Heating gasses in space -- How could we make a greenhouse in space?

jakehussey
TL;DR Summary
How could we make a greenhouse in space. Thought experiment!
I was thinking the other day about green houses and how they would act in space or on another planet without an atmosphere. I know that green houses work on Earth by stopping convection but could they theoretically trap heat in a non atmospheric environment? I am imagining a material that allows short wave radiation in and traps long wave from escaping. My assumption is that a gas would have to be used such as CO2 but how could I calculate actual heat generated and how much gas is required?

Answers and Replies

russ_watters
Mentor
Greenhouses also block some radiation - longer wavelength, and the emitted radiation is longer than the avsorbed. But what's the point of a greenhouse in a vacuum?

DaveC426913
Gold Member
I suppose we are being biocentric. There could be valid reasons for wanting to passively warm a volume that have nothing to do with living critters.

jakehussey
I suppose we are being biocentric. There could be valid reasons for wanting to passively warm a volume that have nothing to do with living critters.
Yes Dave. My initial thought was a passively warm volume in a simple structure on another planetary body for keeping equipment warm or heating substances.

DrClaude
Mentor
Why use a gas? Why not an actual greenhouse?

Likes SammyS and dlgoff
Arjan82
Well, I guess the Earth is a sort of greenhouse in the vacuum of space... 🙃

Suggested for: Heating gasses in space -- How could we make a greenhouse in space?

Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
  • Last Post
Replies