1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian of the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator-Eigenfunction & Eigenvalue

1. Feb 5, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the equation below is an eigenfunction for the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Hamiltonian and find its corresponding eigenvalue.

2. Relevant equations
    u1(q)=A*q*exp((-q[itex]^{2}[/itex])/2)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Ok, so I know that the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator Hamiltonian (H[itex]_{QHO}[/itex]) is :
    (H[itex]_{QHO}[/itex])=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω(((-d^2)/(dq^2))+q^2) and I know that:
    (H[itex]_{QHO}[/itex])u1(q)=Eu1(q)

but how do I show that it's an eigenfunction? Simply subbing it into the eqn doesn't appear to help.

Many thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 5, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It should. Either that or you need to solve the differential equation, which is a much harder task.

Show us what you got when you plugged u1 into the equation.

4. Feb 5, 2012 #3
    Ok, so here goes:

HQHO*U1(q)=E*U1(q)

[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω([itex]\frac{-d^{2}}{dq^{2}}[/itex]+q[itex]^{2}[/itex]).A.q exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex])=E*U1(q)

[itex]\frac{A}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω(-[itex]\frac{d}{dq}[/itex][itex]\frac{d}{dq}[/itex](q.exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex]))+(q[itex]^{3}[/itex])exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex]))=E*U1(q)

which eventually comes to:

(q[itex]^{3}[/itex]+q[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2q-1)exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex])[itex]\frac{A}{2}[/itex][itex]\hbar[/itex]ω=E*U1(q)

So does this mean that : (q[itex]^{3}[/itex])+q[itex]^{2}[/itex]-2q-1) is the corresponding eigenvalue?

Is my method correct?

Many thanks.

5. Feb 5, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You must have calculated the second derivative incorrectly. You should get
    $$u_1''(q) = (q^3-3q)e^{-q^2/q}.$$

6. Feb 5, 2012 #5
    Thanks, my mistake. So I now have:

[itex]\frac{\hbarω}{2}[/itex]A.exp([itex]\frac{-q^{2}}{2}[/itex])(-q[itex]^{3}[/itex]-q[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3q)=E.U[itex]_{1}[/itex](q).

So is -q[itex]^{3}[/itex]-q[itex]^{2}[/itex]+3q the corresponding eigenvalue? Or can I simplify even further?

Many thanks.

7. Feb 5, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's still not correct. The eigenvalue is a constant. It can't depend on q.

8. Feb 5, 2012 #7
    I think I've figured it out now. Many thanks Vela

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook