1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heisenberg uncertainty principle (simple stuff)

1. Apr 14, 2006 #1
    I'm having a little trouble with my textbook's explanation. This is regarding the energy - time variation of the uncertainty principle; very basic stuff, so I hope helping me out won't take too much. Let me quote exactly:

"... the energy conservation can appear to be violated by an amount delta E, as long as it is only for a short time interval, delta t, consistent with the equation (delta E) * (delta t) >= (h / 4 pi )"

I understand what is being said - and it makes sense. Otherwise we'd all be noticing these 'violations' of energy conservation.
    But I don't see how it is 'consistent' with the equation. Why must delta t be small? To me, it seems more 'consistent' with the equation that delta t is large, so that the equation becomes greater than h/4pi.

Someone please help clarify. And thanks for your time.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2006 #2
    (deltaE)*(delta t) is always greater than " ". Think about it this way: If you take more measurements (greater accuracy-much data) over a longer time, say for a single body whose energy is conserved, then the uncertainty in energy tends toward zero. So, if you make a quick (inacurate-few data points) measurement the uncertainty in energy is high. This could lead you to believe that the energy was not conserved. Atleast, I think that was the point the book was trying to make.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?