Heat treatment of austenitic stainless steels

  • Thread starter Thread starter fpdlskf
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Heat Treatment
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
fpdlskf
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I can't seem to find anything about the heat treatment specific to austenitic stainless steels.
(e.g. SS 304, SS 316L) The info I need is pretty much everything that has to do w/ the heat treatment of stainless steels (benefits, procedure/process, equipment ...)

The only thing I have found that might be relevant is
ASM Handbook Vol 4

As I do not have access to this
(could request purchase but must be sure that it provides the info I need)

I am wondering what kind of info is provided in the ASM handbook?
Also, are there any other sources in which I could find the info I need?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
The austenetic stainless steels can not be heat treated, they can only be cold worked to increase strength. There are also many different kinds of surface coatings that can be done to them that will increase surface hardness or add lubricity but they don't typically penetrate the surface by more than a few thousandths of an inch.

There are stainless steels that can be heat treated such as the precipitation hardened and martensitic stainless steels.

Regarding ASM Handbook Vol. 4, you can take a quick look through the table of contents here:
http://www.knovel.com/web/portal/basic_search/display?_EXT_KNOVEL_DISPLAY_bookid=3108
Do you have any specific questions about it?
 
The only working HT for austenitic SS i know is for the prevention of intergranular corrosion. Try looking for that.