Have CFM at one point, need to find it at another point

• Thread starter MiketheMuman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfm Point
In summary, the dust collector system has a cfm that is the same for all areas in the tent. Conditions would change if you were only looking at a small section of the larger pipe.
MiketheMuman
I am designing a dust collection system for a powder mixing project. My current setup is basically a tent (roughly 6ft X 4ft X 7ft) with a dust collector tube hanging from the ceiling (or coming from the floor). I know the CFM, air properties, and pipe area at the end of the dust collector tubing and would like to find the CFM in the work space (roughly the center of the tent). Can someone please offer some help/guidance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Conservation of mass for incompressible air says the cfm has to be the same.

That makes sense. I would think that assumes the control volume includes the entire system (A1 = area of tent, A2 = area of tube). Would conditions change if I am only looking at a small section of the larger "pipe" (roughly same cross-sectional area as tubing)?

MiketheMuman said:
That makes sense. I would think that assumes the control volume includes the entire system (A1 = area of tent, A2 = area of tube). Would conditions change if I am only looking at a small section of the larger "pipe" (roughly same cross-sectional area as tubing)?
I suppose it would, but I'm not clear on what you mean or what you are after. Could you upload a diagram?

Confused trying to visualize your project. You have a tent with a pipe inside taking dust in and want to figure out how much cfm is through a CV in one portion of the tent? Depends on the how big the pipe is, how big the tent is, etc. Worst case, you'll need to do some basic CFD to get a 3D velocity distribution and get cfm from whatever space you're talking about.

If you actually KNOW (Tried-To-Calculate =/= KNOW) the flow rate of the dust collector tube in THAT system, then you already know how many Cubic Feet of air flow through that room per Minute.

If you don't know the flow rate into that room, I have no idea how you even began to calculate the flow rate of the dust collector exiting that room. So, I am assuming that the CFM value that you have in mind is a measured value. Not a calculated value.

If your dust collector's cfm is a calculated value, then its wrong. Unless you got lucky. Because you don't know the flow rate into the room, so you can't know at what pressure the input and the output of air from that room will equalize.
If your dust collector's cfm is a measured value, then that's your flow rate for the room as well, unless there is other HVAC that we don't know about yet.

russ_watters said:
I suppose it would, but I'm not clear on what you mean or what you are after. Could you upload a diagram?

Take a look at this. As you know I'm still new to this site. Let me know if you can see this and if it helps illustrate my problem. Thank you!

Attachments

• Tent fluids problem pic.JPG
    Tent fluids problem pic.JPG
    23.8 KB · Views: 494

Related to Have CFM at one point, need to find it at another point

What does "CFM" stand for?

"CFM" stands for cubic feet per minute, which is a unit of measurement for air flow.

How do I calculate CFM?

To calculate CFM, you need to know the volume of air in cubic feet and the time it takes for the air to move from one point to another. Then, divide the volume by the time to get the CFM. For example, if the volume is 100 cubic feet and it takes 2 minutes for the air to move, the CFM would be 50.

Why is it important to measure CFM?

Measuring CFM is important in many industries, such as HVAC, because it helps determine the efficiency and effectiveness of air flow systems. It can also be used to ensure proper ventilation and air quality in a space.

What is the difference between static pressure and CFM?

Static pressure is a measure of the resistance to air flow in a system, while CFM is a measure of the actual air flow. In other words, static pressure is the force that works against air flow, while CFM is the rate of air flow.

How can I find the CFM at a specific point?

To find the CFM at a specific point, you can use a CFM meter or an anemometer. These tools measure air flow and can give you an accurate reading of the CFM at a particular location. Alternatively, you can calculate the CFM using the volume and time measurements as mentioned above.