Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Has anyone here been to counseling?

1. Nov 29, 2006 #1
    Hello fellow PF'ers.

I was just wondering if anyone here has been to counseling. I didnt really find it at all useful. Not that im unstable it was a while ago i had to go. I was also wondering if anyone found it helpful. I found it wasnt becasue it just dug up the past and that time fixes things. Im just curious to see who has opinions on it.:biggrin:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2006 #2

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In some of my darkest days I found a counselor very helpful. Not for solutions, but for a unbiased ear where I could freely discuss my troubles. The weight of many problems can be reduced simply by talking about them. An objective ear with guaranteed privacy is the ideal place to air problems. A good councilor can also offer suggestions from his neutral position which may or may not be applicable to your life. What his suggestions should do is offer you topics for healthy introspection.

4. Nov 30, 2006 #3

Danger

Gold Member

If you mean as in the term of 'Therapy'( :rolleyes:), that seems to be pretty much a Yank thing. You can hardly talk to one without him/her mentioning his/her therapist. If some little bastard is acting like a little bastard, he's sent to a therapist. A good whap upside the snout with a rolled-up newspaper would be quicker, cheaper, and a hell of a lot more effective. In most cases, the reliance upon a 'Therapist' is more of a disease than the initial symptoms. And a lot of those 'Therapists' are total parasitic crackpots who should be in some sort of institution themselves (reference Dr. Phil).
    That having been said, I agree with Integral's evaluation of a true professional psychologist or psychiatrist. Any moron call call himself a psychotherapist, but at least the aforementioned require an education and licensing. Most bartenders are better than the crackpot types, because it is indeed the ability to listen and coax out the underlying problem that helps.

5. Nov 30, 2006 #4
    Never been, I don't need somene to tell me what I already know,...that I'm ku-ray-zay.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2006
  6. Nov 30, 2006 #5

Danger

Gold Member

That's the worst Steve Martin impression that I've ever heard. :grumpy:

7. Nov 30, 2006 #6
    I did not realize I was impersonating him. :confused:

8. Nov 30, 2006 #7
    Pffff. Crap, cRap, crAp and again craP... You are NOT crrrrrraazzzzzy, you just would like to be...

marlon

9. Nov 30, 2006 #8
    I think its a bunch of crap unless you are about to commit suicide. I just gave them the answers they wanted so i could get out of that place. Its kind of a punch in your pride if you know what i mean.

10. Nov 30, 2006 #9

Danger

Gold Member

The way that you spelled it just reminded me of the way that he pronounces it when he does his 'wild and crazy guy' routine.

He must be. Elsewise, why would he be talking to us? :confused:

11. Nov 30, 2006 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I sometimes think that those people who seek out counselors and therapists really need psychiatrists, just not for the reasons they think they do. :biggrin:

12. Dec 1, 2006 #11
    Don't mean to diverge from the topic but whats the dog and the shovel for. I hovered over it so i know what its for. But whats the point? Does it get sent into a vault or something?

13. Dec 1, 2006 #12

Danger

Gold Member

:confused:

14. Dec 2, 2006 #13
    On the upper right hand corner of the window that i post i see a little dog with a shovel and a black box, a white one, and a blue one???

15. Dec 2, 2006 #14

Danger

Gold Member

How good is your monitor quality? There's a spell-check icon with ABC and a large check-mark under it. Can that be what you're seeing? No coloured boxes, though. Just a couple of up/down arrows for size change.

16. Dec 2, 2006 #15
    I've seen my share of psychiatrists, psychologists, and counselors because I've been diagnosed as having schizoaffective disorder. I have to go see the psychiatrist to prescribe my meds, and I'm not willing to pay for the other. I have no insurance, and most insurances don't cover mental health anyway. Psychologists and counselors just sit there listening and try to offer help, but they are just as human as you...they don't know what they're doing. None of us know what the heck we are doing. Ha! I'm not spending $110.00 an hour to see them!

17. Dec 2, 2006 #16

verty

Homework Helper

Well said, Leah. Their expensive sessions probably only work as a placebo if you trust them, hehe. But as I say, they can ask good questions.

18. Dec 3, 2006 #17
    Thats INSANE! The one i went to was free becasue he worked for the town.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?