Help/Advice Wanted: Graeme's Career Dilemma

• Thread starter graeme01
  • Start date
In summary, the person is 21 years old and has been sponsored by Shell through an engineering college for the past 2 and a half years. They have been working as a mechanical fitter but are now considering pursuing a full-time degree in mechanical engineering after being turned down by their current company for a part-time degree. They have received offers from two universities and are unsure of which route to take. They also express concerns about the value of their current qualifications and work experience.
graeme01
Hi

Right basically after some advice from you lot that have a lot more work and life experience than me

My carreer so far:

Im currentley 21 and i left school at 16 to join an engineering college which has got a very good reputation in the uk. It is called TTE if anyone knows of it. I was sponsored by Shell through this college with the first two years based at the college doing broadbased engineering ( process, power and control and mechanical) with a couple weeks work experience on site. I then went down the route of mechanical (not entirley out of choice but there was no places left for power and control and i didnt want to be an operator at the time) and spent the last 18 months of the apprentiship on site at shell stanlow doing pure mechanical fitting.
This has consisted of overhauling different kit form the plants such as compressors, sundine pumps and basic pumps like single overhung and vil's, pit pumps, turbines, ( also spent time in the TA hall with the 6 huge turbo alternators) i have worked on the plants themselves including the catalytic cracker, distillation, chemicals and oils units, and the tankage side of the site.

I have undertaken my HNC partime in mechanical engineering which i am due to finish in june this year with triple distinction overall grade.

I have now worked on site for about 2 1/2 years and I am currentley in the central workshops in the valve shop which oversees the overhauling of all releif valves, pilot valves, pressure vacuum valves and so on.

later on last year i started to doubt that this is actually what i wnated to do with the rest of my life ( mechanical fitter ) so i approached the company and asked to do a part time degree to open up some doors for me and they basically turned round and said come back in a few years, do some a levels in pure maths and physics and we will consider it then.

A little annoyed and wondering what to do i applied to univeristies full time and got all five offers back for mech engineering includiong two offers from univerisity of Leeds and university of aston which i was very proud of. These offers were based on my personal statement, work experience and distinction grade hnc.

Basically I am now stressing out wondering what the best thing to do is? whether to leave work and take study up full time, hopefully getting a decent grade from one of the two above decent univeristy's and then get an engineering graduate job which may be a bit more challenging for me.

In the meantime the site is now in the process of changing hands to a company called essar which is due to be finalised in june this year so I'm now wondering if their speal of wanting to expand peoples careers and improve their opportunites is worth staying on for.

Im just not sure if Mech engineering is really for me. I mean i have a keen interest in modified cars and modern engineering ideas and techniques but overhauling old fashioned pumps that are older then me isn't really what i had in mind. I know the moneys good and i will earn roughly a shade over 30 grand this year which for an undergraduate at my age is really good but I am just not enjoying it.

Another side of the story is that all of us that left school just don't feel as though we have lived life as much as people going to college and then onto univeristy were we were just blinkered by the prospects of money without doing a degree and now we are stuck in the same job at the young age of 21

Anyone offer any advice on what different routes i could take? It will all be taken on board so don't be afraid of putting it bluntly.

Many regards

Graeme

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations on your HNC results.

You didn't make it entirely clear what degree courses you have been accepted on.

If you wanted to do a BSc or BEng degree at universities like Nottingham, Sheffield, Southampton, etc, you would certainly need the equivalent of good A levels in maths and phyiscs (i.e. A or B grades). I don't know how your HNC compares with that, or if it covered all parts of the A level course or just those relevant to your HNC subjects. From what Shell said, apparently they wanted you to actually get the A levels.

On the other hand there are universities which are less demanding about entry requirements, but the downside is their degrees may be less valuable (i.e. this isn't a free lunch). Again, I don't know anything specifically about Leeds or Aston. I work for a big engineering company in the UK and we have regular contacts with about 12 universities in the UK, but not those two.

On the positive side, what you have got is a good qualification from college, and some good practical work experience with a big well-known company. Those two things should get you a foot in the door in engineering whatever field you want to work in, without any more qualifications.

the degree cousre is Beng in mechanical engineering, Leeds is ranked 21 and aston 41. I know this isn't the be all end all as there different on each rankings but gives an idea.

Try and find out what the drop-out rate was for those courses in past years. That would give you an idea how "speculative" their admissions requirements are.

If a course is oversubscribed, the dropout rate tends to be low because even if the selection process isn't perfect, the weaker applicants will tend to have less chance of getting on the course.

On the other hand if a course is undersubscribed, in the current financial climate the college may take the cynical view that getting one year's tuition fees out of somebody and then failing them is a better financial deal (for them!) than getting nothing.

Note, I'm not implying anything for or against those two courses, because I don't have any information - I'm just pointing out something that could be worth checking.

Hi Graeme,

Thank you for reaching out for advice on your career dilemma. It sounds like you have already accomplished a lot in your young career, and it's great that you are considering your options and seeking advice from those with more experience.

Firstly, I want to commend you on your hard work and dedication to your education and apprenticeship. You have gained valuable experience in the field and have achieved a high level of academic success. This is something to be proud of and will serve you well in whatever path you choose.

It is understandable that you are feeling uncertain about your current career path and are considering other options. It is important to explore different interests and find what truly makes you happy. You mentioned your interest in modified cars and modern engineering ideas and techniques. Have you considered exploring these interests further and potentially incorporating them into your career? Perhaps there are opportunities in the automotive industry that align with your passions and skills.

Additionally, it may be worth considering taking some time to reflect on your goals and what you want to achieve in your career. Are you looking for a challenging and diverse role? Do you want to work in a specific industry or for a particular type of company? These are important factors to consider when making a decision about your future.

As for your current job and the company's proposed expansion, it is ultimately up to you to decide if you want to stay and see how things develop or if you want to pursue other opportunities. Keep in mind that there is no right or wrong answer, and it's important to prioritize your own happiness and fulfillment in your career.

In terms of different routes you could take, you mentioned the possibility of leaving work and pursuing a full-time degree. This could be a great opportunity to gain more knowledge and skills in your field and potentially open up new career opportunities. However, it is also important to consider the financial implications of this decision and if it is feasible for you at this time.

Ultimately, the best advice I can give is to follow your passions and do what makes you happy. It may take some time and exploration to discover your true calling, but with your determination and drive, I have no doubt that you will find success in whatever path you choose. Best of luck to you, Graeme.

Related to Help/Advice Wanted: Graeme's Career Dilemma

What is the career dilemma that Graeme is facing?

Graeme is struggling with deciding whether to pursue a career in academia or in industry. He is unsure which path would be the best fit for his skills, interests, and goals.

What factors should Graeme consider when making this decision?

Graeme should consider his personal interests and strengths, job opportunities and market demand in both academia and industry, potential salary and benefits, and his long-term career goals.

What advice can you give to Graeme in this situation?

It is important for Graeme to thoroughly research and explore both options before making a decision. He should also seek advice from professionals in both academia and industry, and consider internships or job shadowing to gain insight into each field.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of pursuing a career in academia?

Some benefits of pursuing a career in academia include the opportunity for intellectual freedom and research, potential for tenure and job security, and the ability to mentor and teach students. However, drawbacks may include a competitive job market, lower salaries compared to industry, and the pressure to publish and secure funding.

What are the benefits and drawbacks of pursuing a career in industry?

Pursuing a career in industry may offer higher salaries, job stability, and opportunities for career advancement. However, some drawbacks may include less flexibility and creativity in work, a faster-paced environment, and potential for job outsourcing or layoffs.