Having problems finding an equation for radioisotope production yield

In summary, the person is looking for equations that will give them the target's mass and half life, and is asking for help with algebra.
fissile_uranium
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to find the required target mass for a specific nuclear reaction with a fixed yield and cross-section.
I am trying to get a plot, or a result for target like this:
ToS7w.png

I've found some equations for my requested results, but they are from the same person's articles and I couldn't find another source. I've searched for EOB and TTY calculations but couldn't really do something. Could you give me an easy equation to apply? Also there are equations from this link:
https://www.degruyter.com/document/doi/10.1515/ract-2013-2234/html

DRdl2.png

64FqF.png

Could you help me with the wanted results? What equation should I use?

Properties:

29.4 TBq
0.05 barns
45 (target molar mass)
59.1 years (produced radionuclide half-life).

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
All parameters in your equation are constants or given except the time, the mass and the beam flux (calculate the decay constant from the half life). The flux you have to find somewhere. For the best rate (minimal target mass) you would assume "infinite irradiation time" (##t\gg\lambda##). That is not realistic with a half life of 59 years, so choose some realistic irradiation time.

@mfb I do not have the flux. And I want to get mass results for 29.4TBq/μA.h, just like the graph on top. But I do not have the equation. Are those real equations that give me mass or should I use another TTY equation?

I actually want something optimal, an optimal mass with an optimal time but to get there I think at first I need the mass information for 1 hour irradiation at 1 μA for the required activity yield. Also is there some way to transform beam current to the beam flux?

Sorry I am very new at these calculations.

fissile_uranium said:
And I want to get mass results for 29.4TBq/μA.h, just like the graph on top.
Then divide the equation by the flux and the time.
This is elementary algebra, things you should have mastered 10+ years before working on formulas for radioisotope production.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

After some cleanup, the thread is reopened.

1. What is a radioisotope?

A radioisotope is a type of atom that has an unstable nucleus and emits radiation as it decays into a more stable form. These radioactive atoms are commonly used in medical treatments, scientific research, and industrial applications.

2. Why is it important to find an equation for radioisotope production yield?

Having an equation for radioisotope production yield allows scientists to accurately predict and control the amount of radioisotopes produced. This is crucial for ensuring the safety and effectiveness of medical treatments and other applications.

3. What factors affect radioisotope production yield?

The production yield of radioisotopes can be influenced by a variety of factors, including the type and amount of target material, the energy of the particles used to bombard the target, and the duration of the bombardment process.

4. How is radioisotope production yield measured?

Radioisotope production yield is typically measured by comparing the amount of the desired radioisotope produced to the amount of target material used. This is often expressed as a percentage or a ratio.

5. Are there any challenges in finding an equation for radioisotope production yield?

Yes, there can be challenges in finding an equation for radioisotope production yield. These may include the complexity of the nuclear reactions involved, the variability of target materials and particle energies, and the need for precise and accurate measurements.

Back