Heisenberg uncertainty principle (simple stuff)

In summary, the uncertainty principle states that energy conservation can appear to be violated for a short time interval as long as the product of the uncertain energy and time is greater than or equal to h/4pi. This is because taking more accurate measurements over a longer time will decrease the uncertainty in energy, while quick and inaccurate measurements may lead to a higher uncertainty and the appearance of energy violation.
Kenny Lee
I'm having a little trouble with my textbook's explanation. This is regarding the energy - time variation of the uncertainty principle; very basic stuff, so I hope helping me out won't take too much. Let me quote exactly:

"... the energy conservation can appear to be violated by an amount delta E, as long as it is only for a short time interval, delta t, consistent with the equation (delta E) * (delta t) >= (h / 4 pi )"

I understand what is being said - and it makes sense. Otherwise we'd all be noticing these 'violations' of energy conservation.
But I don't see how it is 'consistent' with the equation. Why must delta t be small? To me, it seems more 'consistent' with the equation that delta t is large, so that the equation becomes greater than h/4pi.

Someone please help clarify. And thanks for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
(deltaE)*(delta t) is always greater than " ". Think about it this way: If you take more measurements (greater accuracy-much data) over a longer time, say for a single body whose energy is conserved, then the uncertainty in energy tends toward zero. So, if you make a quick (inacurate-few data points) measurement the uncertainty in energy is high. This could lead you to believe that the energy was not conserved. Atleast, I think that was the point the book was trying to make.

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously know the exact position and momentum of a particle. This also applies to other pairs of complementary variables, such as energy and time. The equation (delta E) * (delta t) >= (h / 4 pi) represents the uncertainty in energy and time, where h is Planck's constant and 4 pi is a mathematical constant.

The reason why delta t must be small in this equation is because of the nature of quantum mechanics. In classical physics, we can measure the position and momentum of a particle with absolute precision, but in quantum mechanics, the act of measurement itself affects the state of the particle. This means that the more precisely we try to measure the energy of a particle, the less we know about its time evolution, and vice versa.

So, if we want to decrease the uncertainty in energy, we must decrease the uncertainty in time. This is why the equation requires delta t to be small. If delta t were large, it would mean that we have a very precise measurement of time, but a large uncertainty in energy, which goes against the principle.

In summary, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle tells us that there will always be a trade-off between the precision of our measurements of complementary variables. We cannot have both variables known with absolute certainty at the same time. The equation (delta E) * (delta t) >= (h / 4 pi) quantifies this trade-off and shows us that in order to decrease the uncertainty in one variable, we must increase the uncertainty in the other. I hope this helps clarify the concept for you.

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty at the same time.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. Why is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle important?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is important because it sets a limit on the precision with which we can measure certain properties of particles. It also has implications for our understanding of the nature of reality at a quantum level.

4. What is an example of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in action?

An example of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle in action is the measurement of an electron's position and momentum. The more precisely we measure one of these properties, the less certain we become about the other.

5. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be violated?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been extensively tested and proven to be true. It cannot be violated or circumvented.