Hello, Some advice choosing academic field for 3rd world country guy please.

In summary, the person is seeking advice on which career to choose and is interested in science and engineering. They have issues with studying and are looking for guidance on how to excel in math and physics. They also mention their interest in science fiction and documentaries, but are aware that this is not enough to pursue a career in physics. The person still has time to explore their interests and make a decision on a career path.
AlexES16
Hello people, this is my 1st time posting in the forum and its very nice.

Well the thing is that i don't know what career to choose, I would like to be a engineer or something that have to do with science. I like Isaac Asimov Sci Fi (Sci Fi in general) , love thinking about future of science, robots and all that stuff, like to watch string theory or those sort of programs in Discovery, Ngeo, and like computers, and find theoretical physics interesting. But the thing is i really don't do well in Physic class( i am in 1st of bachierato and the last year of school is 2d year of bachierato, so i only left like 1 year and 5 months to choose a career) or chemistry, but i find math easy, physics is easy when i study, and math the same. I am one of those students who study one day before exam(i know that is bad),.
Well i like to do sudokus hoping it will improve my brain, but i think the thing in school i that i don't really study , i am kinda lazy for school, but i remember as a kid my grade was the best of the final math exam, so i don't think i have brain problems(Well i practice boxing a year a go in the summer vacation, but looks like brain recovers). In my country El Salvador there are system engineering, computer science engineering are they good? do they have future?
What about civil engineering??. Please people i need some advice to choose a career. How much time a day studying i need to be one of the top in math, physics(i don't like chemistry). Please some advice will be good.

PS: Sorry for the long story and for my english, i live in El Salvador, Central America.

Physics news on Phys.org
It sounds to me like you're already well aware of some study habit issues to me. If you choose a career in science or engineering, a lazy "study the night before" approach isn't going to carry you through university. If you want to excel, and go on to do a PhD for example, you need to put in the time and develop some good study habits.

Also you need more than an interest in science fiction and discovery channel documentaries to pursue something like physics. I'm not trying to discourage you, but the people who do really well in these subjects are the ones who pursue them outside of school - the ones who spend time in the library reading up on topics that interest them, or take on projects outside of those assigned to them.

Seeing as how you're not even in university yet, you still have a lot of time to make a decision on a career path. Explore the interests you have and as you advance you're likely to find one area that stands out as the one for you among the rest.

Hello, it's great to hear that you are interested in pursuing a career in engineering or a field related to science. It's important to choose a field that you are passionate about and that aligns with your interests and skills. From what you have shared, it seems like you have a strong interest in theoretical physics and computer science, which are both fields with a lot of potential for growth and development in the future.

In terms of your concerns about not doing well in physics and chemistry classes, it's important to remember that these subjects can be challenging for many students, and it's not a reflection of your intelligence or potential. It's important to continue studying and practicing these subjects, as they are fundamental to many fields in science and engineering. You can also seek out additional resources, such as tutors or online resources, to help strengthen your understanding in these areas.

As for the specific fields you mentioned, system engineering and computer science engineering are both great options that have a lot of potential for growth and development in the future. Civil engineering is also a valuable field, especially in developing countries where infrastructure development is crucial.

In terms of studying, it's important to find a balance between studying and taking care of yourself. It's not necessary to study for hours and hours every day, but rather to focus on quality studying and understanding the material. It's also important to take breaks and engage in activities that you enjoy to avoid burnout.

Overall, my advice would be to continue exploring your interests and seeking out opportunities for learning and growth in your chosen field. With hard work and dedication, you can excel in any field you choose. Good luck!

What factors should I consider when choosing an academic field for a 3rd world country?

The most important factor to consider is the needs and demands of the country. Look at the current job market and the skills that are in demand. Additionally, consider your own interests and strengths to find a field that aligns with both the country's needs and your personal goals.

What are some fields that are in high demand in 3rd world countries?

Some fields that are typically in high demand in 3rd world countries include healthcare, education, agriculture, and technology. These fields are essential for the development and improvement of these countries.

How can I ensure my chosen academic field will make a positive impact in a 3rd world country?

Research and understand the specific challenges and needs of the country you are interested in. Choose a field that addresses these issues and has the potential to make a real difference in the lives of the people living there.

What resources are available for students from 3rd world countries to pursue education in their chosen field?

Many organizations and programs offer scholarships and financial aid specifically for students from 3rd world countries. Additionally, some universities have partnerships and exchange programs with institutions in these countries, making education more accessible.

What advice do you have for someone from a 3rd world country looking to pursue higher education in a foreign country?

Do thorough research on the country and university you are interested in. Consider the cost of living, cultural differences, and any language barriers. Network with other students or professionals from your home country who have pursued education abroad for advice and support.