1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Equation with insulated endpoints.

1. Oct 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Assume that a bar is insulated at the endpoints. If it loses heat through its lateral surface at a rate per unit length proportional to the difference u(x,t) - T, where T is the temperature of the medium surrounding the bar, the equation of heat propagation is now

[tex]u_{t} = k u_{xx} - h (u-T)[/tex]

where h > 0
    2. Relevant equations
    Use the function

[tex] v = e^{ht}(u-t) [/tex]

to reduce this BVP to one already solved.

3. The attempt at a solution

"To one already solved" is referring to heat equation variants in which the PDE is of form

[tex]u_{t} = k u_{xx} [/tex]

I can solve it from that form, I just need to convert into something of that form.

Some things I noticed, partial derivative of v with respect to t, and equated to the second partial derivative with respect to x yields u_t = u_xx - h(u-t)
    This is off by the constant k which is in front of the u_xx in the original PDE. Not sure what I'm missing from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Kizaru! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 tags just above the Reply box :wink:)
    Yes, you have the correct basic technique, I can't see quite how you haven't got there. :confused:

If v = eht(u - t),

then vt = … and kvxx = … ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook