Handymen - info needed for wall repair

• Thread starter fitz_calc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, a wall can be repaired by using spackling, a paint roller, and white toothpaste. If the wall is a small hole, then a bookcase can be used to cover it.
fitz_calc
So we managed to damage a wall at our apartment:

http://i.imgur.com/gi5b4.jpg

Handymen of the forums, how would you repair?

Physics news on Phys.org
like this and afterwards some creativity to match the structure again.

Maybe flinging bits of drywall putty off a paintbrush or a plastic spoon will recreate the odd surfacing. But yes, you will likely have to cut out the small square of drywal land replace - simply filling with a putty would leave a soft surface that holds indentations.

It's difficult to see how big the hole is but you might be able to avoid cutting up the wall. I would carefully pry the damaged area so that it's sticking out slightly (take care to avoid popping it out completely). Then you can put some wood putty along the edges, push it back in place and let it harden. After the putty has hardened for a day, you can use some plain-old white toothpaste to touch up the color of the edges where the putty is showing through.

fitz_calc said:
So we managed to damage a wall at our apartment:

http://i.imgur.com/gi5b4.jpg

Handymen of the forums, how would you repair?
Get a jar of non-shrinking spackling, fill in dent, let dry, smooth flat with a fine sandpaper, a tiny paint roller used for leaving a texture dipped in matching paint, and VOILA!

There is no need for wire patches if it's just a tiny dent like the one shown.

The only time I had to insert a screen into the drywall to repair a hole was when my labrador retriever, AKA "JAWS OF DEATH" decided to eat a hole through the wall large enough to fit her entire hed through. I have been repairing dents and holes for decades, I'm such a nitpicky perfectionist that I have repaired the repairs done by self-professed "professionals". :redface:

I also learned how to do wood restoration of dog chewed furniture, windowsills, baseboards, and door frames. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Do you have any paint to match. That always seems to be the hardest part. There must be at least 27 different shades of white. Home improvement stores can mach paint but you will need to take in a chip about the size of a quarter.

edward said:
Do you have any paint to match. That always seems to be the hardest part. There must be at least 27 different shades of white. Home improvement stores can mach paint but you will need to take in a chip about the size of a quarter.
If it's a small wall, you can paint it a different color and have a fancy "accent wall". Back in hippy days, this is how you wound up with hideous flowers and other weird things painted over holes.

Before I got around to the huge labrador hole, I just pulled a bookcase in front of it.

1. What is the typical cost for wall repair by a handyman?

The cost for wall repair by a handyman can vary depending on the extent of the damage and the location of the wall. On average, homeowners can expect to pay between $150 and $500 for small repairs, and between $500 and $1500 for larger repairs.

2. How long does it take for a handyman to complete a wall repair?

The time it takes for a handyman to complete a wall repair will depend on the size and complexity of the project. Minor repairs may only take a few hours, while larger repairs can take several days. Your handyman will be able to provide a more accurate estimate once they have assessed the damage.

3. What type of materials are typically used for wall repair?

The materials used for wall repair will depend on the type of damage and the type of wall. For example, drywall repairs may require joint compound and drywall tape, while plaster repairs may require joint compound and plaster patching material. Your handyman will be able to determine the appropriate materials for your specific repair needs.

4. Will the repair be noticeable after it is completed?

In most cases, a well-done wall repair by a professional handyman should not be noticeable. However, if the damage was extensive or if the wall had a unique texture or finish, there may be some slight variations in appearance. Your handyman will do their best to match the existing wall as closely as possible.

5. Is there anything I need to do to prepare for a wall repair by a handyman?

Before your handyman arrives, it is best to clear the area around the damaged wall to allow for easy access. If there are any valuable or fragile items on the wall, it is also a good idea to remove them beforehand. Additionally, if you have any specific concerns or requests, be sure to communicate them with your handyman prior to the repair.