=S_0(|0\rangle)=\frac{1}{2}\begin{pmatrix}0 & 1 \\ 1 & 0\end{pmatrix}\

1. What is a Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain?

A Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain is a mathematical representation of the energy of a system of interacting spins aligned in one dimension. It describes the dynamics and behavior of the system based on the interactions between the spins.

2. How is the Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain calculated?

The Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain is typically calculated using the Ising model, which takes into account the interactions between nearest neighbor spins and an external magnetic field. The resulting equation is then solved using techniques such as mean-field theory or exact diagonalization.

3. What are the factors that affect the Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain?

The Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain is affected by the strength of the interactions between the spins, the presence of an external magnetic field, and the temperature of the system. These factors can lead to different energy states and behaviors of the system.

4. How does the Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain relate to other physical systems?

The Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain is a simplified model that can be applied to various physical systems, such as ferromagnets, liquid crystals, and superconductors. It shares similar mathematical properties with other systems, making it a useful tool for studying and understanding their behavior.

5. What are some applications of the Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain?

The Hamiltonian for a 1D-spin chain has been used in various fields, including condensed matter physics, statistical mechanics, and quantum computing. It has also been applied in studying phase transitions, quantum entanglement, and the behavior of materials at low temperatures.