Help Factorise an equation with fraction index?

In summary, to factorise an equation with a fraction index, you first need to find common factors in both the numerator and denominator. Then, rewrite the fraction index using the laws of exponents and factorise the equation normally. This process can also be applied to equations with a negative fraction index or multiple variables. It is also possible to factorise equations with a fraction index that is not in simplest form, but simplifying the index beforehand can make the process easier. However, the quadratic formula cannot be used to factorise equations with a fraction index, as it is only applicable to quadratic equations with an exponent of 2.
ThomasJoe40
Hello, all,

I am here is to ask how can I factorise an equation with fraction indeces?? (Help~)

The question I have got is x^(3/2) + a^(3/2), and the suggested method is using the factor theorem... but I just don't understand how could that works...

However, I would be very grateful if somebody could give me a hint~

Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex]x^3+y^3=(x+y)(x^2-xy+y^2)[/tex]

Oh, gosh, thanks a lot mate, I haven't thought of this way before...

1. How do I factorise an equation with a fraction index?

To factorise an equation with a fraction index, first find the common factors in both the numerator and denominator of the fraction. Then, use the laws of exponents to rewrite the fraction index as a whole number. Finally, factorise the equation as you would normally.

2. Can I factorise an equation with a negative fraction index?

Yes, you can factorise an equation with a negative fraction index. Just remember that a negative exponent means the base is in the denominator. So, you will need to move any negative exponents to the denominator before factoring.

3. What if the equation has multiple variables and a fraction index?

If the equation has multiple variables and a fraction index, you can still factorise it using the same steps as before. Just make sure to keep track of each variable's exponent and factor them accordingly.

4. Is it possible to factorise an equation with a fraction index that is not in simplest form?

Yes, it is possible to factorise an equation with a fraction index that is not in simplest form. Just make sure to simplify the fraction index before factoring, as it will make the process easier.

5. Can I use the quadratic formula to factorise an equation with a fraction index?

No, the quadratic formula cannot be used to factorise an equation with a fraction index. The quadratic formula is used to solve quadratic equations, which have an exponent of 2. Fraction indices, on the other hand, involve higher exponents and require a different approach to factorise.