Comparing Hand Pump Performance: Brand A vs Brand B

In summary, the conversation discusses two different brands of hand pumps, A and B, with different displacement per cycle and maximum pressure. The user is experiencing issues with the pumps reaching and maintaining pressure, and asks for opinions on whether it is a quality issue or related to displacement. The supplier of Brand A suggests the issue may be due to the pump having a single speed and 25cc displacement, making it difficult to pump at high pressure. They also mention a possible relief valve issue. However, another user points out that it is unusual for a hand pump to not have a relief valve.
haruko
I'm currently doing a testing on hand pump from 2 different brand. Let's say Brand A and brand B.
Brand A hand pump is 20cc/cycle with maximum pressure 350 bar, Brand B hand pump is 25cc/cycle with maximum pressure 350bar as well.
1. brand A hand pump easily pump up to 92bar, but after i tried it for about 30 mins, its pressure only increase to 98bar. While brand B hand pump can be easily pump up to 100bar, and then take about 30mins to pump it up to 110bar. What do you think? Is it the quality of the hand pump or its have something to do with the displacement of the hand pump?

2. Is the displacement per cycle affected its performance?

Can anyone give me any opinion?

Engineering news on Phys.org
haruko said:
I'm currently doing a testing on hand pump from 2 different brand. Let's say Brand A and brand B.
Brand A hand pump is 20cc/cycle with maximum pressure 350 bar, Brand B hand pump is 25cc/cycle with maximum pressure 350bar as well.
1. brand A hand pump easily pump up to 92bar, but after i tried it for about 30 mins, its pressure only increase to 98bar. While brand B hand pump can be easily pump up to 100bar, and then take about 30mins to pump it up to 110bar. What do you think? Is it the quality of the hand pump or its have something to do with the displacement of the hand pump?

2. Is the displacement per cycle affected its performance?

Can anyone give me any opinion?

You may have run out of fluid in the reservoir filling the line for your pressure test.

We use hand pumps in our shop all the time and I have seen this happen. Are these brand new hand pumps?

Are you pumping directly into a dead-headed gauge?

It is very difficult to pump while the pressure more than 100 Bar. because this is not two speed pump, it is only single speed and the capacity is 25cc per stroke, so you will feel very hard to pump. For example those high pressure hand pump maker, they will use 32cc for high speed low pressure; 1.6cc low speed high pressure, so the user would not feel difficult pump it.

This is the reply from supplier of Brand A. Can anyone explain this?

drankin said:
You may have run out of fluid in the reservoir filling the line for your pressure test.

We use hand pumps in our shop all the time and I have seen this happen. Are these brand new hand pumps?

Are you pumping directly into a dead-headed gauge?

No, it's not run out of fluid.
No, it's not a brand new hand pump.
No, we don't pumping directly into a dead-headed gauge.

Then it sounds like you need to turn up the relief valve which is simply a check valve with a heavy spring and screw or socket head adjustment. It's getting to 110 bar but pumping after that it just pushes the oil over the relief back to the reservoir.

drankin said:
Then it sounds like you need to turn up the relief valve which is simply a check valve with a heavy spring and screw or socket head adjustment. It's getting to 110 bar but pumping after that it just pushes the oil over the relief back to the reservoir.

that's no relief valve in this case...

haruko said:
that's no relief valve in this case...

You are telling me you have a hand pump without a relief valve? I've never heard of one. Sorry, I couldn't help you.

1. How do you determine the performance of hand pumps?

In order to compare the performance of hand pumps, several factors are considered such as the volume of water pumped, the speed at which it is pumped, and the effort required to operate the pump. These factors are measured and compared between the two brands to determine their performance.

2. What is the importance of comparing hand pump performance between different brands?

Comparing hand pump performance between different brands is important because it allows us to determine which brand is more efficient and effective in providing clean water. This information can help individuals, organizations, and governments make informed decisions when purchasing and implementing hand pumps for water access.

3. What are the potential limitations of comparing hand pump performance between brands?

One potential limitation is that the performance of hand pumps may vary depending on the location and the conditions in which they are used. Additionally, there may be variations in the testing methods used between different studies, which can affect the results.

4. How do you ensure the accuracy of the results when comparing hand pump performance?

To ensure accuracy, it is important to have a standardized testing method and to conduct multiple trials to account for any variations. It is also important to consider the source of the information and the credibility of the testing organization or individual.

5. What other factors should be considered when comparing hand pump performance?

In addition to the volume, speed, and effort, other factors that should be considered when comparing hand pump performance include the cost, durability, ease of maintenance, and availability of spare parts. These factors can impact the overall effectiveness and sustainability of hand pumps in providing clean water access.