Heat and max temperature Problem

In summary, the answer is that at today's maximum temperature and tomorrow's maximum temperature, tomorrow will be twice as hot as today.
someone1029
[SOLVED] Heat Problem

The question is:

If today's maximum temperature was 14°C and tomorrow's maximum is expected to be 28°C, will tomorrow be twice as hot as today. Explain your answer.

The only equations known are Q=mcΔT, and Q=ml
Where Q= energy in joules. m=mass in kg, c= specific heat capacity [to 3 decimal places], ΔT= the change in temperature in either kelvin or Celsius, l= latent heat [also to 3 decimal places]

However I am not limited to these equations, just expected to use them. Use of other equations is fine, so long as they are within reason.

My train of thought was that, I need to find out and compare how many watts of heat will be absorbed by an identical body of mass over the same period of time at the two different temperatures, i just don't know how. I also think that this is one of those questions designed to trick, or at least make you really think. So I think that the short answer to the question is no, I just can't prove this right or wrong.

I have tried taking a theoretical 1kg aluminium block and putting them into each of the temperatures resulting in these equations:

8.90e+3*14=124600
8.90e+3*28=249200
as 249200 is 2*124600 then it is twice as hot

However I do not think this is right as these values are the amount of energy required to make this temperature change. Am I on the right track, or am I nowhere near the answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this: is zero degress C the bottom of the celsius temperature scale?

No it isn't, -273°c is. Can you please explain the relevance of this though? I just chose 0°c as a point from which the blocks would get heated. If you convert the temperatures to kelvin you get exactly the same results.

14[tex]\circ[/tex]C is 14 + 273 = 287 degrees above absolute zero. 28[tex]\circ[/tex]C is 28 + 273 = 301 degrees above absolute zero.

Now [tex]\frac{301}{287}[/tex] = about 1.05, and so 28[tex]\circ[/tex]C is about 5% hotter than 14[tex]\circ[/tex], not twice at hot.

A temperature of 2(287) - 273 = 301[tex]\circ[/tex]C is twice as hot as 14[tex]\circ[/tex]C.

The celsius scale is not an absolute T scale. The kelvin scale is. 0K is absobute zero and so, for example, 300K is twice as hot as 150K.

Ok, I was just trying to over complicate things, as usual. Now that I look back at the problem I see how simple it is. Thanks for your help, no doubt I will call on it again some time in the future.

What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat refers to the transfer of energy from a warmer object to a cooler object. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In simpler terms, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is a measure of the intensity of the heat.

Why does temperature increase when heat is added?

When heat is added to a substance, the energy of the particles in that substance increases, causing them to move faster and collide more frequently. This increased movement and collisions result in an increase in temperature.

What factors affect the maximum temperature that can be reached?

The maximum temperature that can be reached depends on the heat capacity of the substance, the amount of heat added, and the external conditions such as pressure and surrounding temperature.

How can we measure the maximum temperature of a substance?

The maximum temperature of a substance can be measured using a thermometer. The thermometer measures the average kinetic energy of the particles in the substance, which is directly related to the temperature.

What are some practical applications of understanding heat and maximum temperature?

Understanding heat and maximum temperature is crucial in various fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and environmental sciences. It helps in designing efficient heating and cooling systems, determining the stability of chemical reactions, and predicting the effects of climate change on our planet.