What is the traditional New Year's Eve meal in Peru?

• Thread starter Moonbear
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bit Year
In summary, the people are going out to a party, and the person writing the summary is staying home. They will be eating pizza and watching a movie. The person will be going to San Diego tomorrow.
Moonbear said:
They made you work in the lab tonight?
Still am! Everything takes about twice as long as you first estimate! :frown:

There's still leftovers.
You're not planning to drive to Chicago anytime soon, are you? :tongue2:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Happy New Year from Oregon!

Well here it is (on the west coast)

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Oh yeah, I am at work, so not much celebrating here, we have a bad UPS in one of our tools. That should occupy us for a few hours.

Andre said:
You all have a Dutch http://typicaldutchstuff.com/oliebol.shtml for "Sylvester".

oliebol.jpg

Better than sheep head.
Most meals are, I would believe.

Belated happy new year to everyone!

Happy New Year to all of you!

Poor Evo! Hope you are feeling better.

I ate my black-eyed peas and greens!

The first day of 2008 gone all ready, it is strange as we hardly have seasons any more, i was out side in shirt sleeve at 2 in the morning.

wolram said:
The first day of 2008 gone all ready, it is strange as we hardly have seasons any more, i was out side in shirt sleeve at 2 in the morning.

We've got plenty of snow here to mark the new year! It's been clear and slightly warm the whole time I was on vacation. Now I'm supposed to be at work, and have to deal with shoveling the snow from the driveway (needless to say, I'll be getting in late today...I'm still staring at what looks like a good 6-8 inches out there when I was expecting maybe 2 inches based on yesterday's forecast). Considering it's still snowing, and there's no evidence a plow has come through my development yet, I guess I'm not starting my work day until after lunch.

We've got at least a foot of fresh snow. Luckily, my wife was able to plow through the snow bank at the end of the driveway with her Subaru Legacy, so I can take my time and let the winds die down a bit before clearing the snow away. We've already gotten more snow in the past month than we've gotten all winter for many years.

The good thing is the snow looks light and fluffy, so probably won't be too bad to drive in or shovel (though I'm still just staring at it thinking this is way more than the forecast prepared me to wake up to). It's the giant sled with rocks at the bottom that they call a road in my development that makes me nervous about heading out. That, and watching the bad drivers on the main road...they plowed the main road about a half hour ago, and it looks pretty clear, but there are either some icy patches I can't see from here, or the drivers out right now are horrendous. The snow looks like it's slowing down, so I'll just give it a little longer and hopefully only have to shovel the driveway once (keep hoping the plow will come through before I shovel so I don't have to go back out when I get home at the end of the day and clear away the mound of snow the plow always leaves at the end of the driveways).

Oslo is almost snowless.

We never get any snow :cry:

Moonbear said:
The snow looks like it's slowing down, so I'll just give it a little longer and hopefully only have to shovel the driveway once (keep hoping the plow will come through before I shovel so I don't have to go back out when I get home at the end of the day and clear away the mound of snow the plow always leaves at the end of the driveways).
I'm still holding out on the driveway, hoping the plow comes by for a final pass. We've gotten so much snow that they'll have to push the banks back with the wing plow, and that will fill the end of the driveway. I don't want to suit up and fire up the snow-blower twice if I can help it.

arildno said:
Oslo is almost snowless.

My parents/family (military) lived in Oslo (and Bergen) when I was 2-3---We have photos standing in front of that tall cylindrical statue of 'wrapped' people----They told me that it was one of the nicest places they had ever lived.

rewebster said:
My parents/family (military) lived in Oslo (and Bergen) when I was 2-3---We have photos standing in front of that tall cylindrical statue of 'wrapped' people----
Oh, yes, the Monolith, or Phallus in the Vigeland Park.
Did your father work at Kolsås, then, in a capacity for Nato?
They told me that it was one of the nicest places they had ever lived.
I'm glad they enjoyed their stay!

arildno said:
Oh, yes, the Monolith, or Phallus in the Vigeland Park.
Did your father work at Kolsås, then, in a capacity for Nato?

I'm glad they enjoyed their stay!

What?!---what an endearing name for it!

The work?---from what I've been told--I can't talk about it:uhh:

From all the photos they took, it looks like it was great---They told me I spoke 1/2 Norwegian and 1/2 English when we moved back to the states---at the same time----for about a year--

One thing I still have is one of those heavy (I mean HEAVY--30 lbs, maybe)--wool lined, white army winter/snow Norwegian army coats with govt. stamps/writing--oh boy, is it warm!

not my/our photo, but here's what it looks like:

tmp117.jpg

Last edited:
turbo-1 said:
I'm still holding out on the driveway, hoping the plow comes by for a final pass. We've gotten so much snow that they'll have to push the banks back with the wing plow, and that will fill the end of the driveway. I don't want to suit up and fire up the snow-blower twice if I can help it.

Murphy's law...I gave up waiting since sometimes they don't get around to plowing us until the end of the day, and shoveled the driveway so I could get it done before lunch and then grab a hot shower, a hot lunch, and deal with the ski slope between me and the exit to the development to at least spend a half day at the office today. Got done, just having a cup of hot cocoa to warm up before making the rest of lunch and wouldn't you know the plow just came through. (Ooh, but looks like he pushed the snow to the other side today! Yay! It's not all mounded in my driveway! :smile:)

The work?---from what I've been told--I can't talk about it
Then they either worked at Huseby or Kolsås. :smile:
(We know where they are, but not what they do..)

rewebster said:
not my/our photo, but here's what it looks like:

tmp117.jpg
:bugeye:

Math Is Hard said:
I ate my black-eyed peas and greens!
YAY! I managed to make mine and all threee of us (me, FB & Dr Foofer) pigged out, I must say these were the best black eyed peas I've ever made. I made a double batch of greens so the Evo Child would have some and I ate them all. :redface:

turbo-1 said:
We've got at least a foot of fresh snow. Luckily, my wife was able to plow through the snow bank at the end of the driveway with her Subaru Legacy, so I can take my time and let the winds die down a bit before clearing the snow away. We've already gotten more snow in the past month than we've gotten all winter for many years.
Same here. I hope this means a successful ski season there.

Moonbear said:
Murphy's law...I gave up waiting since sometimes they don't get around to plowing us until the end of the day, and shoveled the driveway so I could get it done before lunch and then grab a hot shower, a hot lunch, and deal with the ski slope between me and the exit to the development to at least spend a half day at the office today. Got done, just having a cup of hot cocoa to warm up before making the rest of lunch and wouldn't you know the plow just came through. (Ooh, but looks like he pushed the snow to the other side today! Yay! It's not all mounded in my driveway! :smile:)
I always hated it when the plow would come by right after I did the driveway. That snow is so heavy and packed from the plow. Luckily my new place has plowing and shoveling included, right up to my front door. Then they apply a ton of snow melt, so it's kept clear of ice.

Evo said:
:bugeye:
Indeed, it is a very big monolith.

arildno said:
Indeed, it is a very big monolith.
What is the meaning of all of the bodies squashed together in what looks like painful torture?

Evo said:
What is the meaning of all of the bodies squashed together in what looks like painful torture?

I thought it was a giant orgy on a giant phallus. :blushing:

Moonbear said:

new slogan for Norway:

"When in Norway, See the Giant orgy on the Giant Phallus"

Well i wouldn't call it big.

Kurdt said:
Well i wouldn't call it big.

Norway?

Moonbear said:
But there are babies and children...

Evo said:
Do you have any idea what babysitters charge in Norway?

Gokul43201 said:
Do you have any idea what babysitters charge in Norway?
Oh geeze, I just spit all over my computer.

Evo said:
Oh geeze, I just spit all over my computer.

Quick--back away from the computer!

Evo said:

Yes, giant orgies can lead to those. :wink:

What else is there to do on those cold Norwegian nights that last for six months?

Moonbear said:
Yes, giant orgies can lead to those. :wink:
Certainly not DURING the giant orgies, though, so who invited the kids?

maybe it's a TRIBUTE to the ORGIES----and the aftermath

Its Europe. Say no more.