What Does F Represent in Group Theory?

• Thread starter MikeDietrich
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terminology
In summary, "F" is a set that contains all real-valued functions of real argument with domain R. In other words, it is a set of all functions where the input and output are both real numbers. Some examples that would fall into set "F" are functions like x^2, x-1, |x|, and x^5-5x+sin(x). However, functions like 1/x and (x,x) are not included in "F" because they do not meet the requirements for the domain and codomain.
MikeDietrich
Hi-

Let me first start by saying that I do not have a mathematics background and I have a feeling my question is a moronic one but my attempts with "google" did not help so here I am.

I am about to do an assignment (but this is not a homework question IMHO) that asks me to determine if "F", with various operations, are groups. "F" is defined as:

"the set of all real-valued functions of real argument with domain R".

I do not know exactly what this means. In other words, what is "F"? Can someone give some some examples that would fall into set "F"? Or a good link with explanation?

Regards,
Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
In f lie every function of the form [tex]f:\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R} [/tex].

Examples:
[tex] \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x\rightarrow x^2 [/tex]
[tex] \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x\rightarrow x-1 [/tex]
[tex] \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x\rightarrow |x| [/tex]
[tex] \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x\rightarrow x^5-5x+sin(x) [/tex]

Counterexamples:
[tex]\mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x\rightarrow 1/x [/tex] (is not defined in 0, so the domain is not entire [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex]
[tex] \mathbb{R}\rightarrow \mathbb{R}: x\rightarrow (x,x) [/tex] (the element (x,x) is not in the codomain [tex]\mathbb{R}[/tex], but in [tex]\mathbb{R}^2[/tex]).

Perfect. Thank you.

1. What is the importance of understanding terminology in science?

Understanding terminology is crucial in science as it allows for clear communication and prevents misunderstandings. It also ensures consistency and accuracy in research and helps scientists build upon previous knowledge.

2. How can I improve my understanding of scientific terminology?

One way to improve understanding is to regularly read scientific literature and pay attention to the terminology used. You can also consult a glossary or dictionary specific to your field of study. Additionally, discussing terminology with colleagues and asking questions can also be helpful.

3. What should I do if I encounter unfamiliar terminology in my research?

If you come across unfamiliar terminology, it is important to look it up and understand its meaning before proceeding with your research. This can prevent errors and ensure the accuracy of your work. You can also consult with a mentor or colleague for clarification.

4. What is the difference between scientific terminology and everyday language?

Scientific terminology is often more precise and specific than everyday language. It is also commonly standardized and used consistently within the scientific community. Additionally, scientific terminology may have different meanings or connotations compared to everyday language.

5. How can I keep up with new and evolving scientific terminology?

One way to stay updated is to regularly read scientific literature and attend conferences and workshops. You can also follow reputable scientific organizations and journals on social media and sign up for newsletters. Additionally, staying connected with colleagues and discussing new terminology can also help keep you informed.