Which Is Better for Physics, Harvard or MIT?

In summary, it is important to have good marks in university and attend a good graduate school for physics to have a successful career in research and teaching. However, the debate on the best school for physics and mathematics is subjective and depends on the field of interest. Factors such as personal interests, research opportunities, and job prospects should also be considered when choosing a graduate school. Ultimately, success in the field of physics depends on dedication and hard work rather than the name of the school.
barthayn
Hi, I am hoping to get good marks in university and plan to give it my all in university then hopefully get into a good grad. school for physics, since to get a good job in research and in teaching you need a good school (to my knowledge). This got me searching, on the internet the best in the world for physics is a battle between Harvard and MIT. Which in your opinion is better for physics/mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should revise your strategy, instead of deciding upon the best schools in the world, and the schools with the most difficult admission standards, you should look at the more reasonable universities. That is of course if your not "A prodigy whom has completed research at some point in high school and is the son of the President of the United States" - (A paraphrased excerpt of ZapperZ's "So you want to be a Physicist" essay. By the way I recommend you look at that sticky, it is very insightful. Both of the schools are amazing, but you have to question the reality of entering these schools. Of course I might have misread this and you are actually talking about graduate schools in the appearance that you aren't even an undergraduate, excuse my ignorance if so.

barthayn said:
Hi, I am hoping to get good marks in university and plan to give it my all in university then hopefully get into a good grad. school for physics, since to get a good job in research and in teaching you need a good school (to my knowledge). This got me searching, on the internet the best in the world for physics is a battle between Harvard and MIT. Which in your opinion is better for physics/mathematics?

You forgot about Caltech. Oh and Stanford. Oh and Princeton. Oh and *insert another shool*. The best is a meaningless term at that level. Best in what? Plasma physics? Princeton. Astrophysics? Caltech.

Actually I don't really know. I do know Princeton has the top plasma physics program but that's only because that's my field of interest. The point is, the best fields are scattered. Hell, I'm pretty sure the best school for condensed matter is somewhere in the midwest. Also, as you can find out by perusing the forums, getting a teaching job in physics is pretty much a roll of the dice. I believe someone stated that at best, your chances of getting a job in teaching at a university period is something like 10% no matter what graduate school you come out of.

Related to Which Is Better for Physics, Harvard or MIT?

1. What are the main differences between Harvard and MIT's physics programs?

Harvard and MIT both have top-ranked physics programs, but there are some key differences. Harvard places a greater emphasis on theoretical and experimental physics, while MIT focuses more on engineering and applied physics. Additionally, Harvard has a larger undergraduate program and smaller graduate program compared to MIT.

2. Which school has produced more notable physicists?

Both Harvard and MIT have produced numerous notable physicists, including Nobel laureates. However, MIT has a slightly higher number of Nobel laureates in physics compared to Harvard. It's important to note that the success of individual physicists is not solely determined by their alma mater, but rather their own contributions and achievements.

3. How do the research opportunities differ between Harvard and MIT in physics?

Both Harvard and MIT have extensive research opportunities for undergraduate and graduate students in physics. However, MIT may have a slight advantage in terms of research funding and resources due to its focus on engineering and technology. Additionally, MIT's location in the heart of the Cambridge science and technology hub provides students with access to a wide range of research facilities and collaborations.

4. Which school has a more competitive admissions process for physics?

Both Harvard and MIT have highly competitive admissions processes for their physics programs. It is difficult to determine which school has a more competitive process, as it ultimately depends on the pool of applicants in a given year. It is important to note that both schools prioritize academic excellence and a strong passion for physics in their admissions decisions.

5. Can students take classes at both Harvard and MIT in the physics program?

Yes, students at Harvard and MIT have the opportunity to take classes at both schools through a cross-registration program. This allows students to take advantage of the unique strengths and resources of both institutions and tailor their academic experience to their interests and goals. However, there may be restrictions on certain classes and students must meet certain requirements to participate in the cross-registration program.