Height to time equation: water cylinder with pinhole

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
70 replies · 7K views
The one that we've been trying to figure out:
$$\dot{W} = \rho g C_D A \left(\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{t g C_D A}{A_x}\right)$$
When would I have to use this?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't that also have given -1.22 if I plug in 43.6 seconds or 48.02 seconds (I don't know which one to use, the average or the ##\Delta t##)?
 
Jonathan Densil said:
The one that we've been trying to figure out:
$$\dot{W} = \rho g C_D A \left(\sqrt{2gh_0}-\frac{t g C_D A}{A_x}\right)$$
When would I have to use this?
Now that you know the value of Cd, you can plot this equation up and see what you get. Plot a graph of this equation so that we can compare it with the Logger Pro graph for dW/dt.
 
Jonathan Densil said:
Shouldn't that also have given -1.22 if I plug in 43.6 seconds or 48.02 seconds (I don't know which one to use, the average or the ##\Delta t##)?
You calculate the derivative from the difference in the times, but you plot the derivative at the average of the times. It is just a coincidence that the difference and the average are about the same value for this particular case.
 
Last edited:
upload_2016-2-21_20-27-58.png


The weight flow rate against time. Sorry for the lack of labels, I did it in Mathematica and don't know how to add labels
 
Attachments
Jonathan Densil said:
View attachment 96264

The weight flow rate against time. Sorry for the lack of labels, I did it in Mathematica and don't know how to add labels
Excellent. This is almost the exact negative of dW/dt calculated by Logger Pro from the raw data.

So you can see that, once you have determined Cd, you don't need the data any more.
 
Last edited:
Thank you very, very much, I really appreciate your help. The equation works and very happy that I understand how I got it. I really am very thankful for your help. I struggled to make sense of it all for an entire week with my math and physics teachers at school. Thanks again,

Kind regards,
Jonathan
 
Hello Chestmiller,

I just have a quick question about uncertainties. I took the derivative of the weight to get weight flow rate. So, if I have the uncertainty for the weight, how do I find the uncertainty of the weight flow rate.
 
Jonathan Densil said:
Hello Chestmiller,

I just have a quick question about uncertainties. I took the derivative of the weight to get weight flow rate. So, if I have the uncertainty for the weight, how do I find the uncertainty of the weight flow rate.
I don't know how to do this. Maybe, if you submit it to the mathematics forums (specifying very precisely what is involved mathematically), you can get some help there. Mention that you have an analytic expression for the rate of weight loss vs time, and experimental data on weight as a function of time.
 
Do you know any good, trustworthy forums as this one?
 
My inclination would be Physics Forums, Science Education, Homework and Coursework Questions, Calculus and Beyond

You have an analytic expression for the derivative of a function based on a fit to experimental data on the function itself. You know the uncertainty of the fit to the experimental data, and you would like to determine the uncertainty in the corresponding analytic expression for the derivative.