Having trouble deciding my masters (and by extension, my future)

In summary: However, if you go into academia, you will have a much more varied and interesting career path. I think that depends on whether you go into industry or academia. Industry will probably almost always be more lucrative. However, if you go into academia, you will have a much more varied and interesting career path.
Christofferk
Hey there, i guess i just need to ventilate some and see what people think about my situation and about the choices i have.

First of all i must say that i am from Sweden and therefore i have conditions that few other people have. I get my education for free and i am free to chose whatever field i'd like to. Unlike some of my friends from earlier days in my life, i have actually taken this opportunity and have studied electrical engineering for quite some time now and just today i was given a bachelor thesis project to do (at my uni we apply for some projects available (you can suggest your own projects as well) and then you're given one depending on your previous academic results, i.e. you compete with other students for the spots at the project you want in on).

The problem i have is chosing the masters programme which i would attend, the type of programme i am enrolled in makes you take a bachelor AND a masters, you need both to graduate. I am torn between a future as an engineer or one as a physicist.

I am leaning towards either a masters programme called "wireless, photonics and space-engineering", which is basically like antennas and signals and stuff, and the other programme is one called "physics and astronomy" where you either specialize in theoretical, experimental or astrophysics.

The first one would give me more opportunities to work out in the industry as an engineer and make some sick money but the other one i think would be way more fun but i'd not have as many career-opportunities (getting a phd after would be the next step, naturual continuation of the masters) and i guess i'd not get the same pay i would get as an engineer.

I'm basically torn and i don't know what to do. Thoughts?

P.S (and yes, on my e.engineering programme we take a lot of physics and i have taken extra courses in physics, such as quantum mechanics etc etc to be better prepared for the physics-master if i end up choosing it)

P.P.S (and yes, i also get that you guys here may be biased)

Physics news on Phys.org
The real question seems to be what do YOU value more. The career opportunities of electrical engineering, or your passion for physics? Only you can answer this for yourself.

TJGilb said:
The real question seems to be what do YOU value more. The career opportunities of electrical engineering, or your passion for physics? Only you can answer this for yourself.
It's so haaard :( I mean, with the engineering-masters i'll have a way higher salary and the stability a full time employment provides, but the physics one seems more fun :(

Christofferk said:
It's so haaard :( I mean, with the engineering-masters i'll have a way higher salary and the stability a full time employment provides, but the physics one seems more fun :(

What information are you basing this conclusion on? All the data I've seen seems to indicate that on average, physics graduates earn salaries that aren't all that different from engineering graduates when they get into the workplace.

Choppy said:
What information are you basing this conclusion on? All the data I've seen seems to indicate that on average, physics graduates earn salaries that aren't all that different from engineering graduates when they get into the workplace.
Maybe i should also say that i am choosing between engineering degree in the industry, or taking the physics one and staying in academia, then the salary is lower.

Choppy said:
salaries that aren't all that different from engineering graduates when they get into the workplace.

I think that depends on whether you go into industry or academia. Industry will probably almost always be more lucrative.

Likes Christofferk

1. What should I consider when deciding on a master's degree?

When deciding on a master's degree, you should consider your career goals, interests, and strengths. You should also research the job market and potential salary for your chosen field of study. It is important to choose a program that aligns with your career aspirations and will provide you with the necessary skills and knowledge for your desired career path.

2. How do I choose between different master's programs?

To choose between different master's programs, you should carefully evaluate the curriculum, faculty, and resources offered by each program. Consider the reputation of the institution and the success of previous graduates. It is also helpful to speak with current students and alumni to get a better understanding of the program and its benefits.

3. Is it better to choose a specialized or generalist master's degree?

This depends on your career goals and interests. A specialized master's degree can provide you with in-depth knowledge and skills in a specific field, making you a more competitive candidate for specialized roles. On the other hand, a generalist master's degree can provide you with a broader understanding of various subjects and may be more suitable for certain industries.

4. Should I consider the location of the master's program?

The location of the master's program can be an important factor to consider. If the program is in a different city or country, you should research the cost of living, job market, and cultural and social opportunities in that location. It is also important to consider the accessibility and convenience of the location for your personal circumstances.

5. What if I am still unsure about which master's program to choose?

If you are still unsure about which master's program to choose, it may be helpful to speak with a career counselor or academic advisor. They can provide you with personalized advice and help you explore your options. You can also consider taking a gap year to gain more experience and clarity before committing to a master's program.