Navigating my Senior Year: Surviving Engineering Mechanics

In summary, the student is an applied math major in their senior year and needs to take an electromagnetism course in the spring. They have not taken a calculus-based physics course before and are concerned about their preparation for the course. Their math advisor believes they will be fine due to their previous exposure to calculus, but the student is worried about their knowledge of mechanics. They ask for suggestions on what to study before the class and another student recommends reading the EM chapters in a textbook and focusing on vector calculus and differential equations. The student also mentions that the EM course they are taking is not based on a textbook and may require studying old exams.
SolaScriptura
Hi,

I'm an applied math major and this is my senior year. I was suppose to get EM over with last fall but I transferred institutions and they didn't offer it in the fall. So I was going to take It in the spring but my schedule didn't allow it. Now I have to take it in the spring and I have to take it calculus based. I did general physics I not university physics I. My math advisor says I should be fine because I've seen a lot of the calculus already. However, I'm worried that I might not do so well since I've forgotten a lot of the material from gen phisics I. So what should I study before EM? How mush does EM depends on your knowledge from mechanics? Thanks. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also, I'm an honor student with a 3.84 GPA.

Physics news on Phys.org
From my experience E&M is not all that closely related to mechanics although you will see some similar terms and some of the calculations are similar (i.e. adding up force vectors in the x and y directions). Be warned though, most find E&M significantly more difficult than mechanics (I know I did)--it feels a lot more abstract. The calculus--from my experience--is not all that advanced. Good luck.

Thanks. What do you think i should touch base on before the class?

Last edited:
Hey, I had a similar situation where I ended up going back to my physics degree roughly 7 years after I had taken college level General Physics I & II. If you can afford to I would recommend reading through the EM chapters of the excellent Halliday and Resnick intro text. As far as math preparation, vector calculus is crucial and differential equations is very helpful.

I'm not sure what sort of EM course you are talking about here.

You said "I have to take it calculus based" which seems to imply it is a fairly elementary level course if there is a non-calculus-based alternative. In that case you probabably don't need to revise anything much.

On the other hand, the EM course that I did in my final year as part of an applied math degree (many years ago on the UK) was at least 90% vector calculus, Fourier series, complex analysis, PDEs etc, and not "elementary" in any sense of the word - though again, it didn't presuppose much knowledge of physics.

To alephZero

It's called university physics 2 and it's not algebra based like general physics 2 but calculus based. Both gen physics 2 and university physics 2 cover Electro magnetism.

To factorsof2

The problem is that the professor who teaches this course doesn't go by the book( the book you recommended is the book for the course). Most people tell me that the book wasn't helpful for the course and that they just studied off old exams. This is why I'm a little more concerned than usual. Also, I've taken cal 3 and diffy q and got an A in both of these courses.

I took a simple engineering EM course. It was just vector calculus .. and maybe like 5-10% physics.

1. What is Engineering Mechanics?

Engineering Mechanics is a branch of engineering that deals with the application of physical principles to solve problems in the field of engineering. It involves the study of forces, motion, and energy to understand and design structures and machines.

2. Why is Navigating my Senior Year important for Surviving Engineering Mechanics?

Senior year is a crucial time in an engineering student's academic journey as it involves advanced courses and the completion of a capstone project. Navigating this year successfully is essential for understanding the fundamentals of Engineering Mechanics and preparing for a career in the field.

3. What challenges can I expect in Engineering Mechanics during my Senior Year?

Some common challenges in Engineering Mechanics during senior year include complex problem-solving, time management, and balancing coursework with other responsibilities. Additionally, the application of theory to real-world problems can also be challenging.

4. How can I prepare for Surviving Engineering Mechanics in my Senior Year?

To prepare for Engineering Mechanics in your senior year, it is essential to have a strong foundation in mathematics, physics, and basic engineering principles. It is also helpful to review and practice previous coursework and seek guidance from professors or tutors if needed.

5. What resources are available to help me navigate my Senior Year in Engineering Mechanics?

Your university or college may offer resources such as tutoring, study groups, and academic advising to help you navigate your senior year in Engineering Mechanics. Additionally, online resources, such as practice problems and video tutorials, can also be beneficial in understanding and mastering the concepts.