Having trouble with complex quadratic equations

In summary, the conversation is about solving for A in a complex number equation using the quadratic formula. The person asking for help made a mistake while substituting values into the formula, confusing A with X. After realizing their mistake, they were able to get the correct answer.
Jeff Cook
All,

I am not sure how to handle this situation with complex numbers. Can you help?

Q = A^2 + ABi

Where Q is a complex number.

Can we not solve for A if we know Q and Bi using a quadratic equation?

0 = A^2 + ABi + -Q

Let...

Q = 455
Bi = -22

And in this case I do know that A = 35. However...

When,

a = 1
b = -22
c = -455

Solving...

A = ( -1 +/- Sqrt { 1 - ( 4 * -22 * -455 )}) / 2

I do not get A = 35. Any idea why and what I may be doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jeff

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You messed up while substituting values into the quadratic formula.

Show...

Hurky,

Could you show me what you mean? Where did I mess up?

J

You have confused what the problem is. You are using A in place of X, then you turn around and act like it is something else.

Jeff Cook said:
Hurky,

Could you show me what you mean? Where did I mess up?

J
There are 5 places in the quadratic formula where you need to substitute a number. You got three of them wrong. You know the quadratic formula, right? The solutions to

ax² + bx + c = 0

are

[tex]\frac{-b \pm \sqrt{b^2 - 4ac}}{2a},[/tex]

right? Just double check your work!

robert Ihnot said:
You have confused what the problem is. You are using A in place of X, then you turn around and act like it is something else.
I'm quite sure he did not make that mistake.

Oops...

Hurky,

Okay, I was placing a in place of b in the quadratic equation. Stupid mistake. Thanks greatly. Now I get the correct answer.

Jeff

What are complex quadratic equations?

Complex quadratic equations are equations that involve a variable raised to the second power (quadratic) and also contain complex numbers, which are numbers that involve the imaginary unit, denoted by i. Complex quadratic equations can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are complex numbers.

Why do people have trouble with complex quadratic equations?

People may have trouble with complex quadratic equations because they involve both quadratic equations and complex numbers, which can be difficult concepts to grasp. Additionally, solving complex quadratic equations often requires multiple steps and can be time-consuming.

How can I solve complex quadratic equations?

To solve a complex quadratic equation, you can use the quadratic formula: x = (-b ± √(b^2 - 4ac)) / 2a. Alternatively, you can use factoring or completing the square methods. It is important to remember to use the imaginary unit, i, when dealing with complex numbers.

What are the real and imaginary parts of a complex quadratic equation?

The real part of a complex quadratic equation is the part without the imaginary unit, while the imaginary part is the part that includes the imaginary unit. For example, in the equation 2x^2 + 3ix - 5 = 0, the real part is 2x^2 - 5 and the imaginary part is 3ix.

How can I check my solution to a complex quadratic equation?

To check your solution to a complex quadratic equation, you can substitute the value of x into the original equation and see if it satisfies the equation. Additionally, you can use a graphing calculator or software to plot the equation and see if your solution lies on the curve.