Help Choose Next Year's High School Schedule for a Junior

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Choice
In summary: I would recommend trying to balance out the classes. You can spend more time in AP Bio if you're interested in the subject, and less time in AP Calculus and AP Computer Science. However, if you're interested in all of the AP classes, then you should try to balance them out.
AznBoi
I need to choose the best schedule for next year (I'm going to be a Junior in High school). Please help me decide which option I should go with. Thanks!

1st choice: (7 Classes)
AP Calculus
APUSH
AP Biology
AP Enviornmental science
English 11 H (Highest English 11 class in our school)
Chemistry H (Highest Chemistry class in our school)
Spanish 2

2nd choice: (7 Classes)
AP Calculus
APUSH
AP Biology
AP Computer Science
AP Environmental Science
English 11 H (Highest English 11 class in our school)
Spanish 2

-Feel free to arrange the classes in which you think is most rigorous. I would like around 1-2 hours of free time everyday for other things so please apply this restriction also. Also, should I take AP Stats or AP Enivornmental Science or replace them with AP Computer science? Please read below before considering, Thanks! :smile:

Ok, here's the deal. I haven't taken Chemistry, and I heard that it is better that you take it Junior year because the majority of people do (according to the Chem teacher). He said that taking Chemistry next year would put me on par with all of the other kids would supposedly have taken Chemistry in their Junior year. Is this true? If so, should I take Chemistry Honors over AP Computer Science? Will the honors class be counted like an AP class since it is the highest Chemistry class we have?

Also, both Chemistry Honors and AP Computer Science are taught by the same teacher and he doesn't teach AT ALL. All the students do everyday is talking about irrelevant topics and therefore the teacher doesn't teach everyone else. The thing is that his tests are super hard and not curved so many people end up failing the tests and getting mostly C's and B's. Also, I think Chemistry Honors is harder than AP Comp Sci so I will end up studying a few more hours more than the AP class. They should be weighted relatively the same though right?

Also, please tell me how hard this class is from the grades of students that are taking the Chemistry Honors class:

4 people have A's
7 people have B's
14 people have C's
6 people have D's
4 people have F's

I've asked people about the workload of this class and they said it would take around 1-2 hours of studying every other day and around 3-5 before tests! Thanks for helping me decide!

Physics news on Phys.org
The way I see it, environmental science is a waste of a class. Most colleges will not take credit for the AP test. However, if it really interests you, you should take it.

I would see both chemistry and computer science as more beneficial than environmental science.

The thing is that I might not be able to handle all the hard tests from the same teacher. Also, what if I don't like the teacher later on? People say he doesn't like to help much because he's lazy. I'm interested in AP Bio very much and therefore all of the life sciences. It's also very easy and an easy A I guess so yeah. Do you seriously think I can handle 5 AP classes and 1 Honors and still have 1-2 hours of free time every day? * I can study pretty much the whole day, everyday.

i always take a), unless i like c).

AznBoi said:
The thing is that I might not be able to handle all the hard tests from the same teacher. Also, what if I don't like the teacher later on? People say he doesn't like to help much because he's lazy. I'm interested in AP Bio very much and therefore all of the life sciences. It's also very easy and an easy A I guess so yeah. Do you seriously think I can handle 5 AP classes and 1 Honors and still have 1-2 hours of free time every day? * I can study pretty much the whole day, everyday.

I'm not sure what you can handle or can't handle. I don't know your abilities. I was able to, but ap classes can be different from high school to school. Like I said, I never found ap classes difficult.

Furthermore, if you don't like a teacher who teaches a class, tough luck and get over it. If you are interested in the subject, then you should take the class, regardless of the teacher.

But one teacher can make it so hard on you that you'll get bad grades in the class and it may even have a domino effect on other classes. =[ I'm just afraid of spending all of my time working on chemistry and not enough in others. Should I try to balance all of the classes out or just work on excelling in a couple of them. Any other opinions?

Related to Help Choose Next Year's High School Schedule for a Junior

1. What factors should be considered when choosing a high school schedule for a junior?

When choosing a high school schedule for a junior, it is important to consider their academic goals and interests, any required courses for graduation, availability of classes, and extracurricular activities or commitments.

2. How many classes should a junior take in a year?

Most high schools require juniors to take between 6-8 classes per year. However, this may vary depending on the student's individual needs and schedule.

3. Can a junior choose their own classes?

In most cases, juniors are given the opportunity to choose their own classes with the guidance of their school counselors. However, there may be some required courses that must be taken.

4. Is it better to take more challenging courses or stick with easier ones?

It is important for juniors to challenge themselves academically, but it is also important to find a balance. Taking some challenging courses can help prepare them for college, but it is also important to not overwhelm themselves and to maintain a good GPA.

5. How can I make sure I am on track for graduation with my chosen schedule?

It is important for juniors to regularly meet with their school counselors to ensure they are taking the necessary courses for graduation. They can also track their progress by checking their school's graduation requirements and keeping a record of the courses they have taken and still need to take.