Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat transfer rate to heating time

1. Aug 6, 2008 #1
    i have set up an equation to get the heat transfer rate Q for a combined system where heat is transfered from a cylindrical outer wall set at 500 C. the wall heats a gas, which in turn heats a solid block of cylindrical metal positioned in the centre of the heated walls with a starting temperature of 20 C.

the equation i have is

Q=[1]\frac{}{}[/(A0/(h*Alm1))+((r*A0)/(k*A2))+(A0/(h*Alm3))+((r*A0)/(k*A4))+(A0/(h*Alm5))]*A0*[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

and it give a result of 11.3213 Watts or the situation above.

but too me this seems small?? am i right in thinking this?

also can anyone tell me how i can relate this heat transfer to time. ie. know how long it would take to heat the central metal part.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2008 #2
    could you fix the latex?

4. Aug 11, 2008 #3
    i could not get the equation editor to work properly (probaly the user to be fair) but i am included a hand written version as an attachment. i have managed to modifie it a bit which is giving me more sensible answers. But to get a value for time (in seconds#) i am using the below equation to get a value for q in joulse and then dividing q by Q.

q=cm[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

c = specific heat of the gas
    m = mass of gas
    delta T = the change in temperature

Thanks

Attached Files:

5. Oct 17, 2008 #4
    Hi, can you send me eveything about this equation including details the of model, description of the variable and sketch, I will look into this.....
    My email address is riscy00@googlemail.com

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?