Helium tank filling parts to a specific pressure?

In summary, the problem involves a tank with 8000 cubic feet of helium at a pressure of 1 bar and a constant temperature. The goal is to fill parts with a volume of 0.05 cubic feet to a gage pressure of 0.5 bar. To determine the amount of helium in each part, one must consider the difference between gage and absolute pressure. The correct calculation would be 0.05 cubic feet * 1.5 bar, assuming the initial pressure in the tank is 1 bar. The size of the tank is unknown.
rothrj

Homework Statement

I have a tank that has 8000 cubic feet of helium in it. I have parts I'm filling to a gage pressure of 0.5 bar. The parts have a volume of 0.05ft^3. How many cubic feet of helium are in each part? Temperature is constant.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure if I'm missing any important variables...

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured it would be 0.05ft^3 * 0.5 bar = 0.025 cubic feet per part, but I'm not sure?

Any help? (I'm a rookie)

Physics news on Phys.org
Please note that the parts are being filled "to a gage pressure of 0.5 bar" and recognize the significance of gage pressure as opposed to absolute pressure.

Also is the He gas in the 8000 ft3 tank at 1 atm pressure? If so, one has to compress the He from an initial pressure to the higher pressure in the part.

So do I use absolute pressure instead of gage pressure? So 1.5 bar instead of 0.5 bar?

The 8000 ft^3 is the amount of He inside the tank at 1 bar not the size of the tank. I'm not sure what the size of the tank is.

1. What is the purpose of helium tank filling parts?

The purpose of helium tank filling parts is to regulate the flow and pressure of helium gas into a tank. These parts include valves, regulators, gauges, and hoses.

2. How does the pressure of the tank affect the filling process?

The pressure of the tank plays a crucial role in determining the amount of helium gas that can be filled. If the pressure is too low, the tank may not reach its desired capacity. If the pressure is too high, it can cause damage to the tank or the filling parts.

3. What is the ideal pressure for filling a helium tank?

The ideal pressure for filling a helium tank depends on the capacity and size of the tank, as well as the intended use of the helium. Generally, the pressure should be high enough to fill the tank to its desired capacity, but not so high that it causes damage to the tank or filling parts.

4. How do you ensure the desired pressure is reached during the filling process?

To ensure the desired pressure is reached during the filling process, it is important to use reliable and accurate pressure gauges. Regular calibration of these gauges is also recommended to ensure accurate readings. Additionally, following recommended filling procedures and using appropriate filling parts can help maintain the desired pressure.

5. What precautions should be taken when filling a helium tank to a specific pressure?

When filling a helium tank to a specific pressure, it is important to follow recommended safety guidelines and procedures. This may include wearing protective gear, using appropriate filling parts, and monitoring the pressure closely. It is also important to ensure the tank is properly secured and not overfilled, as this can cause dangerous situations.