Having trouble with engineering mecheanics

• Thread starter shaan_aragorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineering
In summary, there are a few suggestions for resources for understanding basic concepts in Engineering Mechanics. The best book recommended is by Timeshenko and Young, while others also suggest Halliday/Resnick/Walker - Fundimantals of Physics. The importance of this subject is emphasized as it will have practical applications in everyday work and also provide a necessary perspective for mechanical engineering.
shaan_aragorn
I am a freshman in mechanical engineering and am having lots of trouble in getting to understand the basic concepts of Engineering Mechanics. Could anyone suggest some good websites which start from the basic? Also i would like to know how important this subject is.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The best book in my view is by Timeshenko and Young. Singer is for advanced learners. The subject is so important that you will find atleast one application a day when you come to job. Moreover, the subject will give an outlook which is essential for a mechanical engineer.

I don't know any websites but the book I suggested will give you the required basic knowledge. Dig into solving the problems and you will really enjoy the subject.

Quark,
What edition do you own?

Try Halliday/Resnick/Walker - Fundimantals of Physics. The book is the guru for undergrad engineering physics all across the World.

how important is this? I would say it is one of the most important aspects of your engginering education.

Thanks for ur suggestions.

Fred,

I have 4th edition of (1988, I think 34th reprint) Timoshenko and Young. I used to refer Singer from the library.

Shan,

Nenad has given you an excellent suggestion. In fact I was about to tell the same thing. Get your physics basics strong by Resnick and Halliday and you will never have to look back.

I use Hibbeler or Johnston-beer, both are almost identical and equally GOOD.

What is engineering mechanics?

Engineering mechanics is a branch of physics that applies the principles of mechanics, such as force, motion, and energy, to the design and analysis of structures and machines.

Why do people have trouble with engineering mechanics?

Engineering mechanics can be a challenging subject because it requires a solid understanding of fundamental physics principles and the ability to apply those principles to real-world problems.

What are some common areas of difficulty in engineering mechanics?

Some common areas of difficulty in engineering mechanics include understanding and applying concepts such as equilibrium, kinematics, and dynamics, as well as solving complex problems involving multiple forces and systems.

How can I improve my understanding of engineering mechanics?

To improve your understanding of engineering mechanics, it is important to review and practice fundamental concepts, break down complex problems into smaller, manageable parts, and seek help from instructors or tutors when needed.

What are some real-world applications of engineering mechanics?

Engineering mechanics has many real-world applications, including the design and analysis of structures such as buildings and bridges, the design and operation of machines and vehicles, and the development of new technologies in fields such as aerospace, automotive, and robotics.