1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Simple Surface Integral - Heat Flow on Surface of Star

1. Feb 9, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have this problem in an online assignment. Someone told me the answer, so I already got it right, but I don't know why my logic leads me to the wrong answer. The problem:
    The temperature [itex]u[/itex] of a star of conductivity 1 is defined by [itex] u = \frac{1}{sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)}[/itex]. If the star is a sphere of radius 5, find the rate of heat flow outward across the surface of the star.

2. Relevant equations
    Surface integral: [itex]\int \int_S f(x,y,z) * dS [/itex]
    Surface area of sphere = [itex] 4\pi r^2[/itex]
    The correct answer is [itex]4\pi[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried this two ways and got the same answer both ways, unfortunately this answer isn't correct.
    First method was flat out doing the integral. Firstly, it is clear that [itex] u = \frac{1}{| \vec{r} |}[/itex]. However, the radius on the surface of the sphere is always 5, so [itex] u = \frac{1}{5} [/itex]. If we use the parametrization [tex] \vec{r} = (\rho \cos(\theta)\sin(\phi), \rho \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi), \rho \cos(\phi))[/tex] And dS is [itex]\rho^2 \sin(\phi) d\phi d\theta[/itex]. Once again, [itex] \rho = 5 [/itex] for every point on the surface of the star. Now we can fill out the surface integral:
    [tex] \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{5} * 25\sin(\phi)d\theta d\phi \\
    = 5 \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \sin(\phi) d\theta d\phi \\
    = 10\pi \int_0^{\pi} \sin(\phi) d\phi \\
    = 10\pi (-\cos(\phi))|_0^{\pi} = 20\pi [/tex]
    I knew that wasn't correct, so I thought of an alternative: At each point on the surface, the value of the function is just [itex] \frac{1}{r} = \frac{1}{5} [/itex]. So shouldn't the surface integral evaluate to the surface area of the sphere multiplied by the function u, and thus [itex] \frac{4\pi 5^2}{5} = 20\pi [/itex]?
    It seems like the value doesn't depend on the radius.
    Can someone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your ##u = u(x,y,z)## is the temperature at the point ##(x,y,z)## in the star. How is the rate of heat flow across the star's surface related to the function ##u##? In other words, how is your function ##f(x,y,z)## obtained from the function ##u(x,y,z)##?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  4. Feb 10, 2016 #3

Zondrina

Homework Helper

In general:

$$\iint_S f(x, y, z) \space dS = \iint_D f(\vec r(u, v)) |\vec r_u \times \vec r_v| \space dA$$

For this particular problem we can adapt the notation:

$$\iint_S u(x, y, z) \space dS = \iint_D u(\vec r(\theta, \phi)) |\vec r_{\theta} \times \vec r_{\phi}| \space dA$$

You need to find a suitable ##\vec r(\theta, \phi)##, and project the sphere onto the x-y plane to obtain the region ##D##. Take ##\rho = 5## for the parameterization.

5. Feb 10, 2016 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Do we know that ##f = u##? I asked the OP that, but have received no response.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted