1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help double integral over a region question

1. Oct 29, 2009 #1
    I've tried this question with many different ways and i always got -11.576, but the autograder always marked it wrong. so hopefully i really did something wrong and you can teach me about it.

find the double integral of -3*x*y - 3*y over the region bounded by x^2 + y^2 = 9, y = 3x, and y = 0.

Thanks very much!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kidzonety! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

The obvious way is to convert to polar coordinates (though of course you could also do it in x and y) …

I expect you've already tried that, but anyway show us how you did it, and then we'll see what went wrong, and we'll know how to help! :smile:

4. Oct 30, 2009 #3
    Okay.
    I just first converted the function to polar one which became -3*r3*cos(o)*sin(o) - 3*r2*sin(o) drdo
    and just double integrate this over 0 <= r <= 3, and arctan(3) <= o <= pi/2.

5. Oct 30, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kidzonety! :smile:

(have a theta: θ and an integral: ∫ and a ≤ :wink:)
    ok (except it's 0 ≤ θ ≤ arctan(3)) … now split that into two integrals, ∫∫-3*r3*cosθ*sinθ drdθ and ∫∫-3*r2*sinθ drdθ,

which are now just ∫-3*r3dr*∫cosθ*sinθdθ and ∫-3*r2dr∫sinθdθ :smile:

6. Oct 30, 2009 #5

hey tiny-tim,
    Ive found my mistake.
    Thanks very much for your suggestions and advice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook