Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

He will be missed

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

One of my favorite songs with a moog is "Lucky Man" by Emerson, Lake & Palmer.

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    Ah... I've heard people say before that they want a "Moog". I realized that it was a synthesizer but didn't realize why it was called a "Moog".

5. Aug 23, 2005 #4

Tsu

Gold Member

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5
    I second the sentiment ...

7. Aug 24, 2005 #6
    I still have my Moog 960 analogue sequencer, I am sure I haven't turned it on in over 15 years. I may half to dust it off in his honor. I still listen to Switched on Bach from time to time. Sad to hear hes gone.

8. Aug 24, 2005 #7

Astronuc

As someone mentioned, the Moog synthesizer was the first instrument that could compete against the electric guitar. Keith Emerson (EL&P) did wonders on the Moog (Brain Salad Surgery, particularly Karn Evil), and many other groups, like Led Zeppelin, used it as well.

Robert Moog will be missed. It is indeed a loss.

9. Aug 24, 2005 #8
    I don't know who he is.

10. Aug 24, 2005 #9

Astronuc

11. Aug 24, 2005 #10
    You've heard his instrument, though, I'm sure. The Moog Synthesizer was made famous when it was used in the film score of A Clockwork Orange.

12. Aug 24, 2005 #11

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'd love a Moog.

Rest in peace, Mister Moog.

13. Aug 24, 2005 #12

Danger

Gold Member

What an awesome contribution to music! I agree with others that ELP was one of the most prominent demonstrators of the technology. The whole 'Trilogy' album just blows me away, but especially the Copeland stuff. RIP Mr. Moog.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?