Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Handymen - info needed for wall repair

1. Oct 18, 2012 #1
    So we managed to damage a wall at our apartment:

http://i.imgur.com/gi5b4.jpg

Handymen of the forums, how would you repair?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2012 #2
    like this and afterwards some creativity to match the structure again.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    Maybe flinging bits of drywall putty off a paintbrush or a plastic spoon will recreate the odd surfacing. But yes, you will likely have to cut out the small square of drywal land replace - simply filling with a putty would leave a soft surface that holds indentations.

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4

Borg

Gold Member

It's difficult to see how big the hole is but you might be able to avoid cutting up the wall. I would carefully pry the damaged area so that it's sticking out slightly (take care to avoid popping it out completely). Then you can put some wood putty along the edges, push it back in place and let it harden. After the putty has hardened for a day, you can use some plain-old white toothpaste to touch up the color of the edges where the putty is showing through.

6. Oct 18, 2012 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Get a jar of non-shrinking spackling, fill in dent, let dry, smooth flat with a fine sandpaper, a tiny paint roller used for leaving a texture dipped in matching paint, and VOILA!

There is no need for wire patches if it's just a tiny dent like the one shown.

The only time I had to insert a screen into the drywall to repair a hole was when my labrador retriever, AKA "JAWS OF DEATH" decided to eat a hole through the wall large enough to fit her entire hed through. I have been repairing dents and holes for decades, I'm such a nitpicky perfectionist that I have repaired the repairs done by self-professed "professionals". :redface:

I also learned how to do wood restoration of dog chewed furniture, windowsills, baseboards, and door frames. :biggrin:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  7. Oct 18, 2012 #6
    Do you have any paint to match. That always seems to be the hardest part. There must be at least 27 different shades of white. Home improvement stores can mach paint but you will need to take in a chip about the size of a quarter.

8. Oct 19, 2012 #7

Evo

Staff: Mentor

If it's a small wall, you can paint it a different color and have a fancy "accent wall". Back in hippy days, this is how you wound up with hideous flowers and other weird things painted over holes.

Before I got around to the huge labrador hole, I just pulled a bookcase in front of it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook