1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helium microwave experiment

Tags:
  1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    For a science fair experiment me and my partner are working on creating plasma in a microwave.Our hypothesis is that if the manipulability of plasma is affected by the type of gas used, then plasma will react to magnetic fields differently depending on the gas that has been ionised. Because gases with a higher atomic number (more electrons) will - upon ionisation - affect the versatility of the plasma when exposed to magnetic fields. Our methedology is as follows:
    1. Light a match and place it on a small raised surface inside a microwave
    2. Fill a glass bowl/beaker with Helium, upside down so it doesn’t escape (because helium is lighter than air).
    3. Cover the match with the bowl/beaker, leaving a slight gap so air can ventilate the match.
    4. Close the microwave door and turn it on for 15-20 seconds
    5. Place electromagnet directly outside the microwave door
    I was wondering if this experiment was safe and do-able since it worked whenidny fill the beaker with helium.
    Thanks in advance
    sciencekid

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 21, 2014 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Helium is inert, so you should be just as safe using it as you are using normal air. I assume you've already done this experiment with regular air?

4. Aug 21, 2014 #3
    Yes we have done the experiment with air, and it worked brilliantly just as we had expected

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook