1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic oscillator derivation

1. Sep 19, 2015 #1

pabilbado

Gold Member

I was wondering how to derive the sinusoidal equation for the simple armonic oscillator. But I am currently trying to understand this step in this webpage:
    f903148331897dd9406ca8fc3e1e150e.png
    I don't get where do P and Q come from and why it is summing pe^iwt + qe^-iwt. please I need some help. The rest of it pretty much makes sense.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure what an "armonic" oscillator is, unless you mean "harmonic".

The differential equation of the harmonic oscillator is linear and homogeneous, so the general solution is composed of the sum of all the solutions obtained by solving the characteristic equation.

If you've studied ordinary differential equations, this should be obvious. If you haven't, then you should study ODEs a little before proceeding further.

4. Sep 19, 2015 #3

pabilbado

Gold Member

Sorry for "Armonic", In spanish it is not spelled with h, and I am so tired I did not even noticed it. Thanks a lot now I get it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook