Hardware to mount pcb/prototype board to metal box?

In summary, if you have a metal box and do not already have standoffs, you will need to buy them or find an enclosure that has them included. If you are in the US or Canada, Keystone may be a good option. If you are not in the US or Canada, the best option may be to find a distributor that carries Protostack's products.
atlbraves49
Engineering news on Phys.org
They are called 'stand-offs'
Little hexagonal rods with a tapped hole in each end - you screw through the box into one end and trhough the PCB into the other
Or you can get stick on plastic ones that glue to the inside of the box and have little plastic barbs that go through the hole in the PCB

If you have fairly thick metal, you can get stand-offs that have a thread on one end, allowing you to screw it into the bottom of your box. This works best if you have access to a machine shop with a lathe, or someone that's really good with a drill press. You also need to know exactly where your holes are to be located.

If you just have a sheet metal box, well, the ones with tapped holes are probably the way to go, along with some round head screws through the sheet.

Nut inserts probably aren't what you'd want for your application but I thought they would be worth mentioning because they come in handy sometimes. For example, when a "backer plate" is desired in the bottom of an enclosure and you want to put standoffs on it to mount PCBs.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#nut-inserts/=qoac3"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I choose the right type of hardware for mounting my PCB/prototype board to a metal box?

The type of hardware you will need depends on the weight and dimensions of your PCB/prototype board, as well as the size and material of your metal box. It is important to choose hardware that can securely hold the board in place without damaging it or the box.

2. What are the most common types of hardware used for mounting PCB/prototype boards to metal boxes?

The most common types of hardware used for this purpose are standoffs, screws, nuts, and washers. Standoffs are small cylindrical spacers that provide a gap between the board and the box, while screws, nuts, and washers are used to secure the board to the standoffs and the box.

3. What factors should I consider when positioning the hardware for mounting my PCB/prototype board?

When positioning the hardware, you should consider the weight and balance of the board, as well as the location of components and connectors. It is important to distribute the weight evenly to avoid any stress on the board or the box.

4. Can I use adhesive or tape to mount my PCB/prototype board instead of hardware?

While adhesive or tape may seem like an easier and faster solution, they are not recommended for mounting PCB/prototype boards to metal boxes. These methods do not provide enough support and may result in the board becoming loose or damaged.

5. How do I ensure that my PCB/prototype board is properly grounded when mounted to a metal box?

To ensure proper grounding, it is important to use conductive standoffs and hardware. These types of hardware will create a conductive path between the board and the box, allowing for proper grounding and preventing any potential electrical issues.