Have You Accepted Death? Share Your Experience and Age

• Thread starter epkid08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Death
In summary, at the age of 14, I thought I would die and accepted it. I found the experience difficult to share, but I think it's important to understand that even in the worst of situations, a person can still be rational and accept death.
drankin said:
I determined this myself when I was about 12 yrs old. In my own mind I find it impossible to simply not exist. Even after my body is gone. I believe others have come to this conclusion early in human history and it led to the belief in the after-life, reincarnation, among other theologies. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that we are, in fact, eternal. Just not in the physical realm.

I'd have to dispute that claim and say that we may live on as electromagnetic impulses in the physical universe until that too comes to an end or goes through such a change as to become something completely transformed. Of course there's the matter of our matter and of course that will romantically become a star or cosmic dust at some point as well.

Physics news on Phys.org
baywax said:
I'd have to dispute that claim and say that we may live on as electromagnetic impulses

I would love to go into that, but it would be O/T...

And for the record, I had a near death experience at age 12 (the typical tunnel vision, etc) and also watched my dad pass away. I do not fear death (haven't since 12) but I also do not wish to die any time soon. I fear more for what my family and most specifically, my child would go through at my death. If I were to be diagnosed with cancer today, I would not want to go through treatment after watching my dad endure 5 years of treatment (and many other people) but I guess I would choose treatment if my daughter wanted it.

I am not intimidated by death, but I hope I don't die until at least 80s. (unless something happens health wise)

Hmmm When I think about this it can get kind of scary. But then, to make myself feel better, I try to think about what it was like before I was born. Somehow that doesn't seem so scary. Is that just denial on my part?

In my imagination there is a universe stretching infinite in time & space in all directions, and at the center of this is a little bubble - my life. It is in the center because I see it as "my reference frame" - so limited compared to the entire picture.

Ha... the age old question... death?

No, and I highly doubt anyone who haven't gotten close to death yet actually completely accepts death. Though, I understand death. I understand that when I die, my mind ceases to exist, all thought/emotions/knowledge die with me. And when my pet, my family member, or anything else for that matter, dies, their thoughts/memories/knowledge die with them. However, I am not even close to be able to face it with calmness, or accept that one day I will die.

I believe this is simply human instinct... I will just continue to live for now. To keep death around one's head simply isn't healthy. I don't believe I will ever accept death truly until when I am actually approaching it.

DaveC426913 said:
She started losing me at "energy beings".
Me too, but I persevered.

NDE's are an interesting subject but I think that the evidence there is is non-scientific, anecdotal and sketchy at best. The far out claims made on top of the experience itself are just wishful thinking IMO. Does the sould leave the body? I don't know, have you measured it doing so?

It's fringe science bordering on the crackpot mostly.

That said no I have not accepted death, he needs to revamp his image.

i'm 20 (BDAY WAS ON MONDAY WOOT :D :D) and I've accepted death. I've accepted it a pretty long time ago actually. It is something that in my point of view is just going to happen regardless of what we want. To say we don't want to die because we have stuff we want to do is kind of selfish if its your time to go, then its your time to go you can't fight it it will just happen. I would mostly worry about leaving people who care about me in emotional turmoil though i wouldn't want that. I'd rather they know that i was comfortable with accepting my death and they should be too.

Sorry! said:
i'm 20 (BDAY WAS ON MONDAY WOOT :D :D) and I've accepted death. I've accepted it a pretty long time ago actually. It is something that in my point of view is just going to happen regardless of what we want. To say we don't want to die because we have stuff we want to do is kind of selfish if its your time to go, then its your time to go you can't fight it it will just happen. I would mostly worry about leaving people who care about me in emotional turmoil though i wouldn't want that. I'd rather they know that i was comfortable with accepting my death and they should be too.
What does it really mean to accept death though? I don't imagine any but a very few can do any more than pay lip service. Merely saying it has no consequences. Surely, only action (or inaction) with consequences is the only reliable test of acceptance.

Not only that few people even know what it's like to stare into the cold rictus of death anyway. It's hard to fear something that is a long way of, and that you have no real experience of. It's kind of like saying I bet I could kill given the situation. How would you really know until given the situation?

We can be certain death will accept us.

DaveC426913 said:
What does it really mean to accept death though? I don't imagine any but a very few can do any more than pay lip service. Merely saying it has no consequences. Surely, only action (or inaction) with consequences is the only reliable test of acceptance.

well obviously I'm not saying i WANT to die, just that I'm not afraid. I'm not going to go commit suicide to prove that point.

Just because I've accepted the fact that i will die and don't live in fear of it happening doesn't mean i want it to happen any faster than it should lol.

I'm 47 years old and have had several possible death experiences. Some of them suicide attempts. I've always thought of death as something I need to do or something that is going to happen soon. When I was 5 years old I jumped into the deepend of a pool, thinking I could swim to the other end, but I couldn't and my cousin saved me. When I was 14 I tried to slit my wrists and take meds from my mother's cabinet. I started drinking when I was 13 and doing drugs when I was 16. In my 20's I'd go to bars and pick up strangers...some scary events! Every action I took was to end in death. I still am trying to end my life by drinking and smoking cigs and not eating right and not exercising. I just want to die and not have to deal with anything. My luck I'll live til old age which I am not looking forward to. I don't want to have to pee my pants and have someone else clean me up. I don't want to be old.

Leah said:
I'm 47 years old and have had several possible death experiences. Some of them suicide attempts. I've always thought of death as something I need to do or something that is going to happen soon. When I was 5 years old I jumped into the deepend of a pool, thinking I could swim to the other end, but I couldn't and my cousin saved me. When I was 14 I tried to slit my wrists and take meds from my mother's cabinet. I started drinking when I was 13 and doing drugs when I was 16. In my 20's I'd go to bars and pick up strangers...some scary events! Every action I took was to end in death. I still am trying to end my life by drinking and smoking cigs and not eating right and not exercising. I just want to die and not have to deal with anything. My luck I'll live til old age which I am not looking forward to. I don't want to have to pee my pants and have someone else clean me up. I don't want to be old.

Sometimes we have to accept life first.:smile:

I"m only saying this (accepting life first) because death is a part of life. So, theoretically, if one is unable to accept life with all its pitfalls and pratfalls... one is likely doomed to be an undead, unliving zombie... wanting to escape life with no consequence due to the fact that one has to live in order to die. Just ask a rock.

baywax said:
Sometimes we have to accept life first.:smile:

I'm going to file that under platitude. Or maybe trite sayings? :smile:

The Dagda said:

:biggrin:

The Dagda said:

Actually, considering Leah's miserable-life diatribe that it was in response to, I would say it was quite poignant. It is exactly what Leah needs to do.

Avalon said:
Here is a link to my thread about what possibly happens after death (if you want to know more about my reincarnation theory):
Theories are based on evidence, not on plausibilities. What evidence do you have that reincarnation happens at all? How does this theory explain what we see in the world better than the mere cessation of life upon death? Occam's Razor.

It'd be nice if reincarnation existed.
It'd be nice if God existed too.
But wanting it doesn't make it so.
And as a scientifically-minded person, you should know this.

DaveC426913 said:
Actually, considering Leah's miserable-life diatribe that it was in response to, I would say it was quite poignant. It is exactly what Leah needs to do.

It wouldn't be a platitude if it wasn't sincere. :smile:

The Dagda said:
It wouldn't be a platitude if it wasn't sincere. :smile:

My reply to Leah was in all sincerity. I know this because reading her history of attempts to destroy her life made me think that Leah's life had never been accepted. Now, I can't speak for an 8 month old child who dies or about whether the child was able to die because they'd accepted life or not.

But, in general, I believe death to be part of life... because life would not reach any stage of development without the resources produced by its death and decomposition. This sort of law may apply to the acceptance of life and death and it may not. Its a bit of a fuzzy area that is tangled up in metaphor and metaphysical speculation.

The OP needed to clarify their definition of "acceptance". Its a bit one sided in this case because, as I said earlier, death will accept you regardless. And, although the conditions to life accepting you are many, it appears that 6 billion people have passed the test.

Last edited:
This calls for a joke you may have already read:

Historians were digging up Beethoven's tomb (for some reason) and finally found him. There he was with a giant eraser, rubbing out his famous manuscripts. They exclaimed... "Beethoven, Beethoven what are you doing?!??! Beethoven replied, "decomposing".

baywax said:
My reply to Leah was in all sincerity. I know this because reading her history of attempts to destroy her life made me think that Leah's life had never been accepted. Now, I can't speak for an 8 month old child who dies or about whether the child was able to die because they'd accepted life or not.

But, in general, I believe death to be part of life... because life would not reach any stage of development without the resources produced by its death and decomposition. This sort of law may apply to the acceptance of life and death and it may not. Its a bit of a fuzzy area that is tangled up in metaphor and metaphysical speculation.

The OP needed to clarify their definition of "acceptance". Its a bit one sided in this case because, as I said earlier, death will accept you regardless. And, although the conditions to life accepting you are many, it appears that 6 billion people have passed the test.

Oh don't worry I'm of course being light hearted and I don't mean to suggest it wasn't done with good motivation, it's just well it made me cringe a little, you know like the end of it's a wonderful life, it just slipped past the edge of being too sacharrin. :biggrin:

baywax said:
This calls for a joke you may have already read:

Historians were digging up Beethoven's tomb (for some reason) and finally found him. There he was with a giant eraser, rubbing out his famous manuscripts. They exclaimed... "Beethoven, Beethoven what are you doing?!??! Beethoven replied, "decomposing".

OOOOOok then. :smile:

The Dagda said:
Oh don't worry I'm of course being light hearted and I don't mean to suggest it wasn't done with good motivation, it's just well it made me cringe a little, you know like the end of it's a wonderful life, it just slipped past the edge of being too sacharrin. :biggrin:

Somethings some people can't accept. Sooner or later they have to. When you see a law like the symbiosis of life and death, it can be described in too succinct a manner or, it can be described in a billion word essay. I prefer to economize my time when it comes to (bay)waxing philosophically.:uhh:

Leah said:

If life is meaningless, so seems death.

I was going to start another thread that was somewhat related to the topic of this one. But to answer the Original post. No, I guess I haven't accepted death because I don't know what will happen to me after I am dead. And also, I have a strong desire to want to live. In fact, most human beings want to live.

This was the reason why I wanted to start the other thread. I recently saw some global suicide statistics and it is estimated that around a million people die of suicide each year. And between 10-25 million people attempt (non-fatally) suicide in the world each year. As a percentage of the total human population of 6.6 billion, that is rather tiny.

So obviously, the vast vast majority of humans want to survive and have not accepted death. I'm going to start that other thread and find out why that is.

Almost everyone is capable of committing suicide or putting themselves in a situation where they could end their life. But what is it that prevents people from going through with.

I'm assuming that it is the fear of not knowing what is on the other side of life.

planck said:
Almost everyone is capable of committing suicide or putting themselves in a situation where they could end their life. But what is it that prevents people from going through with.

I'm assuming that it is the fear of not knowing what is on the other side of life.

Its going to be one or the other... fear of the unknown or love of life that keeps someone from actually carrying through with suicide. Many try and fail and this could be their subconscious wish to live prevailing.

Many don't try to commit suicide but die in domestic situations, accidents and in war... this could be their subconscious death wish prevailing.

An analogy, which might be appropriate, in this instance, would have you look at how many people are afraid to jump into a lake where the water is an unknown as far as how cold it is. Only a few brave people actually jump into the unknown (waters) regardless of temperature and weather conditions.

I'm still alive, I think, so no I'm not dead yet.

I've accepted death as inevitable, but I definitely have an incredibly strong desire to prolong life as long as possible. I seem to worry about this much more than most people, which may have something to do with the fact that I don't believe in an afterlife, and I most certainly don't believe in a Heaven. I'm probably in the majority her, at these forums, but most people that I tend to meet are Christian, Muslim, Jewish, or Hindu. I assume living with the belief that you are going to Heaven when you die would add some amount of padding to the idea of death. I imagine a person who truly thinks this is the only time he gets and he will never be allowed another type of existence would have the opportunity to appreciate life more than anyone else.

An old friend used to always urge me to wake up in the morning, look at myself in the mirror, and say, "I will die an ignorant man". Inspired by Socrates, this concept of dying ignorant is one that must be accepted in order for us to truly accept death itself.

baywax said:
Its going to be one or the other... fear of the unknown or love of life that keeps someone from actually carrying through with suicide. Many try and fail and this could be their subconscious wish to live prevailing.

Many don't try to commit suicide but die in domestic situations, accidents and in war... this could be their subconscious death wish prevailing.

An analogy, which might be appropriate, in this instance, would have you look at how many people are afraid to jump into a lake where the water is an unknown as far as how cold it is. Only a few brave people actually jump into the unknown (waters) regardless of temperature and weather conditions.
I don't quite agree with the analogy of the water. Only because, the person jumping is still aware of the outcome that results from jumping in the water. In other words, the water is cold, it's deep, one could drown, there are sharks or other animals waiting to eat him, etc...
So, jumping into the water is not a complete unknown to the person.

But death is much much different, in the sense that absolutely no one knows what the result will be. No one can imagine what death is like.

In trying to answer my original question, as to the reason why more people don't commit suicide--it must be pain. If we, or any animal, experience some form of pain--we register this as something negative and should be avoided. So from an evolutionary standpoint, our nerves are telling us that excessive pain will not keep us alive. So in one sense, if pain is not good, therefore dying is not good, therefore death is not good.

But the natural order of the universe to survive. The theories even suggest that the reason why matter exists is because of the one more matter particle than the anti-matter particle shortly after the big bang.

I agree with your initial point about the two reasons against committing suicide--fear of the unknown, or love of life.

petm1 said:
I'm still alive, I think, so no I'm not dead yet.
Quiet you. You're not fooling anyone you know. *thunk*

Age 23

All things being equal I would like to live an indefinite amount of time. That might be the reality for some our descendants but it is unlikely for us. I recently reached a sort of self awakening on the death issue through my love of science. I take solace in the fact that I am here at all and get to examine this fascinating universe.

I think this great fear of death in our species stems from this human tendency to need to attach conscience meaning to everything. As if this universe has some sort of cosmic plan for each and everyone of us. There is no reason to think that is the case. You are free to define your own meaning your life and just because you weren't created by some overbearing sky monster doesn't make you any less special.

By far I seem to take Sagan's view on the big questions, he ellucidated many of these ideas for me. So I quote him now,

" Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy."

drankin said:
I determined this myself when I was about 12 yrs old. In my own mind I find it impossible to simply not exist. Even after my body is gone. I believe others have come to this conclusion early in human history and it led to the belief in the after-life, reincarnation, among other theologies. Personally, I've come to the conclusion that we are, in fact, eternal. Just not in the physical realm.

Well, I don't think I've ever seen the argument from personal incredulity trotted out in this fashion. You find it impossible not to exist?

How do you account for the 13.69999 Billions years preceding your existence?