1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heated square rod

1. Feb 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A long squared rod with sides ##l##, thermal conductivity ##\lambda ##, specific heat ##c_p## and density ##\rho ## is cooled with water with constant temperature. Inside our squared rod we have a long square heater with sides ##l/2## and is completely centered inside the rod. Heat sources per unit volume in this is equal to ##q [W/m^3]##. (When calculating the temperature, you can use only the biggest three terms of the sum)
    What is the maximum possible temperature of the surrounding water , before the heater starts to melt down? Melting temperature is ##T_c##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I am really not sure this is correct, but at least it is something:
    So we have two squares, one with sides ##l## and the other one centered in the first one with sides ##l/2##. I have put the origin of my coordinate system in the left bottom corner of the bigger square. This may not be a really good idea but there is a good reason why I chose this option.

And the reason is, that if the origin is there, than the function that solves ##\nabla ^2T(x,y)=0## is $$T(x,y)=\sum_{n,m}A_{n,m}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$ Of course the equation I am solving is not ##\nabla ^2T=0## instead I have to consider the heater! Therefore ##\nabla ^2 T(x,y)=-\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}##.

Meaning I should write ##\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}## in terms of this sum ##T(x,y)=\sum_{n,m}C_{n,m}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)##, so let's do that: $$\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}\int_{l/4}^{3l/4}\int _{l/4}^{3l/4}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)dxdy=C_{n,m}(\frac l 2)^2$$ Which brings me to $$C=\frac{8q}{\rho c_p D\pi ^2}\frac{1}{mn}$$ but only for (both) odd ##m## and ##n##.
    So finally $$\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}=\sum_{m,n}\frac{8q}{\rho c_p D\pi ^2}\frac{1}{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$

Now I can start solving ##\nabla ^2 T(x,y)=-\frac{q}{\rho c_p D}## $$\sum _{m,n}A_{m,n}\frac{\pi ^2}{l^2}(m^2+n^2)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)=-\sum_{m,n}\frac{8q}{\rho c_p D\pi ^2}\frac{1}{mn}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$ Which brings me to
    $$A_{m,n}=\frac{8qL^2}{\rho c_pD\pi^4}\frac{1}{mn(m^2+n^2)}$$ Therefore the solution should be $$ T(x,y)=\sum_{\text{odd} m,n}\frac{8qL^2}{\rho c_pD\pi^4}\frac{1}{mn(m^2+n^2)}sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}x)sin(\frac{n\pi}{l}y)$$

Now to calculate the temperature I think I should do this, but I am really not so sure about this part: $$P=\lambda S\frac{\Delta T}{L/4}$$ where ##P=\int qdV## so $$\int qdV=\lambda S\frac{T_c-T_x}{L/4}$$ where I used notation ##T_x## for the temperature that I hope the problem is asking after...

Hmm. What do you think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2015 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is not a contribution, just some questions:
    I imagine the rod is solid and the inner rod, same material properties, is the heat source. I would expect from symmetry that it's enough to consider one eigth, e.g. (with the origin at the axis of the rod) from x-axis to the line y=x. x-axis points to the middle of a side, y=x to an edge.
    Is that the right idea ?

Heat is generated from x=0 to x=l/4 and the boundary conditions are: T gradient ##\perp## the lines mentioned and T = Twater at x =l/2 .
    Sound reasonable ?

4. Feb 13, 2015 #3
    I can't see any problems with it. By the way, that is an interesting idea.
    Sounds very reasonable! Hopefully I will have some time left to check if the results match with the original post.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted