Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg principle, little question

1. Sep 1, 2010 #1

fluidistic

Gold Member

[tex]\Delta x \Delta p \geq \frac{\hbar}{2}[/tex].
    Say I want to measure the best I can the position of an electron, in detriment of its momentum (i.e. velocity since I assume that I know its mass quite well).
    When [tex]\Delta x \to 0[/tex], [tex]\Delta p[/tex] should tend to [tex]+\infty[/tex] but there's the c limit so that I can't make [tex]\Delta x \to 0[/tex]. Unless I should consider the relativistic mass of the electron and not the rest mass in the [tex]\Delta p =mv[/tex] part of the inequality? So m would tend to [tex]+\infty[/tex] and I'm not really limited by a maximum limit of velocity and I can get a very precise measure for [tex]\Delta x[/tex].

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 1, 2010 #2
    [tex]\Delta p[/tex] is not a particle's momentum but it's uncertainty in its momentum and it can be huge.

4. Sep 1, 2010 #3

alxm

Science Advisor

You can't assert [tex]p=mv[/tex], which is the non-relativistic momentum, and then assert that [tex]v \leq c[/tex] (and hence [tex]p \leq mc[/tex]) because of relativity.

Relativistic momentum is [tex]p = \frac{m_0 v}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}}[/tex], so [tex]v \rightarrow c[/tex] as [tex]p \rightarrow \infty[/tex].

5. Sep 1, 2010 #4

fluidistic

Gold Member

I know.
    Ah ok. My m standed for the relativistic mass. That's what I meant in
    Though now I don't understand what I meant by "I'm not really limited by a maximum limit of velocity".
    Anyway I get the idea. And the [tex]\Delta p[/tex] is the relativistic momentum, which is what it seems I was doubting on.
    Thanks guys, question solved.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?