What Mathematical Symbol Represents a Singularity?

• Thread starter Mark Childerley
  • Start date
In summary, the mathematical symbol for a singularity is represented by a small dot or circle with no dimensions, known as a point. This symbol is used to denote an infinitely small and dense object, often found in theories of relativity and black holes. It represents the idea of a point where the laws of physics break down and traditional equations and measurements are no longer applicable. This concept is essential in understanding the universe and its most extreme phenomena.
Mark Childerley
Hello, I am a 47 year thicko whom has undertaken the writing of a science fiction novel. I am learning about science as i go along. I am trying to find a mathmatical symbol that represents a singularity, can anyone help?

Thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

In answer to your question, I can't think of one but other posters here at PF may know of one.

Since its science-fiction and perhaps alien math then you could invent one for your novel from the notion that 1/x at x=0 is undefined or perhaps some variation of the infinity symbol ##\infty## or something like a circle with a dot at the center or the infinity sign with a dot over it.

It couldn't be too complex because mathematicians would want to use it efficiently.

If you want to continue this discussion then I suggest you open a thread in the appropriate Math forum like General Math.

We also have a science fiction forum that you could post to as well.

Please take some time to read PF rules (INFO tab) too as we don't in general discuss personal theories or speculative science topics but science fiction type question in the science fiction forum are usually okay.

Thank you very much for your reply. I will further my quest in the appropriate threads.

Mark