Figuring Out Time Required to Heat a Mass at Differing Temperatures

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of convection and Newton's law of cooling to determine the time it takes for a spherical mass with certain properties to reach a certain temperature. The first experiment had a constant ambient temperature of 60ºC and the second experiment had an ambient temperature of 100ºC. The question was how to calculate the time it takes for the mass to reach 50ºC in the second experiment. The suggestion was to use Newton's law of cooling and any necessary chemical or physical properties of the mass.
Fancy Moses
I have a fairly basic (I hope) question:

Given:

I'm heating, via convection, a constant sized spherical mass (Let's say m=1g) with a consistent surface area (Let's say SA = 1cm^2) at a constant temperature, Tc, (Let's say Tc = 60ºC) for a time, t = 60 minutes. Let us assume that the mass has an initial temperature (Ti) of 20ºC and after 60 minutes the temperature (Tf) of the mass will equal 50ºC. In a similar scenario (m=1g, SA=1cm^2, Ti=20ºC) how long will it take the mass to equal 50ºC if the new constant ambient temperature equals 100ºC?

Experiment 1:

m = 1g
SA = 1cm^2
Ti = 20ºC
Tc = 60ºC
Tf = 50ºC
t = 60 min

Experiment 2:

m = 1g
SA = 1cm^2
Ti = 20ºC
Tc = 100ºC
Tf = 50ºC
t = ?? min

How would I figure this out? Assuming any necessary chemical or physical properties can be found for the mass.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Science news on Phys.org
Please do not post homework questions on this forum, as this forum is for the discusion of physics. Thank you.

This is not a homework question at all - it is a small part of a larger issue I am having testing different products in an environmental chamber. Please forgive me for formatting the question in a "homework-fashion". I thought it would be much easier to understand this way. I really hope this wasn't the reason for all the lack of responses...

I would approach this question by using the principles of thermodynamics and heat transfer. The rate at which the temperature of an object changes is determined by the heat transfer equation, which takes into account the mass, surface area, and temperature difference between the object and its surroundings. In this case, the only variable that changes between Experiment 1 and Experiment 2 is the ambient temperature (Tc), so we can use the following equation:

Q = mCΔT

Where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, C is the specific heat capacity of the object, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

In Experiment 1, the heat transferred to the object can be calculated as:

Q = (1g)(1cm^2)(50ºC - 20ºC) = 30 calories

Using the specific heat capacity of water (since the mass is 1g and the object is assumed to have similar properties to water), we can calculate the time it takes for the object to reach 50ºC:

30 calories = (1g)(1 cal/gºC)(50ºC - 20ºC)t

t = 30 minutes

In Experiment 2, the heat transferred to the object will be the same (since the mass and surface area are constant), but the temperature difference will be greater (50ºC - 100ºC). Therefore, the time required for the object to reach 50ºC will be longer. Using the same equation as above, we can calculate the time as:

30 calories = (1g)(1 cal/gºC)(50ºC - 100ºC)t

t = 60 minutes

In conclusion, it will take 60 minutes for the object to reach 50ºC in Experiment 2, compared to 30 minutes in Experiment 1, due to the higher ambient temperature. Of course, this is a simplified scenario and in reality, there may be other factors at play, such as the efficiency of the heating source and any heat loss from the object. But this approach gives us a rough estimate of the time required in each experiment.

1. How do you calculate the time required to heat a mass at differing temperatures?

To calculate the time required to heat a mass at differing temperatures, you will need to use the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat energy required, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity of the material, and ΔT is the change in temperature. Once you have calculated Q, you can divide it by the power of the heating source to determine the time required.

2. What factors affect the time required to heat a mass at differing temperatures?

There are several factors that can affect the time required to heat a mass at differing temperatures, including the mass of the object, the specific heat capacity of the material, the power of the heating source, and the initial and desired temperatures. Other factors such as insulation, air flow, and heat loss can also affect the heating time.

3. How does the specific heat capacity of a material affect the time required to heat a mass?

The specific heat capacity of a material is a measure of how much heat energy is required to raise the temperature of 1 gram of the material by 1 degree Celsius. Materials with higher specific heat capacities will require more heat energy and therefore more time to heat up compared to materials with lower specific heat capacities.

4. Can the time required to heat a mass at differing temperatures be shortened?

Yes, the time required to heat a mass can be shortened by increasing the power of the heating source, using materials with lower specific heat capacities, and reducing heat loss through better insulation or controlling air flow. However, it is important to consider safety precautions and not exceed the recommended heating times for certain materials.

5. How accurate are the calculations for determining the time required to heat a mass at differing temperatures?

The accuracy of the calculations for determining the time required to heat a mass at differing temperatures will depend on the accuracy of the input values and the assumptions made in the calculation. It is important to use accurate measurements and consider external factors that may affect the heating time. In some cases, experimental data may need to be used to get a more precise estimation.