1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Head on collision between mirror image vehicles

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    I have a question and I would like some help.

Assuming mirror image vehicles hitting at 65mph. Is the force exacted on each vehicle equal to 130mph or 65 mph. My assumption is that it would be the same as hitting an inelastic brick wall..

Thank ya'll in advance..

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 22, 2011 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Each vehicle experiences a force equal to hitting a non-elastic wall at 65 mph. The reason is that, even though the total force for the collision is 130 MPH, it is spread over the 2 vehicles.

4. Aug 22, 2011 #3

A.T.

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Force is not measured in MPH. Force is also not "spread" (maybe you mean energy).

The reason for "same forces" is simple: same (de)acceleration.

5. Aug 22, 2011 #4
    I had a conversation with a dolt that attempted to tell me that the mirror image crash caused 130mph worth of damage to both vehicles.

And yes I know the language is not precise.

Feel free to correct me, I would like to know the correct terms. I golf with a physics prof on occasion.

6. Aug 22, 2011 #5

Drakkith

Yes. That is what I meant.

7. Aug 22, 2011 #6

Drakkith

Also, there was a mythbusters episode that tested this. The result was that the collision is equal to each vehicle hitting a wall at the speed they were going.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook