1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Having trouble graphing a Volume problem

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    Hello again,

Once I get this graphed correctly, I don't see any problems as to why I couldn't solve it. But for now I have a question about graphing this volume problem.

The problem says to find the volume generated by rotating the region bounded by [itex]y=e^x[/itex], [itex]x=0[/itex], and [itex]y=\pi[/itex] about the x-axis.

I have a picture of what I my graph would look like. The green curve is the line [itex]y=e^x[/itex], and the rust colored line is, [itex]x=0[/itex]. My question is where do I graph [itex]y=\pi[/itex] ? Is it as simple as placing the line at y = 3.14?

Thanks for taking a look. It is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2006 #2
    I still am unsure about this. I could use the help. Thanks.

Actually I think I got it. But if you could look at confirm or deny what I have come up with I would appreciate it.

Attached Files:

• scan.gif
      File size:
      130.7 KB
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2006
  4. Oct 7, 2006 #3
    I'd love to confirm what you have, however, for some reason the attachment is "pending approval." I can't view it.

Left boundary is a vertical line at x=0. Right and bottom boundary is y=e^x. Top boundary is y=pi. There's an intersection point where y=e^x and y=pi meet. It should look like a triangle. Then you rotate about the x-axis.

I didn't bother attaching a picture since attachments on this forum need some approval.
  5. Oct 7, 2006 #4

Homework Helper

Yes, it is as simple as placing a line parallel to the x-axis at y = 3.14.
  6. Oct 7, 2006 #5
    Thanks fire and radou.

Fire ~ Your description is what my graph looks like so thanks again.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?