1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harr Wavelet Question

1. Apr 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I think this may be a simple problem, but I really have no idea if I did it right because it seemed to easy.

Here's the question, consider the Harr Wavelet [itex]\psi[/itex][itex]^{}_n{}[/itex][itex]_,{}[/itex][itex]_k{}[/itex](x) = 2[itex]^n{}[/itex][itex]^/{}[/itex][itex]^2{}[/itex]*[itex]\psi[/itex](2[itex]^n{}[/itex]x-k) where [itex]\psi[/itex] is the mother wavelet.

Prove that [itex]\psi[/itex][itex]^{}_2{}[/itex][itex]_,{}[/itex][itex]_1{}[/itex] and [itex]\psi[/itex][itex]^{}_2{}[/itex][itex]_,{}[/itex][itex]_0{}[/itex] are orthogonal.

2. Relevant Equations

The mother wavelet of a Harr wavelet is a piecewise function that says

[itex]\psi[/itex](x) = 1 if 0<=t<1/2
    -1 if 1/2 <= t <= 1
    0 otherwise

3. The attempt at a solution
    I plugged in the n and k values that we are meant to prove, and found that we get
    [itex]\psi[/itex](4x-1) and [itex]\psi[/itex](4x)

Graphing these functions show that they are both clearly integrated to zero, so is this proof that they are orthogonal?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 9, 2013 #2
    Two functions are orthogonal when their product integrates to zero.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted