The Realities of Fireworks: Exploring the Pros & Cons

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
In summary, America spends hundreds of millions of dollars a year on nearly pointless explosives where the cons vastly outweigh the pros.
leroyjenkens
I don't know what all the celebration is about, but it must be a very important day in history. My neighbors seem to know something I don't.

Anyone else absolutely despise fireworks? I think they're one of the worst things in the world that don't get any attention as being absolutely terrible things.
America spends hundreds of millions of dollars a year on nearly pointless explosives where the cons vastly outweigh the pros.
Pros: It's fun for children, and adults who have the minds of children.
Cons: They are sound pollution, air pollution, dangerous, they scare the hell out of pets, and they piss off all the non-neanderthals who live in the neighborhood, especially when they occur every day for a week leading up to July 4th and January 1st.

Apparently several laws just fall by the wayside on those days and, apparently, days leading up to those days. Laws against owning explosives are gone, noise ordinance doesn't matter, and you're allowed to litter all over the place. When you're shooting explosives up into the air, that garbage will land somewhere, and the user is not expected to go find it and dispose of it.

And these things are getting louder. We used to have laws against bottle rockets. Now people are basically shooting dynamite up into the air.

As I get older, I get more and more disgusted at the people of this world.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not so annoyed with fireworks except when they are launched days before the 4th or before Xmas or New Years especially when you're trying to sleep and have to work the next day. We live in Texas where everyone thinks its their God given right to light up the sky. I have one dog who is terrified of the sounds won't go out for his walk unless I drag him and then immediately upon hearing one go off wants to get back home and hide in the quietest closet in the house. Our other dog was trained as a pup to ignore loud sounds thanks to my sons rock band and his drum practice both of which practiced at our home. (band disagreements to be settled by Starcraft play but I digress).

Personally as a kid, I was fascinated by them and was a little afraid to light one up. One time my uncle light up a small firecracker but it didn't go off so he asked me to go pick it up. I hesitated and then boom it went off. I never forgot the experience realizing I could've been hurt. Our firecracker equivalent were cap pistols with rolls of caps and when we got tired of shooting them one at a time, would take the roll and hit it with a hammer for a bigger boom.

Someone must have thrown a firework on you in childhood! :biggrin:

Apparently, the inspiration for Kerbal Space Program was born out of fireworks.
http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/05/m...aunched-an-indie-darling-from-out-of-nowhere/

“It was just this very dangerous thing that I used to play with my friends with actual fireworks,” Falanghe told GamesBeat. “We’d take them apart and assemble spacecraft , I guess you could call it, with struts and fins. Then we’d make little men out of tin foil and strap them into the cockpits. We called them Kerbals. That’s how the concept was born.”​

Likes Hoophy
Happy 4th of July. For hours I've been listening to people shoot off illegal fireworks in my part of town. I don't mind, as long as no one is injured. It sounds like freedom.

What is the meaning of the 4th of July? How is it related to physics and other sciences? It's about freedom. There's a reason so many great scientists came to live in America. Just think of all those Jewish scientists the demonic Hitler and his Nazi thugs would have murdered. The scientists came here and helped develop the A-bomb for the USA instead of for the Reich. Here no one cares what your background is. You have freedom. It's about the individual, not the group.

We need freedom to develop physics and other sciences. Read Arthur Koestler's great book "The Sleepwalkers." Read about Copernicus, Kepler and Galileo, and what the anti-science tyrants did to them. Read about how the forces of darkness tried to prohibit the work of scientists. But thanks to the genius Gutenberg and his mechanical printing press, there was an information explosion like the world had never seen. It's a fascinating story, and Koestler was a brilliant writer.

Here are some videos. Sorry, my project is still not completed. Meanwhile I can only provide opinions and videos. I hope they are useful.

This one may be a bit strong for some, but it should be considered in its historical context.

This one is very personal but still of general interest. During WW2, the Merchant Marine had the highest casualty rate of any branch of the service. The Marines came second. Long live freedom!

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a very interesting story on the TV news last night. In some places (especially where there is a high risk of wildfires), drone light shows are replacing the fireworks shows...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech...ks-western-towns-worried-wildfires/752966002/

636661626135857756-Flag.jpg

Attachments

• 636661626135857756-Flag.jpg
    636661626135857756-Flag.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 318
Likes BillTre and Wrichik Basu
And you can re-use the drones! :woot:

We didn't venture out for the fireworks show in the next town over... too hot and muggy. But we did hear the neighborhood kids setting off firecrackers last night.

1. What are the environmental impacts of fireworks?

Fireworks can have negative impacts on the environment, particularly air and water pollution. The chemicals used in fireworks, such as sulfur and potassium nitrate, can release toxins into the air and contaminate bodies of water. Additionally, the debris from fireworks can litter the environment and harm wildlife.

2. How do fireworks affect human health?

Fireworks can pose health risks to both those who handle them and those who are exposed to the fumes. The loud noises and bright flashes can cause hearing and vision damage, and the chemicals used in fireworks can irritate the respiratory system. Fireworks accidents can also lead to burns and other injuries.

3. Are there any benefits to using fireworks?

Fireworks can be used for entertainment and celebration purposes, bringing people together and creating a sense of joy and awe. They can also have cultural and historical significance. Additionally, some studies suggest that fireworks can have positive effects on mental health by reducing stress and anxiety.

4. How can we mitigate the negative impacts of fireworks?

To reduce the negative impacts of fireworks, it is important to use them responsibly and follow safety guidelines. This includes properly disposing of debris, avoiding areas with sensitive wildlife, and using fireworks in moderation. There are also eco-friendly fireworks available that use less harmful chemicals and produce less pollution.

5. What are some alternative ways to celebrate without using fireworks?

There are many alternative ways to celebrate without using fireworks. These include using glow sticks, creating light shows with lasers or LED lights, or attending a professional fireworks display instead of setting off fireworks at home. Other options include using noise-making instruments or creating art installations with light and color.