Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer

1. Jun 30, 2010 #1
    I have a fairly basic (I hope) question:

Given:

I'm heating, via convection, a constant sized spherical mass (Let's say m=1g) with a consistent surface area (Let's say SA = 1cm^2) at a constant temperature, Tc, (Let's say Tc = 60ºC) for a time, t = 60 minutes. Let us assume that the mass has an initial temperature (Ti) of 20ºC and after 60 minutes the temperature (Tf) of the mass will equal 50ºC. In a similar scenario (m=1g, SA=1cm^2, Ti=20ºC) how long will it take the mass to equal 50ºC if the new constant ambient temperature equals 100ºC?

Experiment 1:

m = 1g
    SA = 1cm^2
    Ti = 20ºC
    Tc = 60ºC
    Tf = 50ºC
    t = 60 min

Experiment 2:

m = 1g
    SA = 1cm^2
    Ti = 20ºC
    Tc = 100ºC
    Tf = 50ºC
    t = ?? min

How would I figure this out? Assuming any necessary chemical or physical properties can be found for the mass.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 1, 2010 #2
  4. Jul 1, 2010 #3
    Please do not post homework questions on this forum, as this forum is for the discusion of physics. Thank you.

5. Jul 6, 2010 #4
    This is not a homework question at all - it is a small part of a larger issue I am having testing different products in an environmental chamber. Please forgive me for formatting the question in a "homework-fashion". I thought it would be much easier to understand this way. I really hope this wasn't the reason for all the lack of responses...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook