Happy 100th Birthday, Hedy Lamarr

• Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
In summary, Hedy Lamarr was born 100 years ago and is known for her invention of the first known example of spread-spectrum technology, which is still used today. She also starred in some films and was friends with the composer George Antheil.
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
100 years since Hedy Lamarr (born Hedwig Eva Maria Kiesler, Nov. 9, 1914) was born.

hedy_lamarr2.jpg

[Image taken from http://timkastelle.org/blog/2011/12/innovation-lessons-from-hedy-lamarr/]

http://www.cnet.com/news/happy-100t...ovie-star-and-wi-fi-inventor/#ftag=YHF65cbda0

She is known for an an invention (although it was never actually produced directly) that was the first known example of spread-spectrum technology -- variants of which are still used today (at least indirectly) in cell phones, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi.

Oh, and she was also an actress who stared in some movies and some-such.

----

I'm celebrating by re-playing Half-Life 2. There's a minor part of the story that involves a "debeaked" headcrab, kept as a pet, named "Lamarr." Presumably, this name was a tribute to Hedy Lamarr.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
And leave us not forget Mel Brooks' tribute to her in "Blazing Saddles"... :D

The hottest inventor ever?!:cool:

Lisa! said:
The hottest inventor ever?!:cool:
:w Ever see "Ecstasy", her 1933 film made when she still lived in Germany? Great nude bathing sequence; can't remember anything else about it.

I do still, however, have a reminiscent feeling for Lorraine Lee Larrison Cudmore, who I believe was involved in the invention of the first JIM diving suit.

"Hey, did you happen to see the most beautiful girl in the world..." ♪♫

Several years ago, there was a multimedia play about her and her friend/collaborator, the composer George Antheil:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/09/arts/music/09ball.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

I've never heard Antheil's Ballet Mécanique, but I've got some of his other compositions in my CD collection. I first learned about the Antheil-Lamarr connection from reading the notes that came with one of those CDs.

What was Hedy Lamarr known for?

Hedy Lamarr was known for being a Hollywood actress and inventor. She starred in numerous films during the 1930s and 1940s and is often remembered as one of the most beautiful women in Hollywood. However, she was also an inventor and helped develop frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology, which is the basis for modern-day Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.

How did Hedy Lamarr celebrate her 100th birthday?

Hedy Lamarr celebrated her 100th birthday in 2014 with a Google Doodle tribute. The Google Doodle featured an animated illustration of Lamarr and her most famous invention, frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology.

What inspired Hedy Lamarr to become an inventor?

Hedy Lamarr was inspired to become an inventor after learning about the use of radio-controlled torpedoes during World War II. She wanted to create a system that would prevent the enemy from jamming the radio signals used to control the torpedoes, and thus, she came up with the idea for frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology.

What impact did Hedy Lamarr's invention have?

Hedy Lamarr's invention of frequency-hopping spread spectrum technology had a significant impact on modern-day technology. It laid the foundation for wireless communication, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS systems. Her invention also paved the way for future advancements in telecommunications and military technology.

What was Hedy Lamarr's legacy?

Hedy Lamarr's legacy extends beyond her acting career and her invention. She is remembered as a pioneer in both the entertainment and scientific industries, breaking barriers and inspiring future generations. She also received numerous awards and recognition for her contributions to science and technology, including being inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame in 2014.

Back