Helium tank filling parts to a specific pressure?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
rothrj
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I have a tank that has 8000 cubic feet of helium in it. I have parts I'm filling to a gage pressure of 0.5 bar. The parts have a volume of 0.05ft^3. How many cubic feet of helium are in each part? Temperature is constant.

Homework Equations


I'm not sure if I'm missing any important variables...


The Attempt at a Solution


I figured it would be 0.05ft^3 * 0.5 bar = 0.025 cubic feet per part, but I'm not sure?

Any help? (I'm a rookie)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Please note that the parts are being filled "to a gage pressure of 0.5 bar" and recognize the significance of gage pressure as opposed to absolute pressure.

Also is the He gas in the 8000 ft3 tank at 1 atm pressure? If so, one has to compress the He from an initial pressure to the higher pressure in the part.
 
So do I use absolute pressure instead of gage pressure? So 1.5 bar instead of 0.5 bar?

The 8000 ft^3 is the amount of He inside the tank at 1 bar not the size of the tank. I'm not sure what the size of the tank is.