Simple Surface Integral - Heat Flow on Surface of Star

In summary, the problem is that the function ##f## is not the same as the temperature function ##u##.
wadawalnut

Homework Statement

I have this problem in an online assignment. Someone told me the answer, so I already got it right, but I don't know why my logic leads me to the wrong answer. The problem:
The temperature [itex]u[/itex] of a star of conductivity 1 is defined by [itex] u = \frac{1}{sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)}[/itex]. If the star is a sphere of radius 5, find the rate of heat flow outward across the surface of the star.

Homework Equations

Surface integral: [itex]\int \int_S f(x,y,z) * dS [/itex]
Surface area of sphere = [itex] 4\pi r^2[/itex]
The correct answer is [itex]4\pi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this two ways and got the same answer both ways, unfortunately this answer isn't correct.
First method was flat out doing the integral. Firstly, it is clear that [itex] u = \frac{1}{| \vec{r} |}[/itex]. However, the radius on the surface of the sphere is always 5, so [itex] u = \frac{1}{5} [/itex]. If we use the parametrization [tex] \vec{r} = (\rho \cos(\theta)\sin(\phi), \rho \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi), \rho \cos(\phi))[/tex] And dS is [itex]\rho^2 \sin(\phi) d\phi d\theta[/itex]. Once again, [itex] \rho = 5 [/itex] for every point on the surface of the star. Now we can fill out the surface integral:
[tex] \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{5} * 25\sin(\phi)d\theta d\phi \\
= 5 \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \sin(\phi) d\theta d\phi \\
= 10\pi \int_0^{\pi} \sin(\phi) d\phi \\
= 10\pi (-\cos(\phi))|_0^{\pi} = 20\pi [/tex]
I knew that wasn't correct, so I thought of an alternative: At each point on the surface, the value of the function is just [itex] \frac{1}{r} = \frac{1}{5} [/itex]. So shouldn't the surface integral evaluate to the surface area of the sphere multiplied by the function u, and thus [itex] \frac{4\pi 5^2}{5} = 20\pi [/itex]?
It seems like the value doesn't depend on the radius.
Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
wadawalnut said:

Homework Statement

I have this problem in an online assignment. Someone told me the answer, so I already got it right, but I don't know why my logic leads me to the wrong answer. The problem:
The temperature [itex]u[/itex] of a star of conductivity 1 is defined by [itex] u = \frac{1}{sqrt(x^2+y^2+z^2)}[/itex]. If the star is a sphere of radius 5, find the rate of heat flow outward across the surface of the star.

Homework Equations

Surface integral: [itex]\int \int_S f(x,y,z) * dS [/itex]
Surface area of sphere = [itex] 4\pi r^2[/itex]
The correct answer is [itex]4\pi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried this two ways and got the same answer both ways, unfortunately this answer isn't correct.
First method was flat out doing the integral. Firstly, it is clear that [itex] u = \frac{1}{| \vec{r} |}[/itex]. However, the radius on the surface of the sphere is always 5, so [itex] u = \frac{1}{5} [/itex]. If we use the parametrization [tex] \vec{r} = (\rho \cos(\theta)\sin(\phi), \rho \sin(\theta) \sin(\phi), \rho \cos(\phi))[/tex] And dS is [itex]\rho^2 \sin(\phi) d\phi d\theta[/itex]. Once again, [itex] \rho = 5 [/itex] for every point on the surface of the star. Now we can fill out the surface integral:
[tex] \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{1}{5} * 25\sin(\phi)d\theta d\phi \\
= 5 \int_0^{\pi} \int_0^{2\pi} \sin(\phi) d\theta d\phi \\
= 10\pi \int_0^{\pi} \sin(\phi) d\phi \\
= 10\pi (-\cos(\phi))|_0^{\pi} = 20\pi [/tex]
I knew that wasn't correct, so I thought of an alternative: At each point on the surface, the value of the function is just [itex] \frac{1}{r} = \frac{1}{5} [/itex]. So shouldn't the surface integral evaluate to the surface area of the sphere multiplied by the function u, and thus [itex] \frac{4\pi 5^2}{5} = 20\pi [/itex]?
It seems like the value doesn't depend on the radius.
Can someone explain this to me?

Your ##u = u(x,y,z)## is the temperature at the point ##(x,y,z)## in the star. How is the rate of heat flow across the star's surface related to the function ##u##? In other words, how is your function ##f(x,y,z)## obtained from the function ##u(x,y,z)##?

Last edited:
In general:

$$\iint_S f(x, y, z) \space dS = \iint_D f(\vec r(u, v)) |\vec r_u \times \vec r_v| \space dA$$

For this particular problem we can adapt the notation:

$$\iint_S u(x, y, z) \space dS = \iint_D u(\vec r(\theta, \phi)) |\vec r_{\theta} \times \vec r_{\phi}| \space dA$$

You need to find a suitable ##\vec r(\theta, \phi)##, and project the sphere onto the x-y plane to obtain the region ##D##. Take ##\rho = 5## for the parameterization.

Zondrina said:
In general:

$$\iint_S f(x, y, z) \space dS = \iint_D f(\vec r(u, v)) |\vec r_u \times \vec r_v| \space dA$$

For this particular problem we can adapt the notation:

$$\iint_S u(x, y, z) \space dS = \iint_D u(\vec r(\theta, \phi)) |\vec r_{\theta} \times \vec r_{\phi}| \space dA$$

You need to find a suitable ##\vec r(\theta, \phi)##, and project the sphere onto the x-y plane to obtain the region ##D##. Take ##\rho = 5## for the parameterization.

Do we know that ##f = u##? I asked the OP that, but have received no response.

1. What is a simple surface integral?

A simple surface integral is a mathematical concept used in physics and engineering to calculate the flow of a physical quantity, such as heat, over a surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface to find the total amount of the quantity passing through the surface.

2. How is a simple surface integral used to study heat flow on the surface of a star?

A simple surface integral can be used to calculate the amount of heat flowing through the surface of a star. It takes into account factors such as the temperature gradient and the thermal conductivity of the star's surface to determine the rate of heat transfer.

3. What factors affect the heat flow on the surface of a star?

The heat flow on the surface of a star is affected by several factors, including the temperature gradient, the thermal conductivity of the star's surface, and the presence of any external sources of heat, such as radiation from nearby stars or internal processes within the star itself.

4. How is a simple surface integral different from a regular surface integral?

A simple surface integral is a simplified version of a regular surface integral, which takes into account only the flux of a physical quantity over a surface, without considering the direction of the flow. In contrast, a regular surface integral also takes into account the direction of the flow, making it a more complex mathematical operation.

5. What are some real-world applications of simple surface integrals for heat flow?

Simple surface integrals are commonly used in the fields of astrophysics, meteorology, and engineering to study heat flow on the surface of stars, planets, and other objects. They are also used in the design of heating and cooling systems for buildings and other structures, as well as in the study of heat transfer in industrial processes.