Heat Flow across cylindrical surface

In summary, the rate of heat flow inward across the cylindrical surface y^2+z^2=6, 0≤x≤4 is 1248π. This can be found using the divergence theorem and the formula for the volume of a cylinder.
jerzey101

Homework Statement

The temperatur at the point (x,y,z) in a substance with conductivity K=6.5 is u(x,y,z)=2y2+2z2. Find the rate of heat flow inward across the cylindrical surface y2+z2=6, 0≤x≤4.

Homework Equations

F=-k∇u
-k∫∫s∇u*ds

The Attempt at a Solution

So F=-6.5(0,4y,4z)
I get lost with how to find n because it is not in the usual cylindrical form x2+y2=6. Please give me some guidance. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Plot [itex]y^2+z^2=6,\, 0≤x≤4[/itex]. It is a cylinder with center origin, radius=√6 and height=4, from plane x=0 to plane x=4. It's faster and easier if you use Gauss Divergence Theorem in this case, as using the sum of (3) surface integrals will require some work.

Since [itex]\vec F=-k(∇u)[/itex], [itex]\vec F= -26y\hat j -26z\hat k[/itex].

Last edited:
Thank you sharks. I really appreciate it.
∫∫∫52r drdθdz = 1248∏ which is the correct answer.

How do you know right off the bat to use the divergence theorem? Just from practice?

jerzey101 said:
Thank you sharks. I really appreciate it.
∫∫∫52r drdθdz = 1248∏ which is the correct answer.

How do you know right off the bat to use the divergence theorem? Just from practice?

Since your formula for [itex]\vec F[/itex] involves -k, your answer should be negative. Unless you mistyped your relevant equation for [itex]\vec F[/itex]?

The divergence theorem is just a 'shortcut' to evaluate the flux through a smooth completely enclosed surface. You don't have to evaluate the triple integral using cylindrical coordinates. Just use the formula for finding the volume of a cylinder: [itex]\pi r^2h[/itex], where [itex]r=\sqrt6[/itex] and h=4.

my answer should be negative, i just forgot to type the -. I see about just using the volume formulas. I'm just studying for my calc class so I wanted to learn the integral way because that's what I will have to do on the exam. Thanks again.

Actually, the answer is positive, since the heat flow is defined by the vector field F=-K∇u=-6.5<0,4y,4z>, and we want to find the rate of heat flow inward. The divergence is divF=-6.5(8). The volume of the cylinder is [itex]π(\sqrt{6})^{2}4=24π[/itex]. So the INWARD flux through the cylinder with closed tops is [itex]-[-6.5(8)(24π)]=1248π[/itex]. Then you'd have to show that the rate of heat flow through the tops of the cylinder is zero, which is easy since the x-component of F is zero.

Last edited:

1. What is heat flow?

Heat flow is the transfer of thermal energy from a region of higher temperature to a region of lower temperature. It is a natural process that occurs in order to reach thermal equilibrium.

2. How does heat flow across a cylindrical surface?

Heat flow across a cylindrical surface occurs through conduction, where thermal energy is transferred from the inner surface to the outer surface of the cylinder. This process is governed by the thermal conductivity of the material and the temperature difference between the two surfaces.

3. What factors affect heat flow across a cylindrical surface?

The factors that affect heat flow across a cylindrical surface include the thermal conductivity of the material, the temperature difference between the two surfaces, the thickness of the cylinder, and the surface area of the cylinder.

4. How is heat flow calculated for a cylindrical surface?

The heat flow across a cylindrical surface can be calculated using the formula Q = (2πkΔT)/ln(r2/r1), where Q is the heat flow, k is the thermal conductivity, ΔT is the temperature difference, r2 is the outer radius and r1 is the inner radius of the cylinder.

5. What is the practical application of understanding heat flow across a cylindrical surface?

Understanding heat flow across a cylindrical surface is important in many industrial processes, such as in the design and operation of heat exchangers, boilers, and pipes. It also has implications in materials science, as it helps determine the efficiency and performance of different materials in conducting heat.