Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Helmholtz coil with a ferrous core

1. Apr 12, 2007 #1
    Dear all,
    I know that I can create a uniform field using the design of a Helmholtz coil with an air-core. However, if I use a ferrous core like iron, will I still be able to create a uniform field under the same conditions? Also, how is the equation for the magnetic field, B, changed when I add a ferrous core to the center of a Helmholtz coil?

Thanks in advance,
    Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 12, 2007 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Are you trying to generate a uniform field inside the object?

4. Apr 12, 2007 #3
    No. I am trying to create a uniform field between a pair of electromagnets just like the field inbetween any pair of helmholtz coils. Thanks.

5. Apr 12, 2007 #4

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This type of magnet used to be universally used for NMR, and can still be purchased, e.g.
    http://www.walkerldjscientific.com/Products/Product_Lines/Electromagnetics/electromagnetics.html"

The iron yoke concentrates all of the return flux lines, dramatically increasing the field strength in the useful region, and the two poles concentrate the flux even further. To design a high quality magnet takes more knowledge of electromagnetism and materials than can be provided in a post. Homogeneity depends critically on the size and shape of the pole pieces, and how close to saturation magnetization the iron is, for instance. Suggest you get a copy of a text like Reitz and Milford, Foundations of Electromagnetism, and do some background study. Then take a look online at sites like
    http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/2404/Elect67.htm"

Of course if you aren't too concerned about homogeneity, field strength, electrical efficiency, etc., you can just fool around and see what results.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook