1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer - Conduction/Convection Question - Which area?

1. Apr 4, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Q2.jpg
    Q2a.jpg
    Its been assumed that the surfaces TL and TR of the same constant temperature.

2. Relevant equations
    Tmax = TL/R + (qdoto*L2)/(8*k)

q = ΔT/R

Rconvection = 1/hA

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem I am having with this question is conceptualising which dimensions to use (I have no solutions to this question but I am trying to see what is realistic or not).

For part a, I have done the following:
    Assuming - L = 0.01m, h = 0.25m and w (depth into page) = unit length of 1.

TL/R = Tsurface = 200°C - ((0.8*106)*(0.01)2)/(8*1) = 190°C

From a thermal network, I know that the temperature difference between the plate and the convective fluid is:
    ΔT = Tsurface - Tfluid = 190°C - 90°C = 100°C

Here is my problem, assuming that my associations for the geometry are correct, the convective area (for the thermal resistance equation) should be:
    A = p*L + 2*(h*w), where p = perimeter.
    Hence, A = 2*(0.25 + 1)*0.01 +2*(0.025*1) = 0.525 m2

And the heat generated, q = V*qdoto = (0.01*0.25*1)*(0.8*106) = 2,000 W

Hence, from the thermal resistance equation qo = ΔT/R = ΔT/(1/hA) ⇒ h = qo / (ΔT*A). h = (2000)/(100*0.525) = 38.1 W/m2K

This seems reasonable for a fluid such as oil, but begs the question whether assuming a unit length into the page is the correct thing to do in this case (where only two dimensions are given)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2017 #2
    You were expected to neglect the heat transfer around the perimeter of the element, and include only the heat transfer on the larger faces. Certainly, your first relevant equation does this. Then the length in question would cancel.

4. Apr 4, 2017 #3
    Hi Chester, thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that the heat transfer area should only be the two faces that are perpendicular to the heat conduction in Figure a, i.e. what were used to derive the Tmax equation, and not the entire surface area of the box? I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

5. Apr 4, 2017 #4
    Yes. That's exactly what I mean.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted