1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helium tank filling parts to a specific pressure?

1. May 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have a tank that has 8000 cubic feet of helium in it. I have parts I'm filling to a gage pressure of 0.5 bar. The parts have a volume of 0.05ft^3. How many cubic feet of helium are in each part? Temperature is constant.

2. Relevant equations
    I'm not sure if I'm missing any important variables...

3. The attempt at a solution
    I figured it would be 0.05ft^3 * 0.5 bar = 0.025 cubic feet per part, but I'm not sure?

Any help? (I'm a rookie)

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2012 #2

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Please note that the parts are being filled "to a gage pressure of 0.5 bar" and recognize the significance of gage pressure as opposed to absolute pressure.

Also is the He gas in the 8000 ft3 tank at 1 atm pressure? If so, one has to compress the He from an initial pressure to the higher pressure in the part.

4. May 16, 2012 #3
    So do I use absolute pressure instead of gage pressure? So 1.5 bar instead of 0.5 bar?

The 8000 ft^3 is the amount of He inside the tank at 1 bar not the size of the tank. I'm not sure what the size of the tank is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook