Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat treatment of austenitic stainless steels

1. Mar 23, 2012 #1
    I can't seem to find anything about the heat treatment specific to austenitic stainless steels.
    (e.g. SS 304, SS 316L) The info I need is pretty much everything that has to do w/ the heat treatment of stainless steels (benefits, procedure/process, equipment ...)

The only thing I have found that might be relevent is
    ASM Handbook Vol 4

As I do not have access to this
    (could request purchase but must be sure that it provides the info I need)

I am wondering what kind of info is provided in the ASM handbook?
    Also, are there any other sources in which I could find the info I need?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2012 #2

Q_Goest

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The austenetic stainless steels can not be heat treated, they can only be cold worked to increase strength. There are also many different kinds of surface coatings that can be done to them that will increase surface hardness or add lubricity but they don't typically penetrate the surface by more than a few thousandths of an inch.

There are stainless steels that can be heat treated such as the precipitation hardened and martensitic stainless steels.

Regarding ASM Handbook Vol. 4, you can take a quick look through the table of contents here:
    http://www.knovel.com/web/portal/basic_search/display?_EXT_KNOVEL_DISPLAY_bookid=3108
    Do you have any specific questions about it?

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    The only working HT for austenitic SS i know is for the prevention of intergranular corrosion. Try looking for that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook