Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle

In summary, the conversation revolves around understanding the uncertainty principle and its implication in quantum mechanics. The person is looking for information and resources to comprehend the concept fully and is not satisfied with a general explanation. They also discuss the mathematical background and interpretations of the uncertainty principle, as well as the role of technology in its measurement. They mention some recommended readings and thank others for their help in understanding the topic.
Bassalisk
I am trying to understand fully the concept of this principle. But this uncertainty stuff confuses me. Can someone give me the link, or some material so I can work mathematics behind this mechanism.

Its not that principle it self is the problem, I have glimpse what's going on, but the mechanics of the uncertainty mechanism is confusing me. If it is possible, detailed and NOT general answer. I am kind of guy that wants to understand all, and not just accept it.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:
I am trying to understand fully the concept of this principle. But this uncertainty stuff confuses me. Can someone give me the link, or some material so I can work mathematics behind this mechanism.

Its not that principle it self is the problem, I have glimpse what's going on, but the mechanics of the uncertainty mechanism is confusing me. If it is possible, detailed and NOT general answer. I am kind of guy that wants to understand all, and not just accept it.

Thank you

If you could explain what parts you don't understand, then maybe myself or someone else will go over it for you.

QuantumClue said:
If you could explain what parts you don't understand, then maybe myself or someone else will go over it for you.

I do not understand this uncertainty concept in general, i believe there is a mathematical background behind it.

Bassalisk said:
I do not understand this uncertainty concept in general, i believe there is a mathematical background behind it.

All it says is that if you confine a particle to a very accurate location, it will have a very unprecise trajectory. Say [tex]\Delta x[/tex] is a very precise location, so [tex]\Delta p[/tex] indicates a very unprecise momentum. This is a direct result of the experiments which are performed on a particle system. You try and locate a particle with a photon, and the photon locates it's position well, but a result of it will be an instanteous undefined momentum. And vice versa, it works also the other way around. So your expression in whole is [tex]\Delta x \Delta p[/tex] which is either equal or greater than Plancks constant, which is [tex]\hbar[/tex].

Bassalisk said:

Thank you

There's a statistical interpretation one can give to the mathematical relation. A useful read is Leslie Ballentine's article in the Review of Modern Physics from 1970. http://rmp.aps.org/abstract/RMP/v42/i4/p358_1

Is this uncertainty stuff all consequence of lack of technology to determine those or consequence of nature? But this clears thing so far.

Thanks

Bassalisk said:
Is this uncertainty stuff all consequence of lack of technology to determine those or consequence of nature? But this clears thing so far.

Thanks

For people who still believe in determinism, one can still view the Uncertainty Principle as a lack of knowledge on the system, but one cannot say this is due to a lack of technology.

Thanks

The uncertainty principle is a fundamental limit, not an artifact of poorly constructed measuring devices--it tells you what sorts of measuring devices are possible in principle.

If you need any more information, you could always reference "Fabric of the Cosmos" by Brian Greene.

This post proves the theorem and contains additional comments that you might find useful.

Fredrik said:
This post proves the theorem and contains additional comments that you might find useful.

Thanks i will check this and those books out, you were all very helpful

Bassalisk said:

The mathematics is fully given in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncertainty_relation#Mathematical_derivations

The interpretation is that you cannot assign to a quantum particle position x more accurately than <x>+-Delta x and momentum p more accurately than <p>+-Delta p, where Delta x times
Delta p would be smaller than hbar/2. However, within these accuracy limits, you can (in principle).

Pursuit of Knowledge
-- James Ph. Kotsybar

The world we know has a fuzzy border
at the limit of our best perception --
there’s more probability than order
and certainty is a misconception.

Simultaneity just seems absurd,
since Einstein’s explained relativity --
observers can’t know when they’ve seen or heard
an event, without subjectivity.

The very atoms of which we are made
partly reside in hidden dimensions --
there may be a multiverse unassayed
where we’ll lose nearly all our conventions,
but we must keep researching even though
we only find out how little we know.

1. What is Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics, which states that it is impossible to know the exact position and momentum of a particle at the same time. This means that the more precisely we measure one of these properties, the less precisely we can measure the other.

2. How was Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle discovered?

The principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. He realized that the act of measuring a particle's position with a high degree of accuracy would disturb its momentum, and vice versa. This was a groundbreaking discovery that challenged classical physics and paved the way for quantum mechanics.

3. What is the mathematical equation for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle?

The mathematical equation for Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is Δx * Δp ≥ h/4π, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and h is Planck's constant. This equation quantifies the trade-off between the uncertainties in position and momentum.

4. How does Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the physical world?

Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for our understanding of the physical world. It shows that the behavior of subatomic particles cannot be predicted with certainty, and there will always be a level of uncertainty in our measurements. This principle also highlights the limitations of classical physics and the need for a new framework to explain the behavior of particles on a microscopic level.

5. Can Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It is a fundamental property of the universe and cannot be violated. However, it is possible to reduce the uncertainty in one property by sacrificing the precision in the other, but the total uncertainty will always abide by the principle's mathematical equation.