1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian systems, integrability, chaos and MATH

1. Mar 6, 2010 #1
    Hi there,

My objective is to study Hamiltonian systems, integrable and non integrable systems, where there will be chaos, etc. I have a general idea of everything.. the destroyed tori, the symplectic structure of hamilton's equations, etc. But nothing is very clear to me! And the most frustrating part of all this is that everything I want to know seems to be described in rich details in this book: V.I. Arnold - Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics. But I don't think it's written in any terrestrial language. :confused:

Is there a other way to approach this subject? Don't get me wrong, I love math but to master this book's content I would need a whole year, if not more, probably.

Diego

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 6, 2010 #2

dx

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Which is a very reasonable amount of time for this subject. If you try to do it any faster than that, you'll just end up being frustrated, and make no progress.

4. Mar 6, 2010 #3
    Agreed. But I just want to learn some basic concepts in this area, as this is not the main objective (I mean, it's only a "local" objective). I've already found some books and articles that are being really helpful (Ott E. Chaos in Dynamical Systems, for example, has a great discussion in it's final chapters)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook