Heating gasses in space -- How could we make a greenhouse in space?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using greenhouses in non-atmospheric environments, such as in space or on other planets. The participants question the effectiveness of greenhouses in trapping heat and discuss potential uses for passively warming a volume in a simple structure. The use of gases and the comparison to Earth's atmosphere are also mentioned.
jakehussey
TL;DR Summary
How could we make a greenhouse in space. Thought experiment!
I was thinking the other day about green houses and how they would act in space or on another planet without an atmosphere. I know that green houses work on Earth by stopping convection but could they theoretically trap heat in a non atmospheric environment? I am imagining a material that allows short wave radiation in and traps long wave from escaping. My assumption is that a gas would have to be used such as CO2 but how could I calculate actual heat generated and how much gas is required?

Science news on Phys.org
Greenhouses also block some radiation - longer wavelength, and the emitted radiation is longer than the avsorbed. But what's the point of a greenhouse in a vacuum?

I suppose we are being biocentric. There could be valid reasons for wanting to passively warm a volume that have nothing to do with living critters.

DaveC426913 said:
I suppose we are being biocentric. There could be valid reasons for wanting to passively warm a volume that have nothing to do with living critters.
Yes Dave. My initial thought was a passively warm volume in a simple structure on another planetary body for keeping equipment warm or heating substances.

Why use a gas? Why not an actual greenhouse?

Likes SammyS and dlgoff
Well, I guess the Earth is a sort of greenhouse in the vacuum of space... 🙃

1. How do greenhouse gases work in space?

In space, greenhouse gases work by trapping heat from the sun's radiation, just like on Earth. However, in space, there is no atmosphere to hold in the heat, so it must be contained in a greenhouse structure.

2. What materials could be used to create a greenhouse in space?

Possible materials for a space greenhouse include glass, metal, and plastic. These materials would need to be strong enough to withstand the harsh conditions of space, such as extreme temperatures and radiation.

3. How would plants grow in a space greenhouse?

Plants would need a source of water, nutrients, and light to grow in a space greenhouse. This could be achieved through hydroponic systems, where plants are grown in a nutrient-rich solution, and artificial lighting could be used to mimic sunlight.

4. What challenges would need to be overcome to create a space greenhouse?

One major challenge would be maintaining a stable temperature in the greenhouse, as there is no natural insulation in space. Another challenge would be providing enough resources, such as water and nutrients, for the plants to grow in a closed system.

5. How could a space greenhouse benefit astronauts?

A space greenhouse could provide fresh food for astronauts on long space missions, reducing the need for constant resupply missions. It could also help improve the mental and physical well-being of astronauts, as having plants around has been shown to have a positive effect on mood and stress levels.