Heating gasses in space -- How could we make a greenhouse in space?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
5 replies · 2K views
jakehussey
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
TL;DR
How could we make a greenhouse in space. Thought experiment!
I was thinking the other day about green houses and how they would act in space or on another planet without an atmosphere. I know that green houses work on Earth by stopping convection but could they theoretically trap heat in a non atmospheric environment? I am imagining a material that allows short wave radiation in and traps long wave from escaping. My assumption is that a gas would have to be used such as CO2 but how could I calculate actual heat generated and how much gas is required?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose we are being biocentric. There could be valid reasons for wanting to passively warm a volume that have nothing to do with living critters.
 
DaveC426913 said:
I suppose we are being biocentric. There could be valid reasons for wanting to passively warm a volume that have nothing to do with living critters.
Yes Dave. My initial thought was a passively warm volume in a simple structure on another planetary body for keeping equipment warm or heating substances.
 
Well, I guess the Earth is a sort of greenhouse in the vacuum of space... 🙃