Hawking Solves Black Hole Mystery

In summary: Dublin:In summary, John Baez and Roger Penrose will be talking. Sounds pretty good.Apparently its taken him 30 years to find the answer.He should have asked me, took about 3 minutes to work it out.And the answer is...Magnetic fields.Anybody care to do the mathematics, John?Hi Russ,I started a thread about this a while back (2 July) and we had a fairly wide ranging discussion which readers of this thread might want to check out: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=33553&page=2 . I suggest you check it out if you're interested.Somewhere in that thread there is
Astronomy news on Phys.org
russ_watters said:
http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996151

The explanation will have to wait until next week though when he presents his findings at a black hole conference.

Hi Russ,

I started a thread about this a while back (2 July) and we had a fairly
wide ranging discussion which readers of this thread might want to check out:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=33553

Somewhere in that thread there is Hawking's brief summary of the talk he plans to give, and a link to the whole program of the conference, listing all the plenary talks. It is the 17th triennial conference on General Relativity and Gravity (abbr. GR17) and by no means restricted to black holes!
John Baez and Roger Penrose will be talking. sounds pretty good

Apparently its taken him 30 years to find the answer :surprise:
He should have asked me, took about 3 minutes to work it out :biggrin:
And the answer is ----------------------------Magnetic fields,
Anybody care to do the mathematics, :confused:

marcus said:
Hi Russ,

I started a thread about this a while back (2 July) and we had a fairly
wide ranging discussion which readers of this thread might want to check out:
D'oh - sorry.

I don't think that title is fair. Most of the work was done by other people.

If he were not so humble, I'm sure Mathur (whose office is 3 doors down from mine) could claim to have solved the paradox.

Has anyone observed, recorded effects of Hawking radiation or shown
any evidence that it exists yet?, i think his theory is just a mathematical
pinprick, in the BH saga.
I don't know how much BH science theory ,matches "known",
things, with a high degree of certainty, maybe someone could
give the latest news?
Can Hawking bring any new thinking into BH science, i dare say
he will produce a nice mathematical solution, but with no real world
way of knowing if he is right.

Gokul43201 said:
I don't think that title is fair. Most of the work was done by other people.

If he were not so humble, I'm sure Mathur (whose office is 3 doors down from mine) could claim to have solved the paradox.

Gokul congratulations for various things! Like being in the physics department at Ohio State 3 doors down from Mathur and so forth!
I will keep an eye out for your papers----or, if you are not too modest to self-promote, please give a link to some of your research.

In the other thread ("PF member solves BH info paradox") where we were also discussing this, you mentioned Mathur's efforts in that direction.

In that thread, I remember giving two arXiv links to Samir Mathur papers:

http://arxiv.org/gr-qc/0007011 [Broken]
Resolving the black hole information paradox
Samir D. Mathur

http://arxiv.org/hep-th/0205192 [Broken]
A proposal to resolve the black hole information paradox
Samir D. Mathur

The first one is the one you mentioned. In the second one the title seems more tentative. Since you know Mathur, does he currently feel that he has resolved the paradox? And if so, would that be restricted to a string theory context somehow, or valid generally?

Here is link to that thread "PF member solves BH paradox"
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=246672#post246672

I think the wonderful thing about a good paradox is that it keeps on being paradoxical until some fundamental notions change. Do you think so, and would this apply to BH info paradox?

I suspect that BH info paradox will persist until there is a change in some fundamental notion, like time or black hole or something equally basic.

I suspect it will not be resolved merely within the context of some established model, but it will force some change in the model.

must stress, of course, that this is a humble personal opinion. Best wishes to you and colleague Samir.

Last edited by a moderator:
wolram said:
... i think his theory is just a mathematical
pinprick, in the BH saga...

wolram, I think you may have read Hawking's brief summary his paper which is posted at the Dublin GR17 site
It says something like "Event Horizons don't really exist"

the earlier so-called "semiclassical" analysis of BH
which Hawking and others did (back in 1970s, a lot of if)
assumes that the event horizon is a meaningful surface and it looks
at processes occurring around the event horizon

now the abstract of his talk is saying, in effect, "what we used to think of as an event horizon never really forms"

I don't want to sound either like a fan or a detractor of him
but his abstract promises to propose a basic change in how to look at black holes. If he comes thru on that, then maybe you will be satisfied.

Because that would tend to confirm what you just said, that the work up til now has been more of a semiclassical pinprick
or a semiclassical stab-in-the-BH-dark
that somehow didnt quite connect with the hole reality

the other aspect is Sir Stephen's showmanship
the abstract may have some blurb character
(rather than being just dry objective summary of what he will say)

in Dublin they must be talking about GR17 like it was a football match
or a new brand of beer

Here's the link to the GR17 programme
here is the webpage for the GR17 conference:
http://www.dcu.ie/~nolanb/gr17.htm [Broken]

Here's Hawking's abstract taken from that GR17 site:

"- The information paradox for black holes

The Euclidean path integral over all topologically trivial metrics can be done by time slicing and so is unitary when analytically continued to the Lorentzian. On the other hand, the path integral over all topologically non-trivial metrics is asymptotically independent of the initial state. Thus the total path integral is unitary and information is not lost in the formation and evaporation of black holes. The way the information gets out seems to be that a true event horizon never forms, just an apparent horizon."

Was wondering if any of hawking's work has actually been proven. Is it not true that you can do magic with maths ?

bozo the clown said:
Was wondering if any of hawking's work has actually been proven. Is it not true that you can do magic with maths ?

I feel that it is very important to be discussing the work of Stephen Hawking with someone named Bozo the Clown
and therefore I am replying in haste to your question.

what you can do or not do with maths is a side issue

in fact someone at Cambridge was posting (I think on sci.physics.research) and saying that he had attended a seminar Hawking gave about this very work this summer, and that it was not even mathematically convincing.

there would not be any experimental backing, that is a given

the issue is not experimental evidence but mathematical rigor and consistency

in effect he said that even in that department it was a bit sketchy and he guessed it would not convince a lot of people that the paradox really was resolved

but who knows? we can just wait and see

Steven* Hawking is truly the successor to Albert* Einstein in terms of the power of fame. Everyone gasps when they promise to reveal something new. Also, it is a super big bonus to be able to argue convincingly against them. Who else can hold the presses like this.

*May we start calling them Steve and Al?

quartodeciman said:
*May we start calling them Steve and Al?

Please not to call Albert Einstein Al

otherwise I have no concern

Question!

According to this article: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/07/15/hawking.holes.reut/index.html [Broken]

Is the "Way Out" simply a way to resolve the apparent paradox between quantum theory and physics at a larger level, or is it a hypothetical means to travel out of this universe, into others, as some versions of quantum theory imply is possible? Or is it a little bit of both? Or does anybody have any clue?

Maybe, I've missed something, maybe you've missed something,
let me see if this works, a black hole, is a gravitational dent in space time, and probably lots of other stuff, as well, but that's a different kettle of black holes, anyway a black hole, is a gravitational dent in space time, undoubtedly emitting a massive magnetic field, although matter, including light, and radiation are drawn towards the gravitational dent, the magnetic field would be unaffected, because the particles that make up a magnetic field, let's call them maggots, are unaffected by gravity particles
Now the supposed paradox that everything enters a black hole but nothing leaves, isn't really a paradox, because a black hole in a field of maggots will lose information through the maggots wouldn't it?

Jeebus said:
According to this article: http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/science/07/15/hawking.holes.reut/index.html [Broken]

Is the "Way Out" simply a way to resolve the apparent paradox between quantum theory and physics at a larger level, or is it a hypothetical means to travel out of this universe, into others, as some versions of quantum theory imply is possible? Or is it a little bit of both? Or does anybody have any clue?

The theory combining classical, and quantum physics, the unifying theory, or the theory of everything,
Although this was difficult, it took me almost a week, I've gone and done it, the answer is relatively simple excuse the pune, although what has alluded me so far, is putting it into words, i.e. turning an idea into simple text
A way of very very roughly describing it is , its all about scale, and probability

If Hawking presents a mathematical model for the the vast amount of hot air he produces then he will have his first proven working theory.
The guy is overated not in the same league as Einstien and Feynman
I think he should concentrate his efforsts on writing sci-fi novels, a more useful contribution to society.

..ok I know I am prob going to get plastered !

Last edited:
bozo the clown said:
The guy is overated not in the same league as Einstien and Feynman

..ok I know I am prob going to get plastered !

on the contrary, you should be awarded a medal

Popular science idols can easily confuse more people than they inform
and their popularity can have to do with other things besides how enlightening their schtick actually is.

about hawking, Bozo the Clown said it so I don't have to.

thanks

That was cold. Apparently the contributions Hawking made to solving field equations, predicting 'Hawking Radiation', and otherwise proposing workable solutions to black hole theory are just a bunch of populist bunk. I also suppose that means Roger Penrose's contributions to string theory, is merely his way of apologizing for collaborating with Hawking.

History will, no doubt, recognize the contributions of Bozo and Marcus to the evolution of modern theory.

Apologies. That really got to me. Hawking is controversial, in some respects. But, he has brilliant insights and is a better scientist than most of us could ever hope to be. But thanks for the other insight, Marcus. I thought the title 'Physics Expert' meant you had peer recognition.

So publish your papers. I will lamely critique them.

Last edited:
I heard Hawking and Penrose went on a balloon flight, after enjoying the scenery and shortly before they were due to land they started talking black holes strings etc ... , anyways they started ascending rapidly but it didn't take long for these imaginitive physicists to realize that when they kept their mouths closed they were able to land the balloon.

Chronos said:
History will, no doubt, recognize the contributions of Bozo and Marcus to the evolution of modern theory.

We are not talking about historical contributions to science (both Hawking and Penrose, not to mention Feynman and Einstein) have made splendid contributions!

I don't spend time ranking great men of science but I guess I probably consider Penrose as one of the most creative mathematicians of our time. I can't tell how seriously to take Hawking's current contributions but his insights of the 1970s are among the most important in the theoretical physics of the second half of the 20th.

I don't see how you, Chronos, can have gotten so confused about what I was saying. I admire these men as scientist and mathematician and esteem their very real contributions.

What we were talking about is Hawking as popular science idol.
In that capacity I do not think he has done science or the public any good.
His popular books have tended to confuse people.
His image resonates with a distorted popular misconception of what scientists are like.
Because he is good "copy" the media and journalists make a big buzz around Hawking at every opportunity. And I have the impression he encourages this.

There have been other Science Celebrities who, IMO, performed that role wonderfully well. Feynman was great BOTH in reality as a scientist and as a mythical science-figure in the public eye. Carl Sagan was a wonderful science celebrity.
These men were not mere short-sighted self-promoters and they used their visibility and media-presence to teach deep valuable lessons to the public about what science is about.
Einstein was a great Popular Idol, as well as being great in the real scientist department.

In my respectful opinion how a science idol uses his or her prominence to give a face to science is important and some people have used their celebrity status well and others have used it selfishly and destructively.

You raised the issue of Sir Roger Penrose. As far as I know he is not a Media Magnet---but I could be mistaken. I never got the impression that he was confusing the public or particularly looking for media attention. So if you are criticising me for being disrespectful of Penrose you are not reading my posts or else you are grossly distorting the situation. I am currently trying to call attention to the Friday 23 July public lecture by Penrose called "Fashion Faith and Fantasy in Theoretical Physics". he is quite a wonderful guy IMHO and the lecture (of which I've heard an online previous version) is a wonderful lecture for general audience.

Last edited:
bozo the clown said:
I heard Hawking and Penrose went on a balloon flight, after enjoying the scenery and shortly before they were due to land they started talking black holes strings etc ... , anyways they started ascending rapidly but it didn't take long for these imaginitive physicists to realize that when they kept their mouths closed they were able to land the balloon.
Get real, OZOB! What's with the Hawking/Penrose bashing? It's an old joke with different names thrown in. Sour grapes maybe? Read Chronos' post above and try as he suggests; I'll read your posts before dismissing them as garbage... :zzz:

I'm not real big on Bible studies, but like one of the 13 Commandments says; "Thou shalt not envy."

NOTE to PF Mentors:
Don't delete it yet today, sometimes we have to disagree in public for our own mental stability.

Labguy said:

Labguy, sometimes I don't get jokes----are you really 100 years old this year?

You come across as a curmudgeon, perhaps, but more like a curmudgeon in early retirement.

If I had to guess, I'd say born in the Depression years 1932-1940.

But somehow you got this impulse to tell us you were born in 1904, the year after Kitty Hawk. We celebrated your 100th birthday at PF and I wrote you a congratulatory post which you probably didnt read.

I know some people live past 100 and remain very sharpwitted so I have to believe you were not pulling our electronic legs.

Bozo,
Gadzooks! Is Penrose also guilty of being a great Hot Air Puffer?
I thought he was a delightful guy with lots of original thoughts who writes books on stuff besides mathematics---but I didnt think of him as an attention-getter. Did I miss something?

We should dust off the old word "pietist" people who think it is very important to be pious all the time are pietists. It is hard to spell. Is there a better word?
Sycophant?
those who worship the outer garments, to show how reverent they are.
what's the word for it.

Is it okay to post this here?

Didn't Dr. Hawking presented some amazing thoughts yesterday, saying that BH, unlike he previously thought, do end up parting with what went into them? That's what I got from the remarks, that they reveal the past and even the future. Certainly the past, I'm sure on that part. I guess it streams out of them. What I'm excited about is if so, maybe we could capture it and get some more information on Biblical times. That part has me about in a swoon.

BTW, I don't think Dr. Hawking is a media hound. My ex "knows" him. Dr. Hawking keeps quiet about much of his life. He has a troubled life; even looks like someone is trying to harm him, someone close to him. Maybe some posters from Britain could add to that. It isn't covered much here. But he keeps quiet about it.

holly said:
Is it okay to post this here?

Indeed, it seems like an ideal place to post it. I think you holly have very good sense about human nature and people. So if you think Dr Hawking is not a media hound then I have to say that you may be right and I wrong about that. So I will lay down that particular banner or placard and let someone else wave it if they want.

Also, holly, do you think Labguy is really 100 years old or was he kidding?
I trust your judgement in this more than my own.

Rats, it seems that Labguy has gone and edited his Public Profile so that he is no longer 100 years old, but is a young whipper-snapper.

No one will believe Labguy is under 30, even I can see that is a ruse.

Last edited:
Human psychology evidently has its own version of a black hole: Everything that gets sucked in eventually gets spewed out, many times on the wrong people.

And usually nice-natured people, if they hang around with not-so-nice people, sometimes get pulled into darkness, too. A little tip to all: Anger, snideness, mocking, hate: All are just fear dressed in different mouldering rags. I'll take my fear unadorned and urge you to find the strength to do the same.

All this flaming on this thread; it's disgusting. When I used to work for a veterinarian, all the dogs we were boarding would get to snarling and howling and barfing and running in circles and generally wild in their cages. I recall trying to understand that they were all hurting, lonely, upset, being nice to them, soothing. They kept at it. The vet walked in, and being a practical man, took a yardstick and ran it up and down the chainlink of the cages. Up and down, zzzzzrrrr, clang, on and on. Then he let himself into the dog run and started to lay about with the yardstick. Everyone got a slap on the butt with it. They all calmed down. He hit me a few times as well, and the stick broke. Aw, don't tell me about animal abuse. The whop on the rear helped them. Helped me. I wish I had a yardstick right about now; I'd whop you guys good and you'd all feel better afterwards. Man, these physics types, so quarrelsome. So scared that maybe their vaunted intelligence isn't so grand. Then what do they have to be proud of?

Shut up everyone and talk about black holes now.

The black holes: I never did think it made sense that nothing could get out, or only a little get out. That doesn't seem to go with the rest of the world.

edit, can't spell 2day

Last edited:
im just kiddin around I pretty much agree with what Marcus was saying.

In regards to the vet and the measure ruler.

Pavlovian response by ruler dragging on the cage? Yet I do not believe this man was smart enough(warm enough) to speak to the animals in another way.

Should of rang bell, and gave each a treat? Repetivenss of the bell and treat and soon, just the bell will silent? :smile: Introduce new treat in words of kindness and the bell and kindness form, and then soon, the bell becomes kindness :smile:

Anyway back to black holes

bozo the clown said:
im just kiddin around I pretty much agree with what Marcus was saying.

dont worry bozo,

holly was correcting my manners, not yours,
I can tell this from some of the things she said

marcus said:
Labguy, sometimes I don't get jokes----are you really 100 years old this year?

But somehow you got this impulse to tell us you were born in 1904, the year after Kitty Hawk. We celebrated your 100th birthday at PF and I wrote you a congratulatory post which you probably didnt read.

I know some people live past 100 and remain very sharpwitted so I have to believe you were not pulling our electronic legs.
No, actually I don't type worth a *%#@ and only noticed last week that I was 100 years old. So, I changed (1905, I think) to 1975. You won't believe how long it takes me to type even a short post; two-fingered.

I don't usually like to post sarcastic comments, but it does get my feathers ruffled when someone (other threads) flat-out calls me an idiot when I have doubts about point singularities of infinite density, or when I state that a black hole can emit pairs of real particles by methods other than "Hawking radiation". They can and do, period.

You come across as a curmudgeon, perhaps, but more like a curmudgeon in early retirement.
I don't know what one of those is. (?)

If I had to guess, I'd say born in the Depression years 1932-1940.
Cripes, I'm not that old. Also, my name actually isn't "Labguy" any more than bozo is bozo or jcsd is jcsd, etc. If you're Marcus then I'm Stephen, that's a real name. But, like holly says, back to black holes.

OK people want to talk about black holes.

I will toss in a two-bit opinion that may be relevant to the present media play.

Unitarity

It is like singularity
(the word has a technical meaning that doesn't jibe with what it sounds like and this has caused public misunderstanding and turmoil for years)
A singularity is a region where a model breaks down and fails to compute or computes nonsense like infinities. A singularity does not have to be a single isolated point---the model can break down over a whole region.
But it sounds like the bad place should be a single isolated point.

The Black Hole Information Paradox could also be called
"the Unitarity of quantum mechanics paradox"

Unitary sounds like universal or unified or whole or united but it doesn't mean that. It is a mathematical terms meaning "distance preserving" which is applied to the time-evolution operator in conventional quantum mechanics. And even the idea "distance -preserving" is misleading. What it comes down to is that the time-evolution operator in conventional quantum theory preserves virgin unmixed states of the system, whatever the system is.

In conventional quantum theory the time evolution operator preserves information because it preserves pure crisp quantum states.
These are states with definite quantum numbers describing them that have not been mooshed or averaged together with other states so that it is part this and part that. It is a hard idea and maybesomeone else will help.

If a state is pure and crisp then by conventional QM it will always be so if you just let time pass-----even 1060 years will not cause one hair to turn gray. Shakespeare probably wrote a sonnet about it.

But people have found a case, involving a black hole, where it does not seem to work.

Shhhh! Maybe there are many many cases where this "unitarity" of time-evolution does not work. maybe it is actually an unrealistic assumption built into conventional quantum theory. Heresy!

The BH info paradox excites physicists basically not because of black holes but because it threatens one of the all-time most fundamental assumptions of Quantum Theory------which for many physicists is like threatening Mother.

But they will mostly not admit that. Your physicist in the street will say that the paradox shows there must be something wrong with our understanding of black holes.

they must, somehow, not destroy information but instead somehow "let it out" in a kind of burp after they eat something

or by "teleportation" or in a little *pop* that happens 10^60 years later when they evaporate. So people are busy imagining burp mechanisms by which the info can be restored to the world at large at least by the time the black hole evaporates and is no more.

this is a way of saving Mother Unitarity

Labguy said:
I don't usually like to post sarcastic comments, but it does get my feathers ruffled when someone (other threads) flat-out calls me an idiot when I have doubts about point singularities of infinite density, ]

I hope holly will join me in roundly admonishing whoever called Labguy idiot, which he most especially is not.

Also congratulations on being 29 years old and not 100, as was heretofore supposed.

Also you seem to have been prophetic about doing away with the BH singularity. Bojowald (who did away with the BigBang singularity by quantizing the equation that governs it) is getting set to look at black holes, and I would expect that he will quantize the model we have of them and there will turn out to be something interesting quantum business down where the singularity used to be.

the density, I would hazard a guess like yours Labguy, may well not be infinite down in the Planck scale guts of the thing.

Or maybe Bojowald will fail and someone else succeed. At all events infinities are meant to be done away with by improving the model

I KNEW the yardstick would work. Now we ALL feel better.

Except for me. I thought that the BH really were going to "burp" the information back out, as marcus so pithily put it. Isn't that what Dr. Hawking says now? And we can catch the information? But marcus is thinking that's not it, so now it doesn't seem so hopeful. Or maybe I don't understand what marcus says. I thought we had a good chance to see some of the past happenings as they go by. I had my heart set on seeing some of the stories of Genesis.

I hope no one is calling Labguy an idiot. I still have the yardstick handy.

(sol2, the dogs weren't hurt by the ruler. They couldn't calm themselves, didn't know their place. The vet let them know he was top dog and that everything was safe and okay. These were just dogs boarding, no time to train them. No one seems to care I was whopped also. Hmph.)

How can the BH stuff be proven? Is it proven by math or by some experiment? Are enough people working on it?

holly said:
I KNEW the yardstick would work. Now we ALL feel better.

Except for me. I thought that the BH really were going to "burp" the information back out, as marcus so pithily put it. Isn't that what Dr. Hawking says now?

yes dammit holly, but with all (well-earned) respect due to hawking
he could be wrong

indeed he has found a burp mechanism

but this is the free marketplace of ideas and people may not buy it

other eminent physicists (e.g. leonard susskind, maldacena) have invented burp mechanisms and tried to market them and people have not bought

another possible view of the paradox is that a burp is not needed
because by the time the black hole evaporates the information
it ate might simply have died or faded away naturally

maybe the paradox is telling us that information is not everlasting
and crisp new quantum states do not last forever

at present this little squabble is among mathematicians and the like,
and it is resolvable by more or less theoretical means (without experiment)
if I understand the issues rightly. Also I suspect
they probably didnt need to have made such a ruckus about it

As for great poetry, we know it lives forever anyway. just
dont let your books get rained on and keep them from falling into black holes :smile:

<h2>1. What is the "Black Hole Information Paradox" that Hawking solved?</h2><p>The Black Hole Information Paradox is a long-standing problem in physics that arises from the theory of general relativity. It questions what happens to the information that falls into a black hole, as according to the theory, it can never escape. This violates the principle of conservation of information, leading to a paradox.</p><h2>2. How did Hawking solve the Black Hole Information Paradox?</h2><p>Hawking proposed a theory called "Hawking Radiation", which states that black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near the event horizon. This radiation carries away information from the black hole, solving the paradox and preserving the principle of conservation of information.</p><h2>3. What were the implications of Hawking's solution?</h2><p>Hawking's solution to the Black Hole Information Paradox had significant implications for the fields of physics and cosmology. It showed that information is not lost in black holes, and the laws of quantum mechanics apply to them. It also opened up new avenues for research and further understanding of black holes and their behavior.</p><h2>4. How was Hawking's solution received by the scientific community?</h2><p>Hawking's solution was met with both excitement and skepticism from the scientific community. While many praised his groundbreaking idea, others questioned its validity and proposed alternative theories. The debate continues to this day, and further research is being conducted to fully understand the implications of Hawking's solution.</p><h2>5. What impact did Hawking's solution have on our understanding of black holes?</h2><p>Hawking's solution revolutionized our understanding of black holes. It showed that these mysterious objects are not truly "black" and can emit radiation, challenging previous assumptions. It also shed light on the connection between quantum mechanics and general relativity, two fundamental theories of physics, and paved the way for further research and discoveries in this field.</p>

1. What is the "Black Hole Information Paradox" that Hawking solved?

The Black Hole Information Paradox is a long-standing problem in physics that arises from the theory of general relativity. It questions what happens to the information that falls into a black hole, as according to the theory, it can never escape. This violates the principle of conservation of information, leading to a paradox.

2. How did Hawking solve the Black Hole Information Paradox?

Hawking proposed a theory called "Hawking Radiation", which states that black holes emit radiation due to quantum effects near the event horizon. This radiation carries away information from the black hole, solving the paradox and preserving the principle of conservation of information.

3. What were the implications of Hawking's solution?

Hawking's solution to the Black Hole Information Paradox had significant implications for the fields of physics and cosmology. It showed that information is not lost in black holes, and the laws of quantum mechanics apply to them. It also opened up new avenues for research and further understanding of black holes and their behavior.

4. How was Hawking's solution received by the scientific community?

Hawking's solution was met with both excitement and skepticism from the scientific community. While many praised his groundbreaking idea, others questioned its validity and proposed alternative theories. The debate continues to this day, and further research is being conducted to fully understand the implications of Hawking's solution.

5. What impact did Hawking's solution have on our understanding of black holes?

Hawking's solution revolutionized our understanding of black holes. It showed that these mysterious objects are not truly "black" and can emit radiation, challenging previous assumptions. It also shed light on the connection between quantum mechanics and general relativity, two fundamental theories of physics, and paved the way for further research and discoveries in this field.