Heat Transfer - Conduction/Convection Question - Which area?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of assuming constant temperature surfaces and the use of thermal resistance equations in solving a problem. The student presents their attempt at a solution and seeks clarification on the correct dimensions to use. The responder suggests neglecting heat transfer around the perimeter and only including heat transfer on the larger faces. The student asks for clarification on this suggestion.
Sirsh

Homework Statement

Q2.jpg

Q2a.jpg

Its been assumed that the surfaces TL and TR of the same constant temperature.

Homework Equations

Tmax = TL/R + (qdoto*L2)/(8*k)

q = ΔT/R

Rconvection = 1/hA

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem I am having with this question is conceptualising which dimensions to use (I have no solutions to this question but I am trying to see what is realistic or not).

For part a, I have done the following:
Assuming - L = 0.01m, h = 0.25m and w (depth into page) = unit length of 1.

TL/R = Tsurface = 200°C - ((0.8*106)*(0.01)2)/(8*1) = 190°C

From a thermal network, I know that the temperature difference between the plate and the convective fluid is:
ΔT = Tsurface - Tfluid = 190°C - 90°C = 100°C

Here is my problem, assuming that my associations for the geometry are correct, the convective area (for the thermal resistance equation) should be:
A = p*L + 2*(h*w), where p = perimeter.
Hence, A = 2*(0.25 + 1)*0.01 +2*(0.025*1) = 0.525 m2

And the heat generated, q = V*qdoto = (0.01*0.25*1)*(0.8*106) = 2,000 W

Hence, from the thermal resistance equation qo = ΔT/R = ΔT/(1/hA) ⇒ h = qo / (ΔT*A). h = (2000)/(100*0.525) = 38.1 W/m2K

This seems reasonable for a fluid such as oil, but begs the question whether assuming a unit length into the page is the correct thing to do in this case (where only two dimensions are given)?

Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You were expected to neglect the heat transfer around the perimeter of the element, and include only the heat transfer on the larger faces. Certainly, your first relevant equation does this. Then the length in question would cancel.

Chestermiller said:
You were expected to neglect the heat transfer around the perimeter of the element, and include only the heat transfer on the larger faces. Certainly, your first relevant equation does this. Then the length in question would cancel.
Hi Chester, thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that the heat transfer area should only be the two faces that are perpendicular to the heat conduction in Figure a, i.e. what were used to derive the Tmax equation, and not the entire surface area of the box? I'm not sure I follow what you mean.

Sirsh said:
Hi Chester, thanks for your reply.

Do you mean that the heat transfer area should only be the two faces that are perpendicular to the heat conduction in Figure a, i.e. what were used to derive the Tmax equation, and not the entire surface area of the box? I'm not sure I follow what you mean.
Yes. That's exactly what I mean.

1. What is the difference between conduction and convection?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects or substances, while convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water.

2. How does conduction and convection affect temperature in a room?

In a room, conduction occurs when heat is transferred from the floor to your feet as you walk on it, while convection occurs when the warm air rises and cooler air sinks. This creates a cycle of heat transfer, resulting in an overall increase in temperature in the room.

3. How does the surface area of an object affect conduction and convection?

The larger the surface area of an object, the more heat it can transfer through conduction. This is because a larger surface area allows for more contact points and therefore more heat transfer. In terms of convection, a larger surface area also allows for more movement of fluid, resulting in a more efficient transfer of heat.

4. Can conduction and convection occur at the same time?

Yes, conduction and convection can occur simultaneously. For example, when cooking on a stove, heat is transferred through conduction from the pan to the food, while convection occurs as the hot air rises and circulates around the food.

5. How do materials affect the rate of conduction and convection?

Materials with high thermal conductivity, such as metals, are good conductors of heat and therefore transfer heat quickly through conduction. In terms of convection, materials with a lower density and higher temperature difference between the surface and surrounding fluid will have a higher convective heat transfer rate.